Temperment of Northern Dancer offspring?

fruity

Visit site
I might be doing a straight swap to a anglo arab filly (from my Welsh D) who's sire is Northern Dancer,anyone know any of his offspring? The filly is a stunning 3 yr old iron grey and performance bred,to make 16hh.

Have a anglo arab currently so know to expect them to be lively but just wondered on this particular stallion?

Thanks,any thoughts would be great.

fruity

Visit site
sorry just spoken to owner,apparently the dam is a 'double Northern Dancer TB mare, who has won on the racetrack'. The sire is a show/performance arab.

paddi22

Visit site
my lad has a double northern dancer mare, and he is an absolute pet. he's the kind of horse that lives in his brain more than his body, if that makes any sense! although to be honest, the bloodline is fairly weakened so i doubt many traits would be common between your horse and other peoples.

competitiondiva

Visit site
I once knew of a 4 year old northern dancer grand daughter full tb, she was a complete dope on a rope, infact the most laid back horse I think I have ever met!!! So much so that she was sold to a nervous rider who'd had an accident on the road with her last horse, to get her confidence back!! They nearly didn't come to see her when they were told she was a 4 yr old tb, but were very thankfull and extremely surprised when they did come! She was perfect for them, no show horse but completely trustworthy! Last thing I heard was the girl and horse were hunting regularly together and hacking all over!!

tristar

Visit site
have grand daughter, fantastic horse, so powerful, heart of a lion, mind of an angel, not easy with all the energy but what ride, movement second to none.

skint1

Visit site
I suspect that the majority of TBs currently alive on this planet are descended from Northern Dancer at least once, so take your pick!

Yeah, he was a busy fellow from what I can gather. :D

My horse is a temperamental moo at times. A friend of mine big into TB pedigrees jokes that it's because she's a great-granddaughter of a horse called Alydar who was known to be temperamental in the extreme, but was that genetic or a management issue? (He was apparently too valuable to have turn out or live like a normal horse)

Jamana

Visit site
(He was apparently too valuable to have turn out or live like a normal horse)

You hear this theory spouted a lot by non-industry people. The fact is it is sports horse people who tend to consider their horses 'too valuable' to turn out.

The likes of Dansili and Oasis Dream live out 24/7 in summer and go out every day if they have to be in at night. I doubt there are many more valuable horses in the UK!

I know some stallions get hand-grazed, Danehill springs to mind, but I cannot think of any TB stallions that are too valuable to turn out.No industry TB stallion has much chance to 'live like a normal horse' either, if by that you mean live in a group of friends.

As someone has said above the chances of finding a TB without ND blood is increasingly rare and the fact the horse died so long ago I would think his chances of majorly influencing temp would be diluted. Even x2 crosses is not at all uncommon.ND blood is not a selling point BTW, is is a given, to be ND free would be more of a selling point perhaps!

tristar

Visit site
the fact that he was so prepotent is why his traits can be seen, i can see the this horse physically and temperament wise in my horses because i bred the sire and dam of the 1st generation and know them inside out and which traits come from which bloodline, and can see why northern dancer was used so extensively, because he was so dominant