tendon tears and surgry

loopylucifer

Visit site
Ok my horse (the one in previous posts with windgalls, only they weren't!) had scan on squiggie/hard lump last wk and has properable tear in SDFT and or DDFT in her hind leg. only probable as it is under anualar lig and as this and ergot get in the way of scaning. there was the hint of tear on the last pic before lig. She also has extra tissue forming above anular lig due to injury which now prvents the tendon sliding through the anular lig. Vet has said resting her will settle it but as soon as she resumes work the friction and stress of thework will cause her more lameness and gradualy detiriation. The only real option if i want her sound enough to do anything other than eat gass is surgry to try and remove the extra tissue and debride the tear (or at least thats wot i think!) as far as i am aware the lig is fine. Anyone else had this?? anyideas how long off length of box rest, vet has just said will depend on wot they find
confused.gif
cant find much about it anywere as most i can find out about are higher, so any info would be great, should pointout olny very slightly lame. thanks

hellybelly6

Visit site
My horse had a straight forward tendon injury. He had tenoscopy, debridement of the DDFT, box rest for 10 days whilst the stitches were in place, then slowly introduced restricted turn out and physiotherapy in the form of walking in hand which was built up gradually over time.

I was told that regular gentle exercise was the best thing for my horse to avoid adhesions forming in the tendon as it healed. I was riding him in walk after about 6 weeks for 15 mins and by 6 weeks he was on half day restricted turn out.

It was the DDFT in the hind leg which my horse injured and only with tenoscopy was it obvious that he had also ripped his manica flexoria (cartilage around the fetlock) too. After surgery, the vets did not expect him to be sound in the field, but 3 years on, I am hacking and lightly schooling him as before.

My horse had to go to the vet school again last year for something else and they were amazed at his outstanding recovery and work tolerance.

I would go with the surgery option, but when this was first explained to me, I was very worried and needed to know all the ins and outs about it.

I can send you a link of my horse's surgery if you wish.

Have a think about it, nobody knows your horse better than you.