Testing bloods taken at a vetting

SO1

Visit site
I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your new horse I remember your posts on how difficult it was to find a new horse and you were so careful and had a decent budget as well. That is really bad luck I hope he comes right for you.

She doesn't want to blood test as she wants to keep the horse. If she was going to get any recompense out of the whole thing should she go to court, then the outcome would be that she would have to hand over the horse almost certainly.

I can understand 100%, this is why I've not tested my horses blood as well although I understand that I still have until end of April to do so. I would hate to hand him back, my options are that he a) comes good for me to ride b) comes good to sell c) retirement.

The initial taking of the blood is under £30 or at least it was when I had my horse vetted.

SEL

Visit site
No not unlevel but his whole way of going had changed in a matter of 48 hours. Stiff as a board! I still don't fully understand the reason for the change.
Did the vets blood test when he was stiff? Sounds like some sort of tying up. Might have been a management issue at the dealers which you've got on top of

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Stress can set off PSSM, so the travel and/or the change of home might have done it if the horse has it.

Last edited:

Melody Grey

Visit site
That's interesting. Not a single expert has mentioned PSSM. I'll look into it.
They won’t! I’ve had a hell of a job convincing vets to even consider it. I think ‘oldschoolers’ think it’s an absolute situation with the tying up, though evidence on here/ other things I’ve read suggests it can exist on a continuum.

SEL

Visit site
That's interesting. Not a single expert has mentioned PSSM. I'll look into it.
They never do and mine is actually diagnosed with type 1, has a series of blood tests proving she has muscle issues and has come off the lorry shaking so badly she could barely stand (& she was like a board the next day too) - even with all of that they will STILL argue with me that it isn't a problem.

I'm Dun

Visit site
They won’t! I’ve had a hell of a job convincing vets to even consider it. I think ‘oldschoolers’ think it’s an absolute situation with the tying up, though evidence on here/ other things I’ve read suggests it can exist on a continuum.

Sadly most vets know nothing about PSSM. My vets were always very interested to talk to me about mine and how she was managed etc s as it was something they just didnt know about.

Its not helped by the research not being finished yet, particularly for type 2 which is a huge can of worms with unreliable testing etc. PSSM type 1 is easy to test for and gives reliable results though.

Indefatigable

Visit site
Another negative test. For PSSM1 this time. I see the PSSM2 CAG test is not totally accurate. How would you feed a horse with suspected PSSM2? This in itself might confirm suspicions. Thanks in advance for info.

catembi

Visit site
I have had 4 horses tested for PSSM type 2. A Dartmoor, a QH x TB, an ISH and a TB. They tested n/p4 (Dartmoor), n/P1, n/p3, px/px (QH), n/p4, px/px (ISH) and px/px (TB). There is a lot of stuff flying around about the type 2 test not being accurate, but for me, the horses themselves are very, very true to their variants. The n/p4 horses share traits, as do the px/px horses. The tests bore out what I myself had observed over a number of months.

I had another (unconfirmed) type 2 ISH in the days before the test & I spent 18 months doing every test under the sun to find out what was wrong with him. I tried the high oil diet & there was a very dramatic improvement within 48 hours which confirmed for me that my thinking was correct - although the improvement was not sustained.

There is sooooooo much info re supplements & feeding - try joining a PSSM UK facebook group? A lot of it is confusing & contradictory, so don't be disheartened...as soon as someone has said to try x, someone else will pop and say no, don't do that, try y. There is the high oil diet, which is supposed to be bad for their system in the longer term. Some people use ALCAR, which you mustn't use at the same time as the high oil diet as they conflict. A newly emerging thing is chelated calcium. Even something simple like vit E - some people feed 2,000 iu, some 5,000, some 10,000...

You just have to do a lot of reading & go with what you think best...while at the same time keeping an eye out for new things.