Tetanus vaccination........

jordenknight

Visit site
ive just bought a new horse and was told that he would need his tetanus vac again soon.

Looking at his passport i got a bit confused as to when he needs it before......

the dates are:

24/9/99
22/10/99
17/6/04

so when does he need his next 1??? ive olny ever had flu jabs before :S

setadrift6

Visit site
The last date in your passport is over 12 months old, so he'll have to start his flu and tentus jabs again. Speak to you vet who will explain the timing for first three jabs and then it will be yearly after the third jab this year. Its not a problem nor difficult.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
Looking at those dates it is likely that those are separate tet jabs. If you look at the flu jabs, some of those are likely to be combined with tetanus.
Its easier to get them done at the same time. At the very least its flu every year, tet every other. If the flu jabs are up to date it is likely he is covered for tetanus.
The tet/flu jabs are usually similarly named to the flu jabs, with a T after.

Happytohack

Visit site
Usually flu and tet are combined vaccinations, with an initial course of:
1st injections
2nd injection in 4-6 wks
3rd injection in 6 mths
Then flu yearly
and flu & tet every two years.

If your horse is covered for tetanus only (my old retired ones are), then this should be given every other year although my vet has told me that every 3 years is fine now.

As your horse was last vaccinated in 2004, he is obviously due. What does it say he was vaccinated with? For a flu vaccination certificate to be valid for competitions, the vaccination has to be given within the required time - it cannot go one day over, if it does you have to start the whole course again. Get in touch with your vet

icemaiden113

Visit site
Tetnus can be done every 2 years (poss 3 now). And are seperate from flu as they mix the vaccine normally. Mine are rarely done for flu as there are so many strains and it shortens the life span! As long as you have tet then it's okay. But he is def due now!

jordenknight

Visit site
thanks!

on the card there is just the 3 vacs.....they all say 'TET toxoid' i think (sp?) so im guessing that hes just covered 4 tetanus.

as its 3 years since his last 1 i think ill call the vet!

Selkie

Visit site
Just had my ponies done The little ones had new passports so tetnus has to be repeated in 6 weeks then 3 yearly