Tell me about spavins

Annagain

Visit site
Share horse has what the vet suspects is a spavin. He's been ever so slightly lame for a week or two and field rest has done nothing so he's got bute and the dreaded box rest for two weeks then a check up, if no better we'll take things further then. Luckily we have a nice small paddock he can go into with Hugo the geriatric ram during the day and he'll come in over night. He's 19 so it's no major surprise but it's not something I've dealt with before so any info appreciated.

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
My horse was diagnosed a few years ago, he was injected. But I found they have fused over time. Management is so important, my boy is ridden most days and would rather do something little most days than hard work not as often. I can't trot my boy on the road or hard ground at all. Lots of turn out helps. Hope this helps

Annagain

Visit site
Yes it does thanks. He's out at least 12 hrs a day in winter and 24/7 in summer so that's good. He's ridden 3-4 times a week so might need to up that a bit. Hopefully it'll fuse, if that's what it is.