Texting livery yard owner notice?

Happyhoovesc

Visit site
Hi all

I am looking for advice on handing in my notice. I’m leaving on good terms, just so I can have my horse closer to home. I hate phoning people and I’ve not seen my yard owner to speak in person. Would it be acceptable to send a text? Obviously nicely worded and say to her to call me if she wishes... or do I just stop over thinking her reaction and call her? I don’t want to do the wrong thing. Help :(

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
It’s always better to tell someone in person even if it feels awkward at the time. I don’t think it’s something anyone decent enjoys especially if they like the YO. I’d follow it up with a text or email confirming your discussion though to provide a formal record.

Happyhoovesc

Visit site
Yeah, I’m so worried about it. I have been putting it off for weeks when I really want to make the move. It’s an annoying trait I have! I don’t want to hurt, upset or offend anyone. Care too much about other people’s feelings, which isn’t always a bad thing I suppose

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I think I'd probably speak on the phone or in person first, then follow up with something written (email or text) just to document in case of any issues down the line. I'd just say something like 'I'll send you a text to confirm date so you've got it in writing as well' to try not to come across too formally.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I agree calling is better than texting but it does depend on the person, my last YO never answered the phone but did pick up texts eventually, so as I knew I wouldn't be able to catch him in person for several days I dropped him a text. it was fine.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If calling bothers you, either call, but preface with, "I feel really awkward, but..." or just go ahead with a text.

Text is perfectly OK, not like you are splitting up with a long term boyfriend/girlfriend!

I would finish with a, "call me if you would like any more info," or something similar. Also, to say you have been happy, bit am only moving because...... etc.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I would email rather than text if you can.

If not maybe text & say you'd like to speak regarding ending your livery agreement then at least it's not coming out of the blue and you won't be so nervous when you do speak?

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Just send a text. Just make sure u make it gushy. Loved every minute of my time at the yard, you have been so welcoming, my horse has been so happy blah blah blah however I need to be realistic about my restraints on time/money so have decided to move to somewhere closer to home etc

Whoopit

Visit site
Thanks guys, I know calling is the right thing to do. Just every time I go to call, I get the fear. I hate it. Does this happen to any of you?

Write down what you’re going to say before you call. I do this when I’m having horrible conversations with people in my team at work!! It gives me confidence and I don’t stumble and I’ve said what I need to say without babbling!

Equi

Visit site
I sent a FB message. My YO and i were on great terms and they didnt mind the way i said it...but then i was in africa at the time and a text/call would probably have worked out quite expensive lol

Northern Hare

Visit site
Another option would be to text the YO to say that you would like to speak to her on the phone, and ask what a good time to call her would be, as you know she is very busy....

That way, she will most probably know what to expect when you call her. Also there’s less risk that you’ll catch her whilst she’s busy etc etc.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
As a YO I'd not be too fussed about the method of contact tbh, but my issue would be whether I'd actually pick up the text as phone coverage here isn't always too reliable (pigeon would usually do better!!).

Also, if you have enjoyed a good relationship with your YO, then you really don't need to be fearful about letting them know you are leaving!! But yes, I think I know what you mean when you say you would find it difficult - and a text says what you want to say, end of.

Just a suggestion, but why don't you write a little card and stick it through YO's letterbox?? That would be a way of expressing your appreciation (you could also, as someone else has suggested) include a bottle of plonk, box of choccies, whatever...........

Thinking on it, TBH, I think yes I WOULD find a text a bit "clinical".........

sport horse

Visit site
Why do you not want to phone but expect the YO to phone you? I have had girls apply for a job and they think that a text/Facebook message is enough to secure job offer. I always ask them to call and if they do not I dont take it any further.

rextherobber

Visit site
Or write a letter on paper with a pen and give it to her. Maybe with a little gift as a thank you to show there are no hard feelings.
This is what I did, texts go astray, and just seem too casual, after all, you are formally ending a contract, and it's a good opportunity to say thank you,with a bottle of wine. I did leave flowers on the day I actually left as well , I'd really liked being on their yard.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I send a Whatasapp message so it's in writing, have proof I've sent it and it's been delivered.

After one particular YO, I make sure everything is writing to cover myself.

Personally, I would never call and have left almost all yards on good terms.

Muddywellies

Visit site
Thanks guys, I know calling is the right thing to do. Just every time I go to call, I get the fear. I hate it. Does this happen to any of you?
Yep. I'm heading for 50 yet ringing people gives me the heebeejeebees (and I'm a professional in a well paid job ?). All I'll say is your yard owner will be perfectly used to this and won't take it personally. It's not like you're asking for a divorce ?. She will just think "that's a shame, now who's next on the waiting list for that stable". Call her, be totally un emotional and say you're v sorry but you need to move the horse closer to home. I always tell yard owners how much I have enjoyed being at the yard (it's usually true) and thst I'm sorry to be leaving. It'll be fine, don't over think it. It's just business.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Why do you not want to phone but expect the YO to phone you? I have had girls apply for a job and they think that a text/Facebook message is enough to secure job offer. I always ask them to call and if they do not I dont take it any further.

Some people find being called much less anxiety inducing than preparing to make a call, I'm one of them.