Tendon Damage x 3! Any experiences please?

Elsbells

Visit site
It'll be four weeks since my mare became cast in her stable and damaged herself. This is what the discharge notes say from our vet,

She has damaged her Achilies tendon- the superficial tendon has some damage to its attachment to the underlying bone on the inside of the leg and she has damage to the gastrocnemius tendon also. There is also inflammation of the calcaneal bursa which surrounds these tendons.

I've had a look at the X-rays and scans and the vet was wonderful in explaining what has happened to my mare and her prognosis is 50/50 as to her being a ridden horse again. She will be going back in October for scans and to monitor progress, if there is any. Apparently, this scan will tell us enough to so we can plan.

She's a wonderful mare and I adore her. In 6 years together she's never been lame sick or sorry so this has been quite a shock to me. She's on small paddock turnout and I'm walking her twice a day through the village plus I'm using ice-vibe boots, just because. The swelling went down fairly quickly and she has always looked sound in walk, but trot is another story...dog lame!

I would like to know of any other cases where a horse has come right or if so, did not please, good or bad. If she is just field sound, I'll have a job for her 😉 but if she could return to work that would be wonderful.
As it is my greatest fear is my having to PTS. I will not keep her going if she is going to be in pain and for that pain to increase over time.
Thankyou if you got this far.....

touchstone

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your mare's injury. In my experience time is the greatest healer, plus a good dose of patience!

My mare was turned on to a small paddock and rested completely for a ddft injury, I found walking out set her back, as did trotting up. She took eighteen months to become fully sound and was in full work after two years.

I hope your mare recovers well. I made the decision to retire mine as I'd given up hope of her coming right, but I was glad to be proved wrong.

Elsbells

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your mare's injury. In my experience time is the greatest healer, plus a good dose of patience!

My mare was turned on to a small paddock and rested completely for a ddft injury, I found walking out set her back, as did trotting up. She took eighteen months to become fully sound and was in full work after two years.

I hope your mare recovers well. I made the decision to retire mine as I'd given up hope of her coming right, but I was glad to be proved wrong.[/QUOTE

Thankyou. I think I've read about it on here about it on an earlier search.
I've pretty much decided she'll be turned away to have that foal we've always talked about and as she's 14 maybe this is the time? I can't go without riding for 2 years that's for sure as il become depressed, if I can put her out with some other mares and get a loan?

There are so many scenarios going on in my tiny brain and I'm still reeling tbh. It's so sad as we are such a good team, I'm 55 and I thought we'd go out into the retirement field together, not like this.

Scans first and then decide I guess.

be positive

Visit site
I think a 50/50 prognosis for her being a riding horse again is fairly good, I think it is going to be far higher that she will be field sound and able to live a comfortable life so unless you are very unlucky during her rehab pts will not need to be considered, time is usually the best healer for any tendon injury, turning away for 2 years and breeding the foal if it will do her no harm carrying the weight, once she is over this stage, may be the best thing for her, you should know more after the next scans if they are healing that is a positive sign that given time they will heal fully.

A totally different injury but my vet gave me a "may be up to light hacking" prognosis for mine 15 months ago, he thought he would not be sound enough for jumping but after a very careful rehab, a few months totally turned away and further very slow fittening work he is now sound and has been fine with some light jumping, the only job the horse is interested in, so we are now aiming to do a small comp in the next month or two.
I have taken longer with him than some people may but time can be the best healer once the vets have done all they can, the tb that came here with a tendon injury, went back to pointing following a very careful rehab, he stayed sound and is now in full work he did a 10 mile pleasure ride on Sunday and is going to his first hunter trial this weekend, he was considered to be a crock but is looking and feeling fab.

frostie652

Visit site
I looked after a mare for a while with a check ligament injury, after initial box rest she was turned away without for a year and she's now in regualr ridden work again, did her the world of good.
Think with ligament injuries alot of time is required, but that doesnt make it any less frustrating when you want an answer one way or another, good luck.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Hi OP, oh dear, what a disaster for you. Please reconsider the brood-mare move though. A foal needs its mum to run about and play with it and a mare that is unsound either isn't going to be able to do that, or will try and end up injuring herself further.

be positive

Visit site
Hi OP, oh dear, what a disaster for you. Please reconsider the brood-mare move though. A foal needs its mum to run about and play with it and a mare that is unsound either isn't going to be able to do that, or will try and end up injuring herself further.

The OP has until next spring to decide about putting the mare in foal, presuming she is a decent enough BM prospect the injuries were due to an accident not because of poor conformation, by then she should be sound but may not be ready to stand up to full work if there is no problem with her carrying the weight of a foal then there should be no reason in about 18 months from now she will not be able to run about with her foal normally, if the injuries have not healed fairly well by next spring putting her in foal will probably be the least of the OP's worries.