That thing vets do; running a pen down each side of a horse's back...

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I was told (at a very interesting 'talk' given by a physiotherapist at Rossdales, and also at horse vettings) that it was normal to get some reaction; usually dipping in the middle of the back, and when they get to the bum a short of buttock clenching. A violent reaction, or none at all were both baaaaad.
Well, a few weeks ago the vet came out to check the Ginger One for back pain and she dug her fingers rather deeply into his back; more so than I've seen it done in the UK, and concentrated on his saddle area.. He did dip his back, and she said she was satified that he was ok.
Now, my question is, how reliable IS such testing? After all, we don't create little pressure points with our fingers, we put a saddle on their backs with a wider weigh-bearing surface. Also, if she'd dug her fingers like that into any part of PF's anatomy, she (PF, not the vet) would've sworn very loudly and pulled an evil face...
Can anyone shed some light on such procedures??

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
When you are running your hands over the back there are certain points which will create a reaction elsewhere. ie, If the horse is sore just behind the saddle you will see a muscle flinch in front of then lower flank, however the back reacts. Sometimes you do need to press hard to sort of massage the damage out so you can see it - on a proper knackered one you will see dipped holes in the muscle to the side of the back.
Most important thing though is to check the levelness to the other side. If the horse dips to one side whatever you are doing it usually means there is something wrong.

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
Hi PF - This is perfectly normal - this is how our physio checks for pressure points etc - in fact the reflex that you described down the back of the rump, we do daily to loosen up the joints and free everything up - there are so many reflex points on a horse which if you know where they are and can dig around with your fingers, they tell you an awful lot about how the horse is using itself, whether it's sore, where its' sore etc.
smile.gif

Kate x

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
what about horses that don't have any reaction at all? is it possible that some horses are just thicker skinned or could it be a more serious problems? Most of the yard horses have got damaged backs (sores and stuff) from ill-fitting saddles (now rectified) but you could poke and prod all day and not get a response.

vicijp

I think thats a good general assumption to make with general flinching, uneasyness etc. Personally i start to get worried to a major reaction, ie if they 'drop', 'hunch' or just stand unevenly/uncomfortably.
With think skinned horses you will find a problem if you look and squeeze hard enough. If you spend 10 mins rubbing alone either die of the spine and relax the muscles the tears will usually start to show(I use the Equissage hand unit). With ongoing problems they learn how to cope better, but youll usually see some muscle wastage somewhere.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
With think skinned horses you will find a problem if you look and squeeze hard enough. If you spend 10 mins rubbing alone either die of the spine and relax the muscles the tears will usually start to show(I use the Equissage hand unit).

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I'm being very dense, but do you mean that if you persist beyond the general, initial 'ticklishness' you will detect a problem if it's actually there?

So do you think muscle wastage is a better/just as good guide as to a back problem? Lots of horses here (not PF or Antifaz though) have 'concave' backs and withers. I've always heard that was NOT good, but I actually heard someone tell me that PF had 'inflamed' withers because hers weren't sunken!!
shocked.gif
eeejits!!

vicijp

I think so, yes. If you persist firmly, without taking your hands off the skin their reaction should settle down. Then if they start in a specific place you should know where to look.
Muscle wastage is a good guide, but sometimes more of a guide to other problems. For example a horse throwing a curb will most likely develop muscle wastage on the other rump.

Sal_E

Visit site
Hi PF. Re your question about thick vs thin-skinned horses, the vet (etc) will have seen all sorts so won't necessarily make a judgement immediately - i.e. they should assess if they have a particularly sensitive (or otherwise) horse & judge accordingly - if they get a different reaction on both sides then that's obviously a clearer sign that there's something there other than over-sensitivity. In a nutshell, the vet should adjust his pressure/testing based on the horse, which he should assess as he's going...