Terrible day cant believe it *gory pic warning*

Keltic

Visit site
As many of you know Kelly managed to badly injure her face over 2 weeks ago, it has been healing nicely and the staples came out on fri and she has been allowed back out in the field.

Nothing could have prepaired me for my arrival at the yard this morning. As i walked toward her stable I saw the blood down her door, then noticed it allover the floor outside, i opened her door and she was turned away eating hay, she turned around and I realised she had ripped open her facial injury and it was alot lot worse. There was blood everywhere sprayed up the walls, door and floor. At this point I had major meltdown and rang vets, whilst waiting for them I rang my hubby poor love he tried his best to calm me whilst I was convinced the vet would say she needed PTS (she is 31 years old).

The vet arrived and checked her over, then sedated her and cleaned her up and then put a few staples in, she said she will prob have to have the flap of skin removed next week as its mostly dead but she is using it like a bandage, the rest of the wound has been left open and its down to the bone now in places, couldnt staple as there was no skin left. She is coming back to take some blood so she can check her for anemia because of how much blood she has lost. She is also going to do a full screen just incase something else is going on.

I spoke to my vet about my concerns that I was perhaps being selfish keeping her going just for my benefit, even though i do feel she is not ready yet, the vet said no-way she is more than happy with her, she told me to look at her eating her hay and scoffing her breakfast, she said she looks like a horse 10yrs younger and acts like one too... phew

I have been so upset today, i really really thought I was going to lose her. Good job my boss has a horse and totally understood why i was still sobbing at lunch time.

So here it is what she has done........
Photo0016.jpg

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Ouch, that does looks scary. Sending loads of healing vibes to her, you always expect the worst when they are older but sounds as if she is a tough girl . Fingers crossed she lets it heal properly this time.

ElvisandTilly

Visit site
So sorry she has opened the wound up again. Any idea how she is doing it? I'm sure she will heal fine despite her age and you are certainly doing all you can for her :) Lots of healing vibes coming her way. :)

JessandCharlie

Visit site
Oh hun! What unbelievable bad luck! But she's eating and happy, and from the pics it looks nice and clean and pink, so you're halfway there to getting it all nicely healed up :) There's not much movement on their face either, so you aren't likely to have it reopening that way.

Chin up :)

J&C

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
My god, poor you - I guess it was itching as it was healing and she had a good rub on something but chose the wrong place again! I would go over your stable again with a fine tooth comb to find any sharp edges - I'm not having a go or anything. Silly mare but I'm sure she will still heal - good luck! x

jaijai

Visit site
Sorry to hear she is injured again - it must have been a real shock for you. She was doing so well but this too will heal I am sure and you will have your mare back to normal. Hugs to you both.xx

Milanesa

Visit site
ouch! oh well good news that your vet says she should recover fine at her age, she isnt ready to go yet! Hope she heals up well...cheer up you did all the right things and the oldies are tough as old boots!

lea840

Visit site
Awww poor Kelly & poor you... you must of felt sick waiting for her to turn around after seeing all of the blood everywhere... I saw your first post about this and the pics and it looked pretty bad and then your update was such an improvement.... Any idea what on earth she is catching her face on in the stable to have done this twice?? Well wishing to Kelly for a speedy recovery... she'll end up with a big lampshade on her head at this rate, poor little love...

angel01

Visit site
Hello there

Just seen your thread I hope she will be ok and recover very soon,#

I am going through a simular delema myself, my boy got a bad cut on his right leg and got infected even to the point of it going into the muscle tissues

it looks quite nasty too,,,, but the bugger wont take any of his medicine is so clued up ive tried everything

hope your both will be ok x

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Did you ever see the pictures Tia put up of a filly she had that managed to stake herself (and I don't think Tia ever learned how) putting a hole right through into her nasal cavity. Yukkiest thing you ever saw, but healed fine.

I'm glad your girl seems none the worse for the ghastliness of it. Remove the mirror from her vanity unit so she's none the wiser and grab a drink of something for yourself.

Jane_Lou

Visit site
I am really sorry to hear she has done this, they love to worry us don't they.

There is a really interesting thread in Competition Riders about wound management with some interesting comments from people who work in wound care which may be worth a read.

joeanne

Visit site
Cor she likes to keep you on your toes eh?
Shame she feels the need to be so drastic about scaring the crapola out of you!
Fingers crossed for her making a speedy recovery.

Keltic

Visit site
Thanks guys, the vet and myself searched the stable and the only places we could see were a small ledge and the corner bricks of the door frame, think she needs a padded cell not a stable!

Apricot

Visit site
Poor girl! That looks ouchy! :( But horses are so resiliant and heal so well, I'm sure in a few weeks you would hardly know she'd ever injured herself!

Pedantic

Visit site
:( poor sausage, to be honest I was expecting it to be worse after reading your post, the vet sounds hopeful so expecting a happy post in a week or two x

stroppy

Visit site
How did she manage it again do you know? Buzz's stitches came out monday and so far is doing very well, As bad as it looks its still not as bad as Buzz's and although she has re opened it, it looks clean and healthy rather than gunky etc, lots of blood means its all still viable rather than dead flesh, do you know why they used staples not stitches? fingers crossed now its patched up it will heal nicely and she wont do it again.

MochaDun

Visit site
Glad she's holding her own and still perky and game on for life! What a horrible find for you. Was it stitched before this happened today or were the stitches already out? Just wondering if they were tight or pulling or the wound had got very itchy and she rubbed vigorously against something and ripped the stitches out?

rambling

Visit site
Sorry that you had to meet that when you went to see your lovely horse.

It must have been an awful double shock for you but believe me I have seen much worse injuries than that heal up beautifully.

It may go through a really bad stage where the flap dies and may have to be trimmed back, but the healing will come from the inside out and you may eventually just have the white hairs to remind you of this awful day.

I hope shes better soon.