Thank you so much, fellow local horse owner

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I have just had an elderly gentleman turn up at my house to get my insurance details after one of my horses hit his car yesterday and damaged the wing and wing mirror.

There's just one problem, it wasn't my horse, my horses haven't left my property for some months, so someone has given my address and told the chap he'd know which house it was by the unusual colour of the car in the yard. The chap is not amused and before I could stop him he read me the riot act about "my" behaviour yesterday because apparently the person in question and their entourage were extremely rude to him.

I'd love to think it was just coincidence but given that he was told he'd know the house by the car it's looking rather deliberate to me.

madlady

Visit site
I'd be absolutely fuming!

Do you only live in a small place - are there a group of 'suspects?'

TBH I'd seriously consider giving the police a call - if it's someone being malicious then who knows what they will do next!

Dubsie

Visit site
Unless of course he asked 'who has horses round here?' and was told 'oh probably will be the lady with x colour car in y road she has some'

These things come about by local folk lore (remember getting slated one summer for having a cockerel that was waking everyone on the housing estate up early - except our cockerel was despatched before the preceding winter)

*hic*

Visit site
He seemed to accept it wasn't me or mine because I was so surprised by the whole thing. I guess the proof of the pudding will be whether I hear any more about it. I doubt whoever it was did it to get at me and guess it was just a knee-jerk reaction from someone who didn't want to pay up. I'm relatively new here and don't know many people. I won't bother the police over it unless he comes back or I hear any more about it.

I hope the horse involved didn't suffer any injury.

When he first said my horse had hit his car I was horrified because I thought it had just happened and my horses had escaped.

madlady

Visit site
See my knee jerk reaction wouldn't be to give someone else's details! They might have thought it some huge joke to themselves (although I can't understand what is remotely amusing) but it's not funny for you or for the gentleman involved who now has to pay for the damage caused to his car.

For whatever reason they have knowingly given false information in relation to an RTA - that's not big, clever or funny and I'm sure they wouldn't be laughing if the same were done to them.

MargotC

Visit site
When you think you have heard it all. Did he say he got your location from the rider involved in which case it was deliberately given to misled?

The mind boggles. Did the "elderly gentleman" not make note of what the horse (and rider) looked and sounded like then, and did it not occur to him you were not the same person he encountered yesterday...

Depending on circumstances he might be at fault himself for being too close when passing the actual horse that he hit.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I agree you need to notify the police now, rather than waiting to see if you hear anything further. 2 reasons; it might be more difficult to show that your horse wasn't involved and a crime has been committed by the other rider, givng your details in relation to a RTA instead of their own.

Woolly Hat n Wellies

Visit site
The mind boggles. Did the "elderly gentleman" not make note of what the horse (and rider) looked and sounded like then, and did it not occur to him you were not the same person he encountered yesterday...

It can be difficult to tell what someone looks like under a hat, I can never recognise people I've only seen with hats on when they take them off, and one horse looks very much like another horse to someone unhorsey, particularly if they're maybe looking at the damage to their car at the same time.

Regardless, it's absolutely outrageous. I agree with the other posters who said to phone the police. If these people get away with it once, they might try it again.

glamourpuss

Visit site
I think you should have a chat with the police, just in case.
If this person gets away with doing something like this once it might just escalate & make things very difficult for you!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Think I would let the police know and get it logged with a number just in case of any more problems.

Ditto this.

Cover your own @rse basically; plus the person who really IS to blame has given mis-information, with possibly malicious intent and/or intent to mislead, relating to a road traffic incident. Can't see the police being very impressed with that.

*hic*

Visit site
I'm reluctant to contact the police because I'd be ringing a force that in the immediate aftermath of a high-profile horse disappearance were extremely reluctant to take any details from me when I rang to report that I had in my care a stray pony that had been found playing with the traffic. Their reaction was "what do you expect us to do about it" and I had to ask them specifically and quite firmly to please take down my name and address in case the owner contacted them to say they'd lost a pony. I can't begin to imagine their reaction to my ringing to say some old bloke I wouldn't recognise and had no details of had come round to tell me that he had hit a horse and thought it was me and one of mine when it wasn't and I didn't know who or whose horse it was. The old chap went quietly so perhaps he'd realised that the grey-haired old lady speaking RP in a pink dressing gown from her landing window wasn't the same person he'd last seen effing and blinding at him the day before.

As for proving it wasn't one of mine, I'm the only person who rides here on my private yard and I've been banned from riding by my doctors for the past fifty weeks. I did hop on a horse some months ago when one set of doctors said it would be ok, the other set immediately banned me again when I checked with them and then the team that had given me the go ahead banned me again as well :( The resultant weight gain from months of near bed-rest means that I have limited rideable options: two retirees, one unbroken, two not up to my increased weight, leaving one unshod who wouldn't cope on the road and the big mare who was shod on Thursday and had she been ridden her shoes would show signs of roadwork, we have to use the road to leave the yard.

I am shocked that someone would deliberately mislead the driver, I don't think it was aimed maliciously at me though.

Merlod

Visit site
I think what people mean is that you need to report it as 'someone (rider) has given false information in relation to an RTA' not that 'some old bloke hit a horse thought it was yours but it wasn't'. I think the police will be more concerned as it involved vehicles and members of the public.

I would strongly advise cover your a$$ by reporting, if these riders are reckless and/or abusive any other incidents they are involved could easily also be blamed on you and as you never protested about the first allogation it could make things cloudy..

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I think what people mean is that you need to report it as 'someone (rider) has given false information in relation to an RTA' not that 'some old bloke hit a horse thought it was yours but it wasn't'. I think the police will be more concerned as it involved vehicles and members of the public.

I would strongly advise cover your a$$ by reporting, if these riders are reckless and/or abusive any other incidents they are involved could easily also be blamed on you and as you never protested about the first allogation it could make things cloudy..

Agree. It's the fraudulent details / leaving the scene of an accident thing you must report to cover your own back.