Tell me about lorries

FairyLights

Visit site
I have 2 horses which me and DH ride at weekends. Am looking to get some transport to go to competitions and also to get to other areas to hack out.DH has a HGV class 1 . Please let me know about running coasts for vehicles. We cant take 2 in a 3.5 tonne as will be over weight. IS there a 5.5 tonne horse lorry available? what about plating etc?
Help please.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a 6.5 ton it has a payload of just over 1.8 with a driver and a full tank of fuel .
Mine has a slide out so you get around 2 with no payload that's on an iveco 6.5 chassis ( they now do a 7 which will give a huge payload for two horses)
4.5 tons will do two horses hard to find second hand as there's huge demand for them .

FireFly29

Visit site
I have a 7.5t lorry and running costs are about £350 insurance and breakdown cover, about £140 for the actual M.O.T/plating, I think £180 tax, and service was roughly £450 last year.
My lorry diesel costs work out at about 50p per mile, so if I go to a show 30 miles away it costs me roughly £30 in diesel to get there and back.
Hope that helps a bit!
:)

turnbuckle

Visit site
If yr OH has an HGV1 and is on permanent chauffeur duty, you may find that you get more for your buck with a proper HGV than with a 7.5T because the market is smaller.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I sold my HGV when they started to enforce drivers hours even for leisure vehicles. For example you can't work all week Mon to Fri and then go to a weekend show as you would then be driving 7 days. Or to 2 outings in a weekend.

I was very happy with my 7.5 tonne, Leyland Daf, it was fairly basic but with kitchen units, sink, hob, toilet and was still well under 6 tonnes. So plenty of weight for 2 horses.

My new one is now a 3.9 tonne, I don't know where Rog buys his from but I have found smaller than 7.5 tonne more expensive, not cheaper. BUT this may be because I would need a more expensive build for safety, whereas a 7.5 tonne is just easier to accommodate large, mobile, sometimes unruly loads!

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I have a 6 ton Iveco, which is for sale. I've had it weighed and the same as Goldenstar, full tank of fuel there's still 1.8 ton to play with. I've never taken the trouble to work out how economical it is, but I know it uses about half the fuel my 7.5 ton Leyland DAF did.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a 6 ton Iveco, which is for sale. I've had it weighed and the same as Goldenstar, full tank of fuel there's still 1.8 ton to play with. I've never taken the trouble to work out how economical it is, but I know it uses about half the fuel my 7.5 ton Leyland DAF did.

Mine does twice what my 7.5 ton iveco and my supercharged RR does so I am very very happy.

gunnergundog

Visit site
My 6.5 ton Iveco has 2.4 ton payload with diesel tank full. However, it is a hunting lorry, and whilst it has a cut through from cab to living, the living is somewhat more basic than what I imagine Goldenstars to be and it certainly has no 'pop out' side. When we were looking for the chassis two years ago the 6.5 tonners seemed to be a lot more expensive than comparable mileage 7.5 ton Dafs. If Rog knows where to get a good cheap one, then pick his brains! I wish I could have as we paid a premium for the chassis, but having said that it's been everything I hoped for.