Thank god for CCTV - not CR. *pics*

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Ok so apologies that this isn't CR but on Thurs night I was watching tv with hubby. Unusually we were late to start heading to bed (about 11.30) and since putting the cctv camera in the stable of my pregnant mare, I have been flicking the tv onto the camera for a looksy before going to bed.

Most of the time she looked like this:
TheScottishBorders-20110612-00130.jpg

Which my hubby thought was boring - you only really ever saw her resting a foot, eating, sleeping etc. Strangely even though she did nothing, it was quite addictive!

We installed the cctv last week as my mare was 318 days on Sat (due at 340) so I thought this would be well in advance and we can sort out any issues we might get.

Anyway on thurs, when i flicked over she was standing near the water bucket - not really doing anything but then walked over to where she lies down and started turning a circle - she doesn't normally do this so I watched a bit more. then i noticed the amniotic sac pushing out and within a couple of minutes she had laid down and started pushing:
TheScottishBorders-20110617-00135.jpg

After ten minutes her foal was born:
IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

15 days early!

It took a while to get him suckling so he didn't look great for 24 hours, however the vet came out today to say his antibodies were very high and he was doing very well :D :D
IMG-20110618-00153.jpg

turned him out for 5 mins (as advised) but the rain came on so he came back in:

IMG-20110618-00158.jpg

Mum is also doing fab as a first timer :)

No name yet, but my hubby wants his stable name to be Haggis!!

I know this should be in breeding section, but I only spend any time in CR

louisesb

Visit site
Blimey - that is quite early, although he looks a little cracker!! I too like Haggis - unusual but not too horrendous to scream across the field when he won't be caught later in life!! Glad to hear mum is doing well too.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
Thanks all, I'm not sure if its usual for them to be early, my book said that they can come anytime between 320 days and 360 (full term is 340). Foals born before 320 are classed as premature so he was born in the 'zone' although I still wasn't really expecting it as lots of people had told me that usually first timers can hold on to 360.

I think she might have had him early as the vet said he was big for a first foal.

who knows

I'm sort of getting used to Haggis now!

Kirstyhen, my hubby said it was boring watching her as he was willing her to move all the time! until she started foaling, then he thought it was very cool!

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
I wanted something a bit heavier than a TB so went for ID, he was a local stallion and has a lovely temperament. As its my first time breeding a foal, I thought temperament and ID was a good mix.

Ideally I would love him to be an eventer when he is older but who knows :D

Here is another photo I took earlier at 40 hours old :D

IMG-20110618-00168.jpg

Shame Ellie is pooing right behind! :D

Last edited:

AlFresco

Visit site
He is gorgeous! :D I actually really like Haggis, suits him somehow :) How about a 'proper' name of something like 'Bryland Chieftain', inspired by the 'Address to a Haggis' - "Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!" lol :D

suzysparkle

Visit site
He is just stunning, and Haggis is a great name! His Dad looks lovely....neck is just like mine (explains why he's so strong). He's an ISH. Same kind eye as well. Thanks for sharing the photos, lovely to see.

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
My sister tried her best not to laugh when I said he might be called Haggis!

Will mention Bryland Chieftain to J, I have said he is allowed to choose his name to make him feel more involved although I do get the final say!

Thistle

Visit site
He is very cute. Willough is 320 days, CCTV is nearly there! Will be finished on Monday.

I like the name Haggis - it's 'unique' ATM our foal bump is called Wotsit!

alwaysbroke

Visit site
He is gorgous, I am suffering from serious foal envy this year, have been getting my fix in breeding section so lovely to see one in here as well:)

Optimist

Visit site
Congratulations! absolutely beautiful - I know exactly how you feel re proud parent, my mare has just produced my first (her second) foal last night (pictures in breeding should you be interested!). Mine, possibly not quite so classically beautiful..... My family won't let me call him Fugly :)