Test for Towing a trailer

LoxleyEquestrian

Visit site
I passed my test after 1997 so have to take another test in order to tow a horse trailer or drive a horse lorry. I just wondered if anyone else had taken the test & if so how much did the tuition & test cost?

Also i've heard there are grants being offered for people who want to take the HGV licence. Has anyone else heard anything about it? And if i took this instead would i automatically be allowed to tow a horse trailer?

I've tried looking for info on google but not alot comes up. Any info anyone has would be great
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I *think* you have to take each text individually - ie. an HGV test doesnt let you drive a trailer? I THINK.

Ive taken the trailer test and it is expensive. Lessons (with my own vehicle and trailer) where I think £25 an hour. The test was about £100, although its cheaper during the week.

Never heard of any grants for trailer tests.... best people to ask would probably be the DVLA or your local HGV centre (who should do trailer testing too).

k9h

Visit site
They are seperate tests but can't help on price. Grants are only worth it for HGV (dont do them for trailers) if you have a yard that you may end up training a few people.
Sorry I cant be more help.

ecrozier

Visit site
They are different tests, totally seperate unfortunately! My trailer test (intensive training for 3 days then test at the end) cost me about £500. Just started process for doing my HGV as we are upgrading to a box, and that is going to be about £1000 all in by the end
shocked.gif

Nightmare isn't it?!?

Sooty

Visit site
They are separate tests, although the trailer test is conducted at an LGV test centre. The tests used to cost in the region of £80 on a weekday and something over £100 at a weekend, but have no doubt gone up since Troggy took hers. She only had a couple of hours tuition from a professional, although my OH did go out with her a lot for practice at weekends. It's all about practice really, particularly reversing into a marked bay (unused car parks are good for that), and hitching and unhitching. There are some good written guides that are worth studying.