Tell me about your hafflingers!!!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Well, mine is just amazing! I will start with the good stuff first, and pictures obviously! Benji is an unregistered, 13.2hh gelding and the best little horse ever! We are in our 3rd year together now and he is great. He tries anything and everything I ask of him, and although not a show jumper or dressage horse, he is a super star to me.

We show locally, pop round a course of jumps, do pleasure rides, tried dressage, been on the beach and are going on our first hunt in a couple of weeks. He is the most honest, loyal and hard working horse I have ever met. Some obligatory pictures...

0000_zps345bf816.jpg

showbenji2_zpsea40a2dc.jpg

20140606_153541_zpsbe26d902.jpg

Screenshot_2014-05-03-09-43-55_zps7025c372.png

20140328_154208_zpsb2c899b6.jpg

1508503_10202228106838578_968741629_n2_zps5d7e7384.jpg

IMG_8395afacebook2_zps2c819db9.jpg

Benjishow5-Copy_zpse2fa6aa5.jpg

Benji is my second Haflinger and he is much easier than the first. I know you shouldn't tar all horses of the same breed with the same brush, but of the Haffies I know, they are all similar. They can be strong and opinionated, but with firm handling and respect they can be absolutely awesome. They are professional escape artists and can get fat on fresh air so good fencing is essential! They are also (in my opinion) slow to bond and settle. It took me almost a year to get Benji to a point where we were completely trusting of each other, and its only going into the 3rd year together that I am ready to take him hunting!

Please feel free to ask any questions :)

Last edited:

Embo

Visit site
...They can be strong and opinionated, but with firm handling and respect they can be absolutely awesome. They are professional escape artists and can get fat on fresh air...

A girl at my livery has a Haflinger and this ^^^ is incredibly accurate! She does pony club with her, takes her to camp and rallies, show jumping, xc, hunter trials etc. She and her mother also do sponsored/fun rides. Pony is very reliable, but can be very strong. She used to tank off with the girl when they first got her. But now they have so much fun with this pony. And honestly, she is fat on nothing! And our grazing is quite poor! Very economical to keep lol.

Brilliant ponies. Quite versatile and make great riding horses.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
A girl at my livery has a Haflinger and this ^^^ is incredibly accurate! She does pony club with her, takes her to camp and rallies, show jumping, xc, hunter trials etc. She and her mother also do sponsored/fun rides. Pony is very reliable, but can be very strong. She used to tank off with the girl when they first got her. But now they have so much fun with this pony. And honestly, she is fat on nothing! And our grazing is quite poor! Very economical to keep lol.

Brilliant ponies. Quite versatile and make great riding horses.

Haffies are bred much taller these days so make excellent adults horses, but Benji is the old fashioned leg on each corner shorty! Saying that, he is as strong as an Ox and NEVER gets tired!

They are definitely not a first horse unless you are very confident and have a good support network. In the beginning with Benji I could have given him away to the meat man at times! I trust him with my life now and on more than one occasion he has done things that really could have saved us both. He is highly intelligent, a very fast learner and absolutely hilarious at times!

He can be very strong, but he has never taken off with me, never bucked, bitten, reared or anything like that. He is exceptionally polite and tells me when his saddle needs adjusting by stepping sideways quietly when I try to mount :)

pennyturner

Visit site
Only ever had one, and mercifully it was on loan, so I could send it back.

Whilst I put up with, and improved to some extent his other 'quirks' in the end I got fed up with catching being so tricky. Just before he went back, he bolted in harness, and I only stopped him from going the wrong way up a dual carriage way by pulling him 180 degrees at gallop, nearly turning the cart over. He was still going hell-for-leather, so I pointed him at a fence to stop him - which he jumped, cart and all.

Wouldn't have another one given.

SatsumaGirl

Visit site
I have a little Paint x Haflinger. People warned me before I took him on, that the Haffy side of him could become difficult (personally as others have said, I hate to generalise based on breed alone- though some of the descriptions above are scarily accurate).

He is a very sweet and loving little horse and extremely honest. There is no nastiness in him and he is quiet as a mouse in many ways.
He is only 3 but has the most laid-back attitude you could ever find. I took him to his first show this year and he was beautifully well behaved. He took to groundwork/traffic etc like a pro (I'm sure he'll be very easy to back, when the time comes).

His downsides are that he does go through phases of climbing through fences, he can be quite bolshy and impatient if he wants to go back out and he can get a bit stroppy with the farrier- stamping and fidgeting! Again, he's only young and part of this is most probably down to his age and that he just needs to learn some manners in a few areas.
For the most part, he's a little darling.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have a little Paint x Haflinger. People warned me before I took him on, that the Haffy side of him could become difficult (personally as others have said, I hate to generalise based on breed alone- though some of the descriptions above are scarily accurate).

He is a very sweet and loving little horse and extremely honest. There is no nastiness in him and he is quiet as a mouse in many ways.
He is only 3 but has the most laid-back attitude you could ever find. I took him to his first show this year and he was beautifully well behaved. He took to groundwork/traffic etc like a pro (I'm sure he'll be very easy to back, when the time comes).

His downsides are that he does go through phases of climbing through fences, he can be quite bolshy and impatient if he wants to go back out and he can get a bit stroppy with the farrier- stamping and fidgeting! Again, he's only young and part of this is most probably down to his age and that he just needs to learn some manners in a few areas.
For the most part, he's a little darling.

Do you have any pictures?

Spring Feather

Visit site
I've never owned one but have had dealings with a number of Haflingers over the years. There seems to be two types, the old fashioned working horse mentality ones and the more laid back, game for anything, sweet types. Clear guidance suits this breed of pony as they tend to walk all over anyone they deem incompetent. I like them; they are nice looking ponies with a good worth ethic and providing you handle them firmly and fairly then you'll get a nice working relationship with them. I'd never advise a newbie rider or gentle-minded person to buy one however.

Embo

Visit site
Haffies are bred much taller these days so make excellent adults horses, but Benji is the old fashioned leg on each corner shorty! Saying that, he is as strong as an Ox and NEVER gets tired!

They are definitely not a first horse unless you are very confident and have a good support network. In the beginning with Benji I could have given him away to the meat man at times! I trust him with my life now and on more than one occasion he has done things that really could have saved us both. He is highly intelligent, a very fast learner and absolutely hilarious at times!

He can be very strong, but he has never taken off with me, never bucked, bitten, reared or anything like that. He is exceptionally polite and tells me when his saddle needs adjusting by stepping sideways quietly when I try to mount :)

The one I'm on about is the small and sturdy type. I think she's about 13.2hh, maybe 13.3. Totally solid. Currently carrying more than a few extra lbs, but she only gets a token feed and half a section of hay per day!! Mental.

The owner is only 13yo and they got the pony 4 years ago... so no wonder pony took off with a (then) 9 year old!! The mother is horsey and worked for various hunts so knows what she's doing. Think she bought the pony as a learning experience!! But it worked, she rides this pony brilliantly now, no trouble at all. Can be very strong when jumping but she loves it. They have a great relationship, although the Haffy knows when she can get her jollies lol. Many times have had to catch the pony as she decided she was bringing the girl in from the field, not the other way around! Pony comes trotting smartly up the lane, dragging the poor girl behind - who is usually laughing her head off!

Also had to re-stable same pony many times in the morning as she escaped overnight. You do need a sense of humour with them, I think.

BayLady

Visit site
My boy is Haffy x Welsh D. To be honest the Welsh side is harder work, he can be a bit of a drama queen and fling himself around when the mood takes him, which is very welsh! He does have the most amazing sense of humour though, is incredibly affectionate and his energy levels would put the energizer bunny to shame.

He definitely isn't a first pony, and not just because he's young. He can be sharp and spooky and did have a bit of a rearing habit to start with. He is going to be an absolute cracker with some time and experience though.

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Brilliant thanks for all the replies. I had heard about the strong, stroppy side of them but I do think they are good looking little horses that appear pretty versitile.

It would be my 2nd horse, but I've ridden all my life and feel I am pretty capable of sorting out bad manners etc. I like my animals to be well behaved lol!!

My last boy I bought from a family who were totally over horsed and thought he was a rig. He wasn't!! he was just an ill mannered thug. He towed them about and was bargy and generally a pig but I sorted him out, so I think I'd cope with one that was like that.

I really like the look if this lady

http://m.preloved.co.uk/m/showadvert/111471706/beautiful-152hh-palomino-haflinger-mare.html

Thanks again!!

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My little pony is supposed to be a Haffie cross according to his passport - I think he is HaffieXFjord.

He is a very calm, steady pony, very loving towards me, settled in really well, but I do make sure I am very firm and consistent with handling and riding as he could be a rude tank given half a chance!
Due to something that happened before I had him, he is TERRIFIED of vets with needles and clippers, and turns from the sweetest soul, to a rearing striking beast ..... work in progress!
I just enjoy hacking, but in his past I know he has hunted, done hunter trials, show jumping etc, but he has always HATED working in the school.
I love him to bits, he is my pony of a life time.

This is my Custard

image002_zpse22b3941.jpg

atlantis

My little pony is supposed to be a Haffie cross according to his passport - I think he is HaffieXFjord.

He is a very calm, steady pony, very loving towards me, settled in really well, but I do make sure I am very firm and consistent with handling and riding as he could be a rude tank given half a chance!
Due to something that happened before I had him, he is TERRIFIED of vets with needles and clippers, and turns from the sweetest soul, to a rearing striking beast ..... work in progress!
I just enjoy hacking, but in his past I know he has hunted, done hunter trials, show jumping etc, but he has always HATED working in the school.
I love him to bits, he is my pony of a life time.

This is my Custard

image002_zpse22b3941.jpg

He's gorgeous!!! I think they're all gorgeous!!!

Anna*

Visit site
I just love them! I have never met one that I didn't like and my mare is just perfect (for me, anyway!)

She's never going to set the world on fire but, as people have said before, she will give anything a go. She will happily school, jumpy a small course, go over logs in the woods or just stand around all day to be groomed and fussed over.

Haffies are really strong and are definitely more 'ponies for grown ups'. Wouldn't change my girl for the world. Self indulgent photos:

image_zpsfb9c39f4.jpg

image_zps845d335f.jpg

image_zps75b96deb.jpg

image_zps38a89670.jpg

SatsumaGirl

Visit site
Do you have any pictures?

Here he is (and yes, he's a funny looking duck- I won't be offended if you think he's the most awful looking creature alive ;))...

I once had a Haffy person all excited to see pictures; you could see the 'ohh, riiigght' look of disappointment as the colour drained from their face and they tried to force a smile. I don't think he'll ever be a show stopper but there's something so lovely about him- to me, anyway.

I can't see him reaching the expected height. Me thinks he's definitely taken from the Haffy side. He's basically a Haffy that's been left in the paint pot too long. :)

f55842.jpg

uwp09.jpg

nodmi0.jpg

Last edited:

Goponygo

New User
Visit site
Definitely need a firm hand and a sense of humour :-D
I have an Oxnead boy that I got from Tom last year, love him to bits. He is a real sweetheart and tries hard to please. Has plenty of character and is not afraid to show it but the majority is because he is only 4 and a half and rather green. Not much bothers him out hacking and even after 6 weeks off he didn't put a foot wrong.

Be prepared for anything and then be prepared to laugh about it, otherwise you will despair !!

Didn't want to go out...

Having scratches...

Wrong side of the fence...

Looking beautiful...

suffolkmare

Visit site
Look at that mane!!!!! Love the facial marking too.

Took the words out of my mouth (or off my keyboard!) Utterly fabulous!
I recall a haffy at a RS in Warwickshire many years ago now ('86?) called Alfie. I loved riding him but he knew all the tricks; held his breath while you did the girth then let the saddle slide once you started to mount, or maybe a little pirouette to see if you could hop in a circle! I think they know they are good looking too! :)

lurcherlu

Visit site
We have one on our yard ,the owner was convinced there was a problem as she was a cow last time we hacked out and we ended up swapping horses her onto my 4 year old appyx and I hopped onto her little haffie in her western saddle , she has a short choppy wall but m god she's fast , when ridden into a contact and correctly schooled she bloody lovely. She's opinionated , sting , evil to my mare and takes the pee , but I'm slowly falling for her choppy little stride and schooled her again today and. Gave her owner a lesson . The mare scares her , but I think she's great just needs a firm l fair hand with consistent reminding of her manners ;)

PeeGee

Visit site
I love the breed, they are quirky with pony brains, very bright and need entertaining to stop boredom. My haffie was bought as a first horse and he has taught me alot, he's honest, sometimes opinionated but never nasty. I just think they great fun, he makes me laugh everday. Lets face it they do know how good looking they are and with faces like that they can get away with murder! lol

mandwhy

Visit site
My haffy mare has been fairly exceptionally awkward even for a haflinger :-D I do love her, but she can be so stroppy, so strong, sooo opinionated and so very lazy, bless her! She's 7, so has actually improved a lot this year, I would recommend either very young or over 8/9, you should be clear of the most potentially awkward years. I bought mine when she was 5, she was a chronic napper but we got past it, and age 6-7 there were some scary dominant horse wants to flatten me times, but I just about came out on top, it's very important to be confident on the ground with her but she's lovely on the ground if you don't let her get bolshy, she turns into a she demon if she's cold and hungry!

They are very versatile, there is no discipline I would say they are unsuitable for, they can be fantastic jumpers and keep muscle on easily. Mine is 15hh and does lose weight a bit so I don't have to worry about lami all the time, she's barefoot now and sound as as pound, only ever had an abscess once, never had the vet out (touch wood).

Mine has never been terribly good at hacking alone, which is unfortunate but we'll get there. I think it is quite common for them to be a bit herd bound, they are just very intelligent and everything is a bit of a debate. They do vary of course within the breed, but they are generally very much pony mentality and many of them share the same traits as they are often from the same few lines.

The haflinger community is something else though, I have met so many nice people simply through having a haffy, I think they are so obvious you have to befriend everyone that has one and learn their life story haha, I really love that, I'd never sell her.

Anna*

Visit site
The haflinger community is something else though, I have met so many nice people simply through having a haffy, I think they are so obvious you have to befriend everyone that has one and learn their life story haha, I really love that, I'd never sell her.

I've found this too. Haffy owners have to have a real sense of humour and never seem to take things to seriously - haflingers are great levellers!

atlantis

Thanks guys. I think they might suit me as I like a horse with a personality. I'm looking for a native type and I will def add them to my list!!! Along with highlands, connemaras, dales, new forest!!!

SatsumaGirl

Visit site
My first pony was a Dales x. He was the most reliable little guy. He's still with me, 18 years on, but is now a retired field ornament. ;) One of my other boys is a Connie x and I can't fault him. He is the most genuine horse I've ever known. My whole herd seems to be made up of natives or hairies- I don't think you can go wrong with a nice solid little native. :)