Tell me I’m not being mean?

Lucky788

Visit site
Thanks everyone :) I don’t feel as mean knowing others are in the same boat! It’s unseasonably mild so does feel strange not be rugging in January! But he is such a hairy beast even clipped he’s probably on par with an unclipped Tb!

tankgirl1

Visit site
My cob has been sweating out naked so I think I'm going to have to clip her even though shes not working at the moment, I'll probably do a bib or a low trace and just have a lightweight on hand for really cold and wet days. Her field has plenty of natural shelter, and she's in at night

MagicMelon

Visit site
Its barely been a winter so far, absolutely not mean IMO. None of their business anyway!

My old retired boy who usually struggles to keep condition (so I rug well normally) has actually has his rug taken off during the day for the past few days. Never have I had him unrugged on Christmas Day before! But its so mild, its 10 here during the day which is very mild for this time of year, nights get frosty so rug goes back on. Its your horse, do what you like and tell everyone to buzz off ;)

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Mine gets a 100g in the stable overnight if the temperature is below zero for most of the night.

He can eat to warm himself up but there's nothing he can do to cool down if I've over-rugged.

AmieeT

Visit site
Mine is naked. Welsh cob, very VERY fluffy (though unclipped). Keep getting told ‘oh but it’s december’ (it’s mild 🙄), oh but he’s 23 (he’s also like a furnace 🤦‍♀️).

As the lovely ladies of the morning thread keep telling me (eg ESW ⬆️) just ignore it!!!

SEL

Visit site
I can feel the heat radiating off M in the morning's. He's not enjoying the warm spell - that polar bear coat is designed for mountainous chill!!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
No you're not mean. It's blummin boiling at the moment - I was mucking out in a t shirt last night, which I'd unheard of for me in winter because I'm always cold. My little slip of a tb/sports horse type, who grows no coat whatsoever and hates the cold has been out naked most of this week. At night in the stable she is having a summer sheet or fleece on if anything at all.

Wheels

Visit site
My connie was hunter clipped at the beginning of december but it was so mild yesterday afternoon I took his rug off for a couple of hours. He got a bit of sun on his back and I think he was thankful to be without his rug for a short time

Petalpoos

Visit site
My haffie had her 3rd clip yesterday. Chaser - stifle up to the throat, so all of her back and legs and top half of her neck still unclipped. Really it's not that different from if she had a full clip and a rug on. She lives out all year round (with a field shelter with a full bed in it) and never wears rugs. Always warm as toast. I try and ride her at least 4 times a week as it is otherwise very hard to keep her weight down and, if I don't clip her, she is dripping by the time we get back and still wet 2 to 3 hours later, so it works for us.

If your boy is nice and warm then no, not mean. I suspect more horses suffer from being over-rugged than the opposite, but suggest you don't retaliate to comments with that one! Just smile and ignore, as Elle 'Sita' suggest above.

little_critter

Visit site
I plaited my girls mane this morning to take some tinsely Christmas photos. I couldn’t believe how warm she was under her mane, another couple of degrees and I reckon she’d be sweating under there.

tda

Visit site
Well they wouldn't like me then, 6 ponies from age 2 - 25 all living out with no rugs
Two more with chaser clips with no fill rugs (to keep clean)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
When I had my old boy (a good few years ago now) he was a good doer, and laminitic and it was always a helluva job to keep him right.

At that time, my farrier offered me some very good advice and that was with a laminitic you sometimes will be doing them a favour by "clipping out and chucking out". He said that sometimes you "have to be cruel to be kind".....

With a good doer like a cob, it can actually be an excellent way to get them to drop weight - the alternative may be to risk a real "nasty" like laminitis.

I've just re-read your post (edited) where it says yours has a blanket clip (growing out). I'd say turn out without worrying; for guidance and if it helps my two cobs (good doers) are both "out without" and have been so all winter, and will remain so till spring now. They're both in light work (hacking) and they both get one feed a day of TopSpec mixed in with some Speedibeet, and a scoop of Benevit Advance, and they're out in about five acres of pasture. No hay unless they need to come in for the vet/farrier etc. They're prospering!

Lucky788

Visit site
Thanks everyone! He is enjoying being naked and has enough mud covering to act as a rug!

I am considering another clip similar to poster above stifle to throat but only a low one as he does get hot when ridden but that way he can still stay without a rug. He certainly seems happy perhaps even happier as I suspect now he’s been getting warm. Also agree it will be a great way to keep his weight down - feeling a lot more positive now :)

Visit site
Because everyone else is :(

Cob type hairy! blanket clip but mainly grown out and I’m not rugging during the day unless raining, keep getting comments but need him to loose some weight and he’s perfectly happy!

No, definitely not! It's been really warm this week. I've got a cob at my yard who has had a blanket clip and although he is in at night, he is still unrugged.