Tell me to stop feeling guilty!

pippixox

Visit site
So, can some other people please remind me that my horses are designed to live outside and will not melt in this rain/snow/sluge that is currently falling!?

They have an 8 acre field. Just two of them. Give them some haylage and breakfast each morning anyway. But that have foddage in the back of the field that was growing all spring and summer. Plenty of grass. They also have warm waterproof rugs.

I just can’t help but feel guilty. They do have a barn but that involves a nearly 15 minute walk each way and I have a 2 year old and 6 month old who I don’t really want to push in the sleet. I think the guilt is worse as I had socks PTS last month, so they mope more by the gate as he was he one that always went off to graze and they followed.

Someone tell me I’m not being mean! (Or you can disagree for arguments sake 😉)

zaminda

Visit site
Mine have lived out for the last 11 years including in the snow and generally fully clipped. Provided they have food and are warm enough they are fine. I probably use more rugs than a lot would agree with but the horses all look good and perform well so I keep my own council on that. Before mine lived out I was feeding ridiculous amounts and they didn't look how I wanted in the winter but now even as the years tick on they are glowing.

pippixox

Visit site
Yes, my mare is just a madam and likes to call at me as soon as she sees my car! But they have given up moping and are off eating now.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I feel your pain, my boy has only lived out for a month. I’m in turmoil as I’ve left my traditional cob out in a 200g Rambo with no neck ( half clipped)
I will not sleep and he will be fine I’m the morning 🤣

babymare

Visit site
Don't feel quilty" I'm sure they will be fine. Bet they are cosy and warm in morning 😁 Whilst we will move heaven and earth for our horses sometimes circumstances dictate what we do. Chin up. X

Antw23uk

Visit site
Oh blimey lady you need to quit the guilt, lol! I put lightweights on mine yesterday because of the snow ..... they were boiling at 0700 this morning so currently look like this ......

31906100157_1516211e5f.jpg

I'm yet to start feeding haylage (plenty of foggage in that field, lol) but they do get a small breakfast every day and unless rain and minus 5 is forecast they are staying naked!

The Trooper

Visit site
Belle had frost across her back this morning, she is blanket clipped and is out unrugged. When i checked her arm pits, ears and underside she was toasty warm. Surprisingly warmer than Bonnie who spent last night in a stable, rugged with haylage. Each horse is different.

STOP FEELING GUILTY :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
another chiming in :) my old dears haven't worn a rug at all this year, they have loads of grass and are totally happy. Look like yetis, mind, but that's only annoying to me! I know there are horse shapes somewhere underneath all the hair really ;)

both used to live pampered lives of stables and rugs but they adapted faster than me to this light-touch way of life when they were retired.

pippixox

Visit site
well they survived of course! moody mare zoomed over this morning for her token breakfast.
they have a shelter, which of course they won't touch in the winter! (my old boys lives in it all day in the summer though)

Dufus

Visit site
I feel your pain, i'm about to turn my mare away with an injury after being on box rest for 5 months and worried to death , she will be on a grass livery yard and out on around 3 acres with 2 other horses with haylege in the filed but no shelters other than their rugs.
I'm flapping as shes's been out a week at current yard and is stood at the gate within an hour wanting to be back in so feeling terrible at the min in anticipation for her going!
She also suffers from mud fever so if she gets that as well i will feel extra guilty :(

Surbie

Visit site
Mine would like to come and live with yours please. He is the only partly clipped horse on my yard rarely wearing rugs. Most people feel sorry for him but he is happy, toasty warm and full of beans. And not shedding any weight, despite many telling me there is no goodness in the grass at this time of year. He has started moulting though.

JJS

Visit site
Don't waste another moment worrying about it. Of my four, three would do anything within their power to stay out, including the OAP. The fourth wouldn't mind coming in to a warm bed, but he still prefers being out 24/7. They have access to hay, are rugged appropriately (our fields have no shelter at all), and have constant company. Given the choice, I don't think any of them would want to be stabled!