Tendon injury in retired horse

Chestnutmare123

New User
Visit site
I recently had my 29year old retired mare pts and all I can feel is heartbreak and regret.
she was medicated on cushings treatment, had a heart murmur and was 3 years into a happy retirement living out 24/7 with access to a stable whenever she wanted it when she tore her tendons from her hock all the way to her knee. Vet advised I could try up to 6 months box rest before beginning slow rehabilitation or the inevitable. Cost was not an issue but her quality of life was. Box rest would have meant having to move her to a new yard to carry out the rest period, it also could have not repaired given her age resulting in the end result anyway after putting her through 6 months trapped in a stable. She was on 4 sachets of bute daily which I know was masking the pain but I feel sick that she’s not longer here.
if you had of been in my position what would you have done? I feel so lost without my best friend.

Peglo

Visit site
29 is an amazing age to get a horse to. I have a 30 year old and a 25 yr old ex racer and I now see every day as a bonus with both and really don’t want to get hung up being miserable when they go but thank them for all the time I got with them. You did your horse a kindness and now just think how lucky you were to have had her. Sending big hugs.

paddi22

Visit site
You couldn't have box rested a horse that age with a serious injury like that. her quality of life would have been dreadful, and it would have been so unfair to her. you 100% made the right decision and the only decision you could make. that's what good horsemanship is sometimes, it's making the tough decision that hurts you, but is best for the horse. and you totally did right by her, and gave her a dignified end. she was very lucky to have such a wise caring owner.

Brownmare

Visit site
There is no way I would put a horse of that age through 6 months of box rest so I absolutely agree you made the right decision. I have a retired boy too who is much younger but would seize up if kept stabled so if he has any injury or condition that cannot be managed out in the field he will be pts. Quality of life has to be the priority not length of life at any cost.

mini-eventer

Visit site
I have got a 29yr old in happy retirement. I have already made the decision I won't put him through box rest.

When the time comes it is going to be so hard but you have 100% done the right thing for your horse.

The right thing is not the easiest and you have been really brave. Sending you hugs x x x

meleeka

Visit site
I can remember feeling exactly the same after my old mare was pts. I think it’s all part of the grieving process. Of course you did the right thing, and these feelings will pass. You can be proud of yourself that you saved her more suffering and had the courage to do what was best for her. If she’d have done the long box rest, what then? At that age something was going to get her and as you said, what quality of life in the meantime? At 29 you’d have only been putting off the inevitable anyway.

J&S

Visit site
I absolutely agree with your decision. I am sorry for your loss but it was the best thing to do for your horse.

tda

Visit site
I feel your pain, I had my 24 yr old pts 3 weeks ago, I'd had her since she was 2 yrs old.
She had arthritis, huge lumpy knees and had started stumbling /falling over when snoozing.
I feel awful, constantly doubting my decision, it's been an awful summer knowing she would be unlikely to go thru the winter
It does get better but I'm not at that stage yet ?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would have made exactly the same decision as you. I would struggle to put a much younger horse through 6 months box-rest tbh, as they don't know that there is an end date. I hope to always put QOL above everything else for all my animals. Please don't keep 2nd-guessing yourself, you made the right decision for your mare at the right time.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We’ve decided that we wouldn’t put our 12 year old through prolonged box rest and if he had anything go wrong which required months of box rest we would PTS. As the others say, quality of life always trumps quantity and at that age you couldn’t have made any other decision

southerncomfort

Visit site
100% I would have done same as you.

Guilt is a massive part of the grief process and something we all go through unfortunately, but I do hope the answers here will reassure you that you have absolutely nothing to feel bad about.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
another here who would have made the same decision. I have some retirees that live out and if they were to get a similar injury I'd do the same without question. At their age healing is much slower than with a younger horse so you'd likely be looking at longer than 6 months, which would be terrible for an old horse. the kindest thing is being able to let them go without suffering.

RHM

Visit site
You did the kindest thing you could have given the circumstances. You have nothing to feel guilty about. Please show yourself the same level of care you showed your horse. You have been the owner all horses would wish to have x

Equi

Visit site
You did absolutely the right thing. I recently pts my 21yo after a similar thing happened and I was just not willing to box him up for the whole summer knowing it could be his last anyway (had other issues that would have eventually lead to pts)

He left this world looking a million bucks and happy as a clam (on drugs) despite having 3 legs. In a way I’m glad he had an injury that made me make the decision as making it based on his other issues would have been harder as he was good some days and bad others. I have absolutely no regrets that I got him out of immediate pain and potentially months of heartache.

it was still the hardest thing I’ve had to go through and I took a long time (and a new horse) to come to terms with his loss but knowing it was the right thing helped.

SO1

Visit site
Yes the right thing to do for a retired horse.

My 19 year pony is on box rest for a tendon injury and part way through the rehab process which includes riding he is now on 40 minutes walking twice he will then start trotting and then cantering. Hopefully he will soon start turnout in a tiny space in the middle of horse Walker soon where there is some grass and not enough space for him to build up speed although he could still leap around.

With a retired horse it would be very difficult to do the trot and canter work as lunging is not good for soft tissue injury. If you turn out before they are fit enough then you risk another injury. I don't think I would do box rest for retired horse for that reason.

It is very sad but 29 is great age for a horse.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I'd have made the same decision, OP. My mare is only 21 but I'd have her pts for less, due to other conditions. As you rightly say, there comes a point when QOL is compromised just that little bit too much and if the outcome is not guaranteed positive, then it's a no-brainer.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i did the same, my 24 year old horse had arthritis in her knee and then injured her stifle in the field. vet said it would involve a prolonged period of box rest to get the stifle joint back to normal but there was no guarantee it would be successful.. i decided to let her go, it was really hard as i had owned her since she was 15 months. so in my view you did the right thing and in hindsight i know i did as well even though it broke my heart..

Annagain

Visit site
I have 1 1/2 (it's complicated!) retired horses in their late 20s and if either of them faced a long period of box rest (or even a short one for one of them) I/we would let them go too. One has arthritis of the coffin joint and melanomas so is already compromised and he'd never cope with box rest. We tried it once years ago and it's the only time he ever attacked me. He bit me and really meant it.

The other did 6 weeks box rest earlier this year for a suspensory ligament injury (he was still in work at the time and it's only because we don't think it's fair to bring a 26 year old back into work after a year off that he's retired) so we know he'd cope with a short period but we'd not do more than a couple of weeks with him now. Apart from anything, an injury that requires any more than that is going to be pretty catastrophic and they heal so much more slowly when they're older too.

I know it's hard to take at the moment but you absolutely made the right decision. Quality of life is so much more important at that age than any more years. Hugs.