Testing a new horse

elsahly

New User
Visit site
Hi I'm buying a jumping hirse now and just tried her first time and I really like her.

I heard from someone that she could be spooky which I don't want. What can I do to check her spookiness whil I can only try her in the owners yard

AppyLover1996

Visit site
Personally I'd ask the sellers about the spookiness and say that someone has mentioned she can be spooky - then watch their body language and see how they react. They may try and lie but body language does not lie.

But on a separate note, trying her in the yard will not be enough - that is her home surroundings so she's gunna be chilled there and it won't give you a true reflection of her spookiness. You need to get her hacking up the road in company, on her own, school her with spooky type jumps in the arena, ask for what she's like at different venues, if there's anything she doesn't like etc - but be prepared to take with a pinch of salt as not all buyers are truthful and honest.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ask to jump her away from home.

When you try her the second time at home take an umbrella with you and open it and put it on the floor when you ride, but only if there is no wind. I suggest an umbrella because it's easily carried and a lot of horses will spook at them. A coat hung over the arena fence is a good one too, in addition to an umbrella.

vhf

Visit site
I've often found you can make a spooky one spook at home by changing the norm. So if they are in their usual school, casually hang your jacket over the fence, drop your bag in the corner of the arena, lie a filler down instead of stood upright, stick a traffic cone on top of a jump upright, that sort of idea. When I was a kid, my mother used to hang jackets/jumpers over the jump poles to make a familiar jump something new. (I got used to sitting ballooning ponies!)

Nari

Visit site
Spooky is a vague term - one person's spooky isn't even noticed by someone else - and can also cover a wide range of reactions. Ask the person who mentioned it to you to give more details, and also ask the seller about it, does it sound like behaviour that would bother you? If it sounds ok to you then do as people have suggested and make some changes, if it sounds like something you aren't happy with then walk away.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Hi I'm buying a jumping hirse now and just tried her first time and I really like her.

I heard from someone that she could be spooky which I don't want. What can I do to check her spookiness whil I can only try her in the owners yard
If you are buying an expensive horse to take to competitions it would not be unreasonable to ask to take her to an arena hire & mimic competition day, to see how she reacts.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
What I usually so is after trying in the school ask if I can hack down the road. Tests a few things, spookiness, will it nap going out on its own or past the gate going back before going in.

I'm happy for the seller to come with but ask them to walk slightly behind so horse is not following them.