Tempting a foal

Dry Rot

Visit site
What do foals crave for? I have two aged three months. Both were a bit slow allowing me to handle them (busy farm, short on time) but one is now hooked on scratches and taking small pieces of carrot. Yes, I know time is the answer, but is there anything they go nuts for? Just ruminating really as they will be fine, I'd just like to be able to get a hand on the second one! Carrots are an acquired taste. Sugar beet pulp is messy. What about honey? Ground up Polos? Sorry, I am always look for quicker ways to train and bridge that gap! :)

calliemae

Visit site
My foal was like this.

Try apples, carrots or extra strong mints covered in honey or treacle (or something sweet like that). mine loved them.

Hope I have helped

gunnergundog

Visit site
Horses like dogs are all different - some will 'work' for praise, some for food, others for play and others for peer/social approbation. Trust is paramount. What is the broodie like as at 3 months (assuming not hand reared) that is a major influence, as is the peer group interaction in which the foal lives. Observe - what does the foal crave/seek at liberty?

Dry Rot

Visit site
The foals are quite friendly. One is now being handled around the head and is a sucker for light scratching. Major progress today. The second is coming up to sniff my hand but not touching yet.

I breed 1 - 3 foals a year and I am quite fussy about their up bringing. Py back is when we back them as bucks and rears are almost unheard of here. These are Highlands so outside on grass 24/7. The mares were all bought in and most were foal proud for the first few years but now trust me and are quite friendly, so that side is no bother.

Just looking for an easy fix to establish that initial contact. I find foals slow to try new foods so I am really looking for something they can't resist! I'll use that later so I can get them head collared as I don't like handling them roughly at all, although I know some will trap them in a corner with a gate, or just catch them with a rugby tackle, and it doesn't seem to do them any harm. I also don't like foals to be too friendly as that can be annoying too.