tell me about rescue greyhounds?!

pippixox

Visit site
So I know there are a lot of greyhound/ wippet type enthusiasts on here!

Basically- I have been offered a 6-7 year old male greyhound x by someone who has had horses next to mine for the last 6 months.

She got him 1.5 years ago from her old farrier- who said he got upset being in the van all day while he worked. The farrier got him off some travelers. He was apparently very nervous and underweight then. That's about all I know.
He currently lives with her, in a house where she is a nanny so he is used to children (I have a 1 year old)

So he has been handed around a lot. He clearly needs some security in his life and I think I can do that for him. But husband needs convincing.

We got a rescue 2 yo girl collie 6 months ago. She has settled well and is good with other dogs. But we fostered a collie puppy who was terrified of my husband, so barked a lot at him and this has put him off getting a second dog.

Troy (the greyhound) played with my dog Sky in the barn today and they seemed to get on well- both playful but then got bored. I could not get a spaniel ever as Sky constantly tried to herd them while they run around sniffing things! Apparently he is playful but will settle on his bed when told.

So- I don't really know what I'm asking- tell me if I should or shouldn't take him on!
(forgot to say the lady wants to save up and go travelling- she is early 20s- so is rehoming her animals. each to their own- I'd rather have the animals!!!)

He was very 'aloof'- he took no notice of me- just played with Sky and explored the barn. Which I found a bit odd, as I am used to dogs who are very into people. But I think this is partly his nerves, taking time to get to know people.

I was concerned about my over energetic and younger collie- but he loves his walks, and playing. Also, he can sleep on the sofa if I take Sky on an extra walk or run. He was happy to get involved with play, he didn't look irritated by her!

MuddyTB

Visit site
Greyhounds do tend to be 'aloof' compared to other dogs. Our big lad liked his own space, would take himself off to his favourite spot for a sleep then pop back to see us every so often when he wanted some company. But in general he wasn't that in to people and nothing like a lab/spaniel/collie sort.

That said they are lovely gentle dogs, (unless you happen to be a small furry creature), and if he is used to a family and children and happy then he should slot in perfectly.
Has your husband met him yet? Might that help?

Will keep my fingers crossed.

Amye

Visit site
If you think you can give him a good home go for it :) Greyhounds are lovely. They can come across as aloof, our whippet girl would come across as aloof to anyone she doesn't know (she's perfectly gentle with them just won't be all over them) but with her family she is lovely and so so loyal.

Greyhounds are a horizontal dog - most of their life is spent sleeping! From my experience, they love a good hoon around but then are more than happy to go to sleep in a comfy spot for hours. Can be quite independent which you might find different to a collie as they do sometimes like to make their own decisions! They are quite trainable though, make sure you get the recall down as they can run the length of a field before you know it :) (might also chase small furries).

I think they're lovely dogs, most have a very gentle nature and a laidback attitude to life. I think the boys are a bit more playful and hoony but some can be sensitive.

Things to be aware of is they are a big dog with deep chests so they should ideally be fed from a high position to prevent bloat. Make sure your vet knows about issues with anaesthesia and sighthounds (they can react to it but our whippets have been under and have been fine). They have thin skin and it does tear more easily then other breeds. Our two whippets are wimps and hate the rain, they will go walkies in it in their rain coats but if it's tipping down you can't push our boy in the garden! He can hold his wee for a ridiculous amount of time! They love a comfy sofa/bed/cushion to lie on - both of ours are not keen on lying on hard floor.

Clodagh

Visit site
I agree with Amye, but if you want a friendly 'with you all the time people dog' greyhounds probably aren't it, especially ones that had no interaction as pups. I like them as they are so un needy.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My mum in her 70s got a greyhound, Lucy. She did initially seem aloof, but when you got to know her you realised what an honour it was when she would come and stand by you for a stroke. She was fab with other dogs, but would go bananas if she ever saw a cat. Local cats stopped visiting, but she still managed to pluck a bird as it flew!

Lucy spent many hours asleep. She loved the under floor heating, but always needed well rugging in most weathers. She trained the other dogs to be gentle with her, she would not do rough and tumble. She was a calming influence.

Greyhounds are different to other dogs, but really rewarding and elegant.

CrazyMare

Visit site
They are perfect!!

Agree with everything above, mine sits on the sofa most of the time. If someone sits on the sofa leaving her not much room, she'll just climb up, find a gap and sit in it!!!

{97702}

Visit site
I agree with Amye, but if you want a friendly 'with you all the time people dog' greyhounds probably aren't it, especially ones that had no interaction as pups. I like them as they are so un needy.

Oh dear - nobody has told my boy that :D I can agree that bitches can be aloof and stand offish - much as I adored Islay more than anything in the world, it was always on her terms - but Hoover is a revelation as the first pure greyhound dog I've had. He is soft, cuddly, adorable, loving, loyal and fantastic :) That goes for my 'dog of a lifetime' Talisker too, the only male rescue lurcher I have had - he was incredibly rewarding, loyal, honest, I could not fault him in any way. To see his trust grow, and him relax and start enjoying life, was the most rewarding thing ever and I miss him to this day despite losing him 9 years ago now.

I would most definitely go for it OP, of course I am mad, obsessed and biased, but I can guarantee you won't regret it :) :) Once Troy gets to know you, he will become more interactive and you will suddenly realise that he is totally dependent on you - he just has to learn to trust you.

Although greyhounds are couch potatoes, they will also take as much exercise as you can give them so don't worry about him keeping up with your collie, he will be more than able to do that. Plus this is a greyhound cross, which makes a huge difference.

Pictures are mandatory of course please OP :) :)

paisley

Visit site
"He was very 'aloof'- he took no notice of me- just played with Sky and explored the barn. Which I found a bit odd, as I am used to dogs who are very into people."

I think the pointy nosed ones have 'their' people, and not everyone is allowed in the club ;) I always tell everyone that mine won't automatically want to say hello to them, but usually on a second meeting he'll be all over them, like a tramp on chips.

Weirdly, if they are greyhound/whippet owners he's instantly BFF even if they haven't got their dogs with them.

leflynn

Visit site
My grey is the other way an dmore interested in people than dogs other than other pointies! Once they get used ot you they change a lot of the time, when I got mine if you sat next to him on the sofa he got up - now I can't shake him off if we're on the sofa :D I find they are happy to do as much or as little as you want to, and are the easiest of dogs to have a round plus some of the most loving I've ever had :D Fingers crossed you can do it :D

Clodagh

Visit site
I would also ass that if he is a grey x he is a lurcher and you need to take that into account. Lurchers have a lot more energy and stamina than greys.

pippixox

Visit site
Well my head and my husband say no! But my heart says yes! Mostly as he has been passed around so much and we could give him security for the rest of his life

My only concern is that we go to mountain bike races to support my husband a lot- he can be nervous of men and not sure if it would stress him out. That said- Sky was scared of bikes when we got her! Now she sleeps next to them at races!

{97702}

Visit site
Ignore your husband, he doesn't count ;) dogs will get used to anything if they are secure and loved - when I got my rescue lurcher he had to have a general anaesthetic to have his claws clipped as he hated anyone touching his feet and would bite viciously. After a couple of years he would let me clip his claws without a murmur

Alec Swan

Visit site
Well my head and my husband say no! …….. !

I'd suggest that two out of three aint bad and that's where you should perhaps focus. Consider that the dog is, you say, a Greyhound x (cross?). The dog's of indeterminate age 6-7? Probably 8-9. Then consider that he's been passed from one person to another and they moved him on. I wouldn't believe one single word of the reasons for his several homes. The reality is that generally people don't pass dogs around without good reason. The dog is aloof and shows no interest in you? That really isn't what you should be looking for and if he hasn't bonded with anyone else, he most probably won't with you, especially as he will probably and very quickly pick up on the fact that your husband doesn't want him. His current owner's going off travelling? Really, how often do we hear that one?

I'm with your head and your husband too, I really don't see one positive in this, sorry.

Alec.