Thank god for video cameras!!

Ash the arab

Visit site
Had a jump lesson yesterday and whilst it wasn't disastrous, i came away feeling a bit pathetic and feeling sorry for Joe (the horse) that he had to put up with me!!
I kept coming on a bad stride to an oxer and he was having to leap it
blush.gif
After watching the vid back - yes i was wrong at the fence and need to make a more postive decision when i realise it, the rest was quite nice!
If it wasn't for the fact i could watch myself back, i might still be beating myself up over it.

BBs

Visit site
Very true indeed.
After the training with Ollie he made me very aware of what i was doing with my hands. All the way home I was thinking Jeez hes so right and what on earth can i do to stop it. Anyway, once i watched the vid back i could see what i was doing wrong much clearer so i am able to work on that now.
Got videoed at the BSJA show and my hands were 100% better than they were! YO even said WOW you are much better now.
Some ppl hate being videoed but I really find it helpful. I have loads of vids and some of them i cant watch because it was so bad. But its very useful espec like me atm i cant afford training so i get YO or mum to vid me at a weekend so i can see if we are improving or not
grin.gif

Where was your training?

k9h

Visit site
I do think they are in valuable for training as what you feel may not be what others see. Also you can then but together in your mind what your postion is like as o how it feels. Also you can see if having your leg slightly back how it changes the horse or anything like that.
Don't beat yourself up at least you are trying to learn & improve from them. So many people dont.
Well done & keep up the good work.

Ash the arab

Visit site
Watching my 'Ollie clinic' back was really good.
Whilst we had a great lesson, he had us upping the tempo of the canter, i felt like iwas riding in a jump off
shocked.gif
. But watching the vid back, in the stronger canter, Joe looked just right. so i can use that to make sure i am riding the right canter and not just 'looking pretty'!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I video everything - I am very self critical and always wanting to better everything so I find it the perfect tool. I was always being told my reins were too long but could not understand this as contact felt fine - watched vid and could see straight away that they were same with me leaning forwards. Also sometimes its nice to realise it is the horses fault and you have done everything you could have!

BBs

Visit site
I think had I brought Winston I too would have had to upped my temp! i am working hard on this at home with him. Whereas with snoop he is forward anyway. My problem was my hands, in that I pull back if I know im wrong into a fence when i should just really leave well alone and just sit there with my leg on.
Also got to stop pushing with my seat when i see a stride too lol i sit and watch riders at events and i know if they are right then you see them pull or kick and you think *WHY* if they just sat there they would have been right lol
But i suffer with that too lol
Jeez it really is the riders fault that teh horse gets it wrong half the time lol just sit still.....but i always feel Ive got to do something lol

Have you go any more training wtih you know who booked?

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Whilst we had a great lesson, he had us upping the tempo of the canter, i felt like iwas riding in a jump off
shocked.gif
. But watching the vid back, in the stronger canter, Joe looked just right. so i can use that to make sure i am riding the right canter and not just 'looking pretty'!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. This is exactly the same situation as me.
I am always being told to up the tempo and get some power and evergy into the canter. But it feels like we are jumping in a jump off like you said, so it feels too fast but when I watch it on the video, it looks like a lovely rhythmic energetic canter.

Also, recently in a schooling/jumping session, I noticed that my right leg slips back and nags! (now working on this)
We had the lively canter and because of this, I felt like I was all over the place over the fences, but watching the video afterwards, I was quite impressed with myself.
ooo.gif

Camcorders are brilliant, just had a new one for Christmas. We video almost every round and I must watch it about 20 times when I get home.
blush.gif
grin.gif

Butterbean

Visit site
Agree, video cameras are great ... watching yourself afterwards is a special form of torture (OMG I'm the worst rider ever, WHAT was my leg doing there? etc ) ! OH kindly video'd me at a clinic last weekend & I now have a HUGE list of things to work on ... but it was also nice to see how well Brooklyn jumped despite the sack of spuds on his back
grin.gif

Just wish could get someone to video us more often.
Its also sooo good to look back on years later - have some fab XC video from 8-9 years ago with my lovely Merlin in his prime - such good memories!

Spotted

Visit site
I love video cameras, but have you noticed how you don't take them anywhere and you always come home with rosettes etc.... take them and it is guaranteed to rain or worse and your equine friend has to go and knock down fences! I have the worse handshake in the world when I'm videoing, so it all becomes a bit involved like David Bailey as I need tripods or the video isn't watchable
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif