Temperament, how much is inherited from the sire?

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I've been wondering how much the stallion affects the temperament of his stock? For instance, if you had a really fizzy mare and put her to a very docile laid back stallion, would the foal pick up much of the stallions temperament. I would assume that the dam is the major influence, but I'd be really interested in others findings and opinions!

vick

Visit site
sorry i don't know the answer to this question, but i would like to know. I think i have read somewhere that the sire has the main influence, may of dreamt that though
smile.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
We had exactly that problem which is why we chose a stallion with a laid back sort of brain.
I can only say it's worked up to now, the offspring have taken more after him than the mares.
The other stallion we used on exactly the same mares although an Advanced eventer has passed on his quirky temperament to their foals, so no way would we use him again (even if he was alive!)
It's got to be a better thing to start off with the best temperament possible regardless of anything else, even the best competition horse needs to be trainable.

Meg2

Visit site
We put my kind, willing, but anxious mare to a Rubinstein son as he was such a lovely calm chap. Their colt foal is so far the most friendly, sensible little chap I could have hoped for!
cool.gif

madeleinewachman

blanchardshillfarm.co.uk
from my experience the mare and the stallion both have a major factor on the temprament of the offspring. I have a very sensitive hot mare, that I have put to Renkum Valentino who is very laid back and a real pet. My colt has the mares sensitivity, but a much more level head which comes from the sire. I have another gelding by the same stallion out of a very different mare. The funny thing is they both have lots of similar habits to each other, which are different to any of my other horses. Neither have been together also, so I assume they must be inherited from their sire!

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The mare is the main influence - because she gets to bring the foal up and it learns much from her. But the stallion probably has between 30 and 40% influence.

My own stallion has a very good, laidback temperament and ALL his foals seem to follow him - whatever mare they're out of. But of course the very best foals - temperament-wise - are out of the most laidback mares.