Thankyou

Suelin

Visit site
To all the people who answered my calls for help, regarding my mother's springer spaniel. I can thankfully let you all know that Springer Spaniel rescue have come to our aid and are now involved with the responsible rehoming of this little dog.

This has been a very stressful situation for my elderly parents and of course for the little dog who is the real victim in all of this sorry saga. However at least now she will go to people who understand the breed and have the energy to keep up with her.

Thankyou all so much, your support and good advice has been wonderful and I am truly grateful to you all.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Aww, that's really good news. A specific breed rescue is the best way to re home the dog. Perhaps they may even have an older dog that your parents could take that would be happy with a slower life? Well done to you for getting this dog to somewhere where it will be able to hopefully have a future. I hope your parents are ok.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Been following your story. Sounds like things are moving in the right direction, which mustbe a huge relief.

Alec Swan

Visit site
That's excellent news. I don't suppose that your parents would be interested in a totally amenable, clean, short coated, VERY attractive and well mannered 4 year old collie bitch which has been spayed, would they?

The story is that my FIL who has dementia inherited her when my MIL died, and the simple fact is that he pays no attention to her. Everyday she makes her way from his garden, to our house, about a half mile, and lays on my doorstep awaiting my return. She's called Meg, and she's a truly lovely little thing. I've explained to my FIL that we can't continue as we are, and we had a lovely home lined up but he changed his mind at the last minute. This time, he assures me, he will stick to our agreement, and re-home her.

The difficulty is that when I take her home, and he sees her with me, then I have to stay to prevent the poor girl from getting a kicking. Things must change.

I hate doing this, and if the dog actually registered with him, then we would find a way around it, but she is let out in the morning and then left to her own devices, all day.

There we are. She's a little sweetheart, should anyone know of a suitable home. I will not release her to a rescue centre, of any sort. She will only go to a new home, direct from here.

Alec.

Suelin

Visit site
Alec that is really sad and I feel your concern, I really do. However Mother has realised that they just can't manage another dog so they are resigned now to not having another. They are really gutted that they have had to let her go, it's not in their nature to admit defeat. Believe me my mother has been in tears over this. A very hard lesson learned.

I am only sorry now that the original "owners/rescue" did not send her to a specific rehomer before all of this. Just so unfair on everyone especially the dog. However things will be fine for her now and that, at the end of all of this, is what really matters.

Thankyou all again so very much.

Burmilla

Visit site
Alec, would your FIL notice if Meg didn't return one evening? Could you hang on to her until a suitable home could be found?
Very difficult situation for you, and worse for the dog, although she has a caring friend in you.

Alec Swan

Visit site
Burmilla, yes, I've considered it, but the not knowing where she is, would be needlessly cruel and it would be yet another event for him to latch on to and become distressed about, and the other point is that it would be theft, and that I won't do.

Suelin, my MIL was 83 when she passed away, and my FIL is now the same age. Meg's push-button and instructions only need to be whispered!! She's used to geriatrics! Another HHOer has PMd me for some pics, so my OH will take some, when she turns up here, which should be in the next 10 minutes, or so!

Difficult days, and we will re-home her, but with his agreement.

Alec.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Oh Alec, that's just heart breaking. I do hope the right home can be found for her. Good luck with the HHOer visit!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Suelin, that is good news, as you say very upsetting for your parents and you but fab for the little dog. Do you think they might consider rehoming a much smaller, elderly little dog in time, one who would appreciate a quiet life sitting on someones knee. They obviously have much love to give, it seems such a shame not to use it. Alec, that is a really sad situation with your FIL, I cant be any help at all but do hope you are able to sort something out soon for everyones sake. It must be heartbreaking to watch.