Tell me I’m not being mean?

Lucky788

Visit site
Because everyone else is :(

Cob type hairy! blanket clip but mainly grown out and I’m not rugging during the day unless raining, keep getting comments but need him to loose some weight and he’s perfectly happy!

4faults

Visit site
I have fully clipped my Welsh B legs and everything and she is only rugged overnight. It’s not particularly cold at the moment so don’t feel mean

meleeka

Visit site
Mine isn’t rugged. He does have a shelter which he likes if it rains but no point rugging him when his natural coat is so effective. It’s very mild here still.

Reactions: DD

scats

Visit site
If it’s as warm as it is here I wouldn’t worry! My fully clipped horse would be happy out naked in the day at the moment, but she’d be filthy so she wears a lightweight.
As soon as she comes in I whip the rug off for a few hours. She then just wears a fleece overnight.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Your not mean I have an unclipped Arab still living out in a no fill his not cold, in fact his been too warm he too is a good weight I would leave him naked but he doesn't like rain.

Archangel

Visit site
It is so mild and still you are not being mean at all. I left mine out last night and will do as long as it stays the same.

The Trooper

Visit site
It's obscenely warm for this time of year, makes me worry about Jan-Mar!

You know your horse best, do what you feel is right. There is a prolific over rugging epidemic nowadays i feel.

teddypops

Visit site
My clipped ponies are out in no fills because it is so mild. My TB is naked as he is too warm and he is clipped! It’s far meaner to over rug and have hot horses.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Agree with everyone else. I have a little hairy cob and to be honest he is very warm at the moment even without a rug so I'm considering giving him a little clip.

Doesn't look like getting colder until the 2nd week of January!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My blanket clipped and bib clipped ponies are both in no fills during the day because the field is a bog and I can't keep them clean any other way. Neither wear a rug at night in the stable and both are perfectly warm under their armpits in the morning. They aren't fat this winter either which has made me very happy because it's usually a constant battle with one of them.

Pc2003

Visit site
My 15yr old blanket clipped Connie, normal weight is out today without a rug. He was rugged yesterday and felt very hot so not bothering today

ImmyS

Visit site
My unclipped cob is out naked and most likely won’t see a rug unless we have horrific driving rain/snow/sleet as there is no shelter at all.

I see a lot of rugging on perfectly still, dry days. On unclipped native types, it does baffle me slightly.

Annagain

Visit site
It's so mild I'm sure he's fine. A friend bought a second hand rug for her wimpy horse. She thought it was a 200g but I realised when I put it on him the other day that it's only 100g. This horse is a total wimp and loses weight the second he gets too cold. He's plenty warm enough and looking the best he has at this time of year for years! My two 23 yr old fully clipped but warm horses are only in 100g at the moment too.

little_critter

Visit site
Does he look / act cold?
My retired girl has a low trace clip because she was sweating in her stable in October. She goes out unrugged most of the time.
My rule of thumb is that if its wet and windy enough for me to want to rug the retired one, it's probably too wet and windy to turn out the TB (she's a wuss and would be trashing the field within minutes)
Below freezing but dry and calm I'd chuck a 100g t/o on but that's it.

Lucky788

Visit site
Does he look / act cold?
My retired girl has a low trace clip because she was sweating in her stable in October. She goes out unrugged most of the time.
My rule of thumb is that if its wet and windy enough for me to want to rug the retired one, it's probably too wet and windy to turn out the TB (she's a wuss and would be trashing the field within minutes)
Below freezing but dry and calm I'd chuck a 100g t/o on but that's it.

No he doesnt act cold at all and it’s just so warm for this time of year.

Those not rugging during the day are you rugging at night if stabled?

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Mine has a blanket type clip but it startes at his stilfe.

He is just in a rain sheet. Has to loose more weight but has lost a lot.
He is a hot horse so i under rug him.

Cornish

Visit site
Blanket clipped cob, 15 yo, living out wearing a no fill summer turnout. He has a feed of hi fi lite and fast fibre once a day, isn't having hay in the field yet and is ridden 4/5 days a week (in for a couple of hours when ridden). Came in this morning warm and toasty - am hoping for some weight loss by spring!

thommackintosh

Visit site
Those not rugging during the day are you rugging at night if stabled?
Himself wears a 100g lightweight with no neck on at night. That's mainly because he's got a lot of white on him and loves to lie down, changing from piebald to tricolour overnight :rolleyes:
He's an up to weight cob with a hunter clip.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
My thin, retired Anglo Arab is back in her no fill (just as a wind stopper and to keep her a little bit cleaner) as it's got so warm she was uncomfortable in her heavier rug. She's kind of nesh too, and we're in the far north of Scotland!

My unclipped monster cob is rugged more but still about 200g less than a couple of weeks ago (she's got a muscle issue so needs to be over-rugged basically... she probably wears about 150 to 200g more rug than I would put on if she didn't have the muscle issue which means in the current weather if she was a normal horse she'd be naked with a blanket clip too!)

Short answer- your horse is fine ignore the comments.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I've got my cob living out on the side of a fairly bleak and windy hill. Shes just been clipped, One of those bodge job dealer clips thats like a blanket with the back legs left on. Shes wearing a 100gm rug. Shes only got that on as its so windy and has its only mini ecosystem. I'm pretty sure even then she'd be fine unrugged during the day time, but I dont want to deal with the level of filth and mud that would occur if I tried that!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
All mine naked except if it rains then only in no fill or 50grm rugs. My Shetland has a wee bib clip or else she stands in stable sweating. She's fine when it's been cold she only has no fill on when it rains.

Just ignore people saying you are mean 😊