thank you Muffy!

Skhosu

Visit site
anyone confirm if they were meat horses?
OOI really..they looked really good to me.
I think someone lives near there?

Tia

Visit site
It has been reported all along that the owner of these horses is a meat dealer/breeder. Just check out any news and you'll see.

Meat horses over there aren't like meat horses in the UK - often they just have to be over 8 or 9 years old or to only get to medium level dressage to be placed on the scrap heap. I know, I used to import these "old" and "useless" ones.
frown.gif

Patches

Visit site
I have a friend called Silvia in Holland who sent me a link to the video which was 18 minutes long and a report, in Dutch. Sadly I couldn't read this as my lingual skills are confined to English and asking for a jam sandwich in French! lol

She described the place in terms of contract rearing where people send out of work horses to winter graze and youngsters to grow and mature as part of a herd. She also said the owner of the land was not the owner of all the horses.

I'll send her an email and ask more details but she was adamant it was a facility for boarding and said she'd used a similar facitlity herself in the past when she had youngsters she turned away.

ETA: I'm still up as the wind is so bad we've just had to take the windmill down that was practically launching itself into space - woke us up - and decided to check on the hen coat roof which was lifting so have just wedged that on. Branches of trees everywhere!

CastleMouse

Visit site
Taken from ABC news website -
Marianne Thieme, leader of the Netherlands' Party for the Animals, said it was clear something went badly wrong, since the country's weather service had warned of possible flooding as early as Tuesday morning.

"The most terrible thing is that the death and suffering of all these horses could have been prevented. When autumn comes, you know that if you keep animals outside the dikes you put them at great risk," she said.

She said that the horses' owner has been accused of neglecting his animals in the past, and the nature reserve's managers had failed to enforce an Oct. 15 deadline for allowing animals to graze in the area.

Tia

Visit site
Oh well that would be lovely if this really is the case
smile.gif
. All the reports I read were that he was a meat man and that since he was being fined for allowing this to happen he was going to send them to slaughter sooner than later to pay the fine
crazy.gif

As they say.....never believe anything you read in the press eh
confused.gif
!!

Patches

Visit site
Well the propaganda might be more on their side of the water than ours, you never know.

They weren't supposed to be grazing in that particular area, she did say that. They should've been moved and the manager was in deep poop is what her press were telling her.

Here's the link to the footage she sent to me. It runs on for much longer than the footage in Muffy's link. There was one horse who didn't follow the others and can be seen receiving veterinary attention towards the end. I do hope it survived as it collapsed when it reached dry land. Obviously it's in Dutch but the play button is still a play button - international language.

http://www.nos.nl/nosjournaal/artikelen/2006/11/3/031106_paarden.html

Tia

Visit site
Ye I saw that vid from the girl who lives in the Netherlands on here. She posted it in Latest News - it choked me!
frown.gif

Well I hope he does get fined as not on really! Bless those girls on their horses though - they are 21 century hero's.