Terrifying ride for my poor daughter!

Sprout

www.horse-riding-world.com
My daughter was hacking out our new pony, and I had gone with her on the bike.

Everything was going really well, when all of a sudden, a herd of wild ponies suddenly appeared behind us, galloping flat out screaming their heads off. We didnt have time to even think, they came past us like an inter city train, shot past, and our pony naturally took off after them, and they all disappeared from view. I took off after them, pedalling furious up and down the hills, hit a rut, fell off the bike, staggered to the top of the next hill, looked down and could see the pony, minus my daughter, charging off in the middle of the herd, and my daughter lying on the ground. I have never pedalled so hard in all my life, eventually got to my daughter who was just getting to her feet. She had hit her elbow and hip on landing, somersaulted, and then got kicked by the pony on her other hip, and was very winded.
frown.gif

Once I could see that she was ok, I had to set off to try to find the pony, and eventually I saw the herd galloping up and down in the valley. Finally they stopped, and I was able to get close enough to catch the pony. Having galloped across very rough ground, through bogs, and jumping enormous ditches, I couldnt believe that he was un hurt, sound, and the only damage was broken reins!
My daughter very bravely scrambled back on board and rode home.

I am so proud of her for coping so well when she must have been terrified, for getting back on even though she was in quite a lot of pain, and for saying she was looking forward to taking him out again tomorrow.

I am now a nervous wreck, and need to lie down in a darkened room before downing a bottle of wine.

Hope tomorrow goes a little better!
crazy.gif

elliegirl12

Visit site
Ohh god glad your daughter is okay! do you get that alot in the new forest? we might be moving down there in a few years
crazy.gif
anyway atleast she got back on and the pony is okay! good luck for tommorow it wasnt the ponies fault tho cuz any horse would of wanted to join them so think like that
smile.gif
hope all goes okay
smile.gif

xx

charlie55

Visit site
Oh dear, poor girl. But well done to her for getting straight back on!! They tend to forgive and forget a little better then us. Im sure with no galloping wild ponies tomorrow, it should all be fine
smile.gif

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
Glad that all are ok - except your heart attack/nervous breakdown obviously! Hope that when tomorrow comes there is nothing other than a few scratches and bruises to show for their little adventure!
crazy.gif
crazy.gif

A lie down in a darkened room with a large glass of something definatley called for......
wink.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

archoak

Visit site
She's very brave and poor you
frown.gif
Scary for us Mums isn't it
tongue.gif
I had to read your post twice as I couldn't believe a herd of wild ponies had come out of nowhere - then I saw your location
blush.gif

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
OMG your daughter is so brave, I would have died! I think you and your daughter deserve a hell of a lot of chocolate after that. Where did the wild ponies come from, are they just loose?
shocked.gif

Sprout

JoBo, we live in the New Forest so have herds of wild ponies everywhere, as well as donkeys, cattle, deer etc.

Getting caught up in a stampede happens from time to time, but usually we are both riding, and can gallop off in the opposite direction, with the ponies having each other as company, but with a new pony and me on the bike, it was inevitable that the pony would go with the herd!
crazy.gif

Its about to get even worse out there, as the Stallions are about to be turned out on the Forest which causes even more stampedes, and you also sometimes get chased by very aggresive stallions which is really not funny!
shocked.gif

My daughter is ok and the wine is in the fridge, and the pony is happily munching so cant complain!
smile.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My daughter was hacking out our new pony, and I had gone with her on the bike.

Everything was going really well, when all of a sudden, a herd of wild ponies suddenly appeared behind us, galloping flat out screaming their heads off. We didnt have time to even think, they came past us like an inter city train, shot past, and our pony naturally took off after them, and they all disappeared from view. I took off after them, pedalling furious up and down the hills, hit a rut, fell off the bike, staggered to the top of the next hill, looked down and could see the pony, minus my daughter, charging off in the middle of the herd, and my daughter lying on the ground. I have never pedalled so hard in all my life, eventually got to my daughter who was just getting to her feet. She had hit her elbow and hip on landing, somersaulted, and then got kicked by the pony on her other hip, and was very winded.
frown.gif

Once I could see that she was ok, I had to set off to try to find the pony, and eventually I saw the herd galloping up and down in the valley. Finally they stopped, and I was able to get close enough to catch the pony. Having galloped across very rough ground, through bogs, and jumping enormous ditches, I couldnt believe that he was un hurt, sound, and the only damage was broken reins!
My daughter very bravely scrambled back on board and rode home.

I am so proud of her for coping so well when she must have been terrified, for getting back on even though she was in quite a lot of pain, and for saying she was looking forward to taking him out again tomorrow.

I am now a nervous wreck, and need to lie down in a darkened room before downing a bottle of wine.

Hope tomorrow goes a little better!
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

best excuse Ive heard yet for wottle of bine
grin.gif
! Joking aside, it must have been awful! Your daughter is obviously made of stern stuff
laugh.gif
. Enjoy tomorrow. Mairi.
cool.gif

D

Donkeymad

How frightening
shocked.gif
I am pleased that pony is OK and daughter just bruised, but what a brave lass to get back on and ride home.
grin.gif

Chavhorse

Visit site
Mentally crosses New Forest off list of possible locations to move to as my horse would have a baby if that happened to him and I am no way as brave as your daughter
smile.gif

Glad all is ok and am so impressed with your daughter getting back on brave girl.....Chocolate Wine and a good film is called for!

Gorgeous George

Visit site
OMG that must of been terrifying for both you and your daughter, I would of been beside myself. Glad all are unharmed and very well done for your daughter getting back on, hopefully she will just see it as a big adventure? Enjoy your wine!

Sprout

Thanks everyone for your replies - I am SO proud of my daughter, she is 14 and we have only had the pony for 3 days!

Chocolate ( for my daughter ) and wine ( for me! ) are going down well - bring on the ride tomorrow!
tongue.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Aw hun! My stress levels were rising just reading it - would have been a wreck had we gone through it!

Well done both of you! Remember you'll need another bottle of wine and another box of choccies for tomorrow - after your succesful ride
grin.gif