Tell me I am doing the right thing...

unbalanced

Visit site
I am giving notice this weekend from the farm I have kept my pony at for the last two and a half years, and moving her to full livery at a 'posh' yard nearby.
I think it has to be done because I keep getting ill and taking time off work which maybe wouldn't happen if I wasn't so tired (mostly from work), poor pony hardly got seen the last week, boyfriend spends way more time poo picking than is fair, pony needs clipping and I can't clip when I only have time to see her once a day.
At the new yard she will come in at night so I can clip, go out every day, they promised me fairly bare turnout, I can ride under lights all winter which I can't now (lovely school and good hacking but no lights), they will muck out, feed, catch, turn out etc in the week so I don't have to worry about her and I can get on with riding and grooming.
But I have been at my farm for so long (ever since I moved to this county) - more than my house, relationship- I have a really good friendship with YO and I am dreading telling her I have to go. I'm thinking thank you card and small gift.
Any ideas for a gift? And (good) stories about moving to full livery? I am especially worried about what on earth I am going to do with all my stuff, the compromise I made on having less hacking (still some but only a couple of two mile rides looking at the map) and giving up control.

nix123

Visit site
I think you are making the right decision from what you've said. I think your horse will be much better off with the move. The only thing that worries me is were you say "i keep getting ill and taking time off work" if this continues to happen will you be able to afford the full livery costs?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I am sorry you are I'll, but if you explained it all like you have here to the yard owner, and ask if you need to can you come back when you are better/more time free, I am sure she will be ok with it. ( even if you don't return) ! A small box chocs or some flowers will be a nice goodbye gift, and if you have good mates at old place, do go back to visit. The hardest bit of changing yards is the telling people you are going. Good luck

Caramac71

Visit site
We moved from DIY to full livery earlier in the summer. I was apprehensive for several reasons: worrying about if the pony would settle, worrying if I really could afford it and also worrying about handing over a bit of control to someone else.

I did miss the mucking out and poo picking to begin with, it felt strange but I soon got used to it!

But, pony settled in very very quickly and loves the routine of the yard (it really didnt suit her to be on a yard where ponies are brought in and fed at different times). And I have my life back - I no longer have to be at the yard at 4pm to bring in every day, we can go out for full days without worrying, my kids are able to do activities after school whenever they want, I can work late if need be without getting antsy about getting away.

And actually, when I take into account costs of extra feed, hay and bedding over winter, and petrol (as new yard is much closer to home), I dont think the cost is much different to what I was paying DIY.

I can honestly say within a couple of weeks of being at new yard, we were saying we wished we had done it sooner.

And we have still continued a good friendship with old YM and other liveries. Plus made lots of friends at new yard.

There is not one single thing we can say we miss or regret, and I hope you find the same at your new yard.

babymare

Visit site
Hun if your health is struggling then of course its a good move. You will have less pressure for day to day things but more time to relax. Any change is hard for you and pony BUT if manadged right you will get through it. Regards to your current yard. tell face to face. a lovely thank you card with nice words and a photo of you and horse. and a big hug? be honest about why ? Your health is paramount here. i wish you well and hope the future sees you back bouncing with health having fun x x x

Goldenstar

Visit site
Explain it well to them and give a nice gift then I am sure you will have burnt no bridges with them.
Call in now and again and stay in touch.
Good luck at the new yard I hope you feel better soon .