The aftermath

Goldenstar

Visit site
OMG now it’s pouring and pouring which is good in one way because it’s tsking away the snow but the field is flooded the school is almost flooded.
I am having to continually check the drains round the buildings are not filling with bits and pieces and blocking because the buildings will flood .
I am so over this weather .
My poor horses are out until one when super groom returns for the farrier coming they are standing looking like an advert for world horse welfare but I think they need the fresh air .
When I get back rain and school dependant I will lunge my two .
We started racking up outside but the hardstanding is running with water it will take several days to tidy up.
How are the rest of you all doing ?

Fiona

Visit site
Ours are back with normal turnout arrangements, but its definitely soggy.

Dog is wearing her all in one overall, as otherwise she would be caked in mud.

Some of our original drains are blocked but the newer ones are all running well.

Fiona

ihatework

Visit site
4 inches of fresh snow :(

Bum :(

Ours are back to normal, last remnant of drifts still about but otherwise all roads clear, school drained and functioning, paddocks surprisingly good.

Last hunt meet of the season in our area tomorrow YIPPPEEEEE, then completely back to normal

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
also fed up. Hoping the snow might have retreated far enough to make the school usable this afternoon. Fields are out of bounds because they are now so wet. Haven't ridden for a week, horses been in since Wednesday, still got bleddy BD regionals on Thursday... we will get there... just might not stay in the arena :mad:

SEL

Visit site
The rain hasn't hit us yet (but my reliable weather app tells me its on its way sadly). BUT my horses are up to their bellies in mud in their trash paddock and the PSSM one has gone very stuffy on me. Head snaking to the ground this morning, ears back, bunny hopping into canter and then pulling up again. Not a surprise really given she's barely done any work for 2 weeks, spent most of last week in a stable and I gave up soaking hay when it came out of the trug solid. Sugar overload and no work = perfect PSSM storm sadly. *sigh*

Summer is on its way soon isn't it?????

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
It poured down at mine last night, so we spent most of the evening digging extra drainage ditches to try to stop the boiler room flooding.

But it was worth it to get rid of the snow - I rode out this morning for the first time in over a week. My horses are in for one last day today as the fields are completely underwater, but hopefully by tomorrow it should be OK again and then we can get back to normal. Plus mine aren't doing too bad as they have only been stuck inside since Saturday, and I have managed to hand walk them at either end if the day

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Ours went out for the first time since last Monday evening this morning. They were surprisingly good, considering! Sis and I put our hats on, in case anyone decided that we may wish to see their tummys, but the feet stayed mainly where they needed to be :) The Appy did a bit of a inhand hand canter for the last few yards and the cob did take both of us to hang on at one point, BUT we all made it in one piece and they then ran round like total fruitloops, then settled down to hay. :) No rugs on today the mud will dry :)

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
All back to normal. Stamped down the 2ft snowdrift to my horses paddock so the staff could get her through yesterday. Some very naughty ponies on display running around and getting loose and lots of surface water on paddocks but on the whole when I went up to adjust my fencing last night my paddock wasn't as bad as I had feared.

EventingMum

Visit site
Pouring here, everything is like paddy fields - there are even ducks swimming in one field :( There is still a fair bit of snow to melt too so goodness when we'll dry out and if this freezes it will be lethal. Managed to turn some horses out, the others have had to go in the school or on the walker, it's all really depressing.

Abi90

Visit site
Pouring here. Loads of roads closed. Fields are like swamps. Supposed to rain all week, not going to dry out for a long time

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Being on clay I found turning out on the snow to be a lot easier then now. My fields are beyond wet, in fact I think I saw Kevin doing the back stroke earlier.

At least I can go back to soaking hay and stop feeding my cob Ffin haylage. He is a nightmare on it , he might calm down enough by the weekend for me to think about riding. That's if it isn't pissing down.

Berpisc

Visit site
The vast majority of snow is gone, to be replaced with mud. Muddy horses (mine live out) muddy dogs, muddy hens (actually not too bad), grumpy guinea fowl. Muddy house. I have bought a large dirt trapper mat as I am sick of the kitchen looking like we have plasterers in; I hope it will take up some of the wet and mud shed by me and the dogs which then turns to a heavy layer of dust. Still I am grateful we are not as snowed under as some.
Managed a quick hack round the village this morning, guess what Her Majesty spooked at....residual snow.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Embarrassed to say I rode in the sun this morning, did a full tidy up after last week's snow, no rugs on today either.

*Grabs coat and legs it*

I'm not sure I'd quite say it was sunny when I rode earlier, but it was warm enough and dry, and everything is out in rain sheets (for grooming ease!) today. No issues at all here - everything's been out all day, every day and only a couple of days off exercise last week. There are some advantages to being (relatively) southern :p

I too shall grab my coat and run away now!

Fiona

Visit site
oh, what are these? was just saying to hubby we need something like this for our dogs!

I'll check it for a makers name, I honestly can't remember what online petshop I bought it from.

If you search dog all in one bodysuit on google though, the pic at the top from Kramer equestrian looks identical to ours

Fiona

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well it nice not to be alone , I did consider crying this morning and decided that I was so wet no one would notice so saved my energy .
It’s not raining now , I have been into Newcastle to the clinic that looked after me when I was on a diet for a wieght in ( gained .6 of a kilo ,too many comfort carbs last week) it’s dryer down there but it’s not raining here atm and the school has drained off a bit so I am going to have a go at lunging my two .
Yesterday me we went to mums we saw a car than had been hit by a snow plough it’s was a white car left and covered in a drift and the driver of the plough did not see it ,it was a terrible terrible mess a complete write off .
The spring is just around the corner folks heads down plow on .

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
Snowdrifts still causing havoc in the fields - the baby pony just doesn't seem to get it and tries to climb over them (rather than around them) only to face plant. Fields are wet beyond wet now so we're back to mud covered equines needing a hose down before bedtime - except the hosepipe is still frozen! My arena is still covered in snow so yesterday resorted to long reining up and down driveway between walls of snow which the horses want to snort at and paw. At least the horses aren't too mad after their enforced incarceration so am quite happy they're both reasonably chilled and well behaved.

Hallo2012

Visit site
we are really lucky.

sandy soil so doesnt tend to get churned up and any small ruts crumble flat as soon as it dries......so on sunday after our fairly minimal snow thawed(midlands) the 2 horses needing most grass moved on to their summer paddocks which are bright green with a good covering and no mud.

the 2 fatties moved on to the rough leftovers on the winter paddocks and we opened up 2 paddocsk so they have more space to move around. most minuscule amount of mud in that gateway.

the just right one has stayed on his winter field but its fairly big and flat and the grass is already growing in the top half of it plus he has LOADS of old rough stuff left and being a native doesnt need lush green stuff anyway..... His gateway is slightly poached but will dry and flatten with the rise in temps over the next fortnight i expect and when i say poached, you could still navigate it in uggs or trainers its not really bad!

the yard is gravel and did not freeze slick so no clear up there, the snow has simply melted away to nothing.

they have all been worked as normal as sand and rubber arena doesnt freeze, so no rest for them! they only stayed in 1 day when we needed to move a lot of fence around anyway.

i feel for those of you that had a ton of snow and now flooding :(

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Sand and rubber freeze after three days at minus ten, Hallo2012!

Arena base is still frozen though top thawed, so I have standing water on it for the first time since it was built six years ego.

Taps are still frozen somewhere underground.

But on the whole, things are all back to normal thanks GS. Sorry you are waterlogged.

Hallo2012

Visit site
Sand and rubber freeze after three days at minus ten, Hallo2012!

Arena base is still frozen though top thawed, so I have standing water on it for the first time since it was built six years ego.

Taps are still frozen somewhere underground.

But on the whole, things are all back to normal thanks GS. Sorry you are waterlogged.

ok MY sand and rubber doesnt freeze! never has done in 19 years and we had 2 days at -12 (incl windchill) so unsure what your point is?!

sorry yours froze, mine didnt.

Lintel

Visit site
Doing terrible. Beds soaked because of the snow drifting in. Hardstanding is doing well ... poo picking is a nightmare and there's lots of poo to catch up on. I haven't ridden for 9 days ... just when he was starting to fitten up again. Blooming nightmare.

eggs

Visit site
Snow has finally pretty much all melted and yard is a complete mess with hay all over the place. It will have to wait until the weekend when I will have time to sweep it. Water came back to life yesterday afternoon and fortunately no burst pipes as remembered to turn water off before the freeze.
Fields are water logged and with 10 days of rain forecast I don't see that changing for some time. Horses have been going out every day but generally are coming in after only a couple of hours as it doesn't seem much point to leave them standing in mud at the gate. In fact one of them would much rather not be turned out at all.
Fortunately we have an indooor school so have been able to keep them in work.

Will be glad to see the end of wet and mud.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Oh yes, forgot to add that the entire surface of the barn mine live in at night over winter is sodden squidgy with melted snow. I'm not about to put ten bales of shavings in at this time of year, it will just have to dry out in time.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Winter field looks beyond sad and soggy now :(, though super lucky our school didn't freeze (sand + rubber) so did manage to keep them ticking over a bit, though the wind kept us in for a day or so!

Set off hacking Sunday as all our snow had gone and was met with more drifts half way round, though as we've had lovely Manchester drizzle since I think most should have gone now!

scats

Visit site
I feel for you all who were affected so badly. We had snow, but not much at all and Friday nights lot had melted by Saturday afternoon because the temperature shot up.

Fields coped well as they were so dry before. Manège is back to normal and I was hacking at 5.30 this evening around our farm.

I hope you all get back to normal soon.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Hurrah! Got mine ridden tonight AND out in the field for an hour. At last. They both look a lot more cheerful tonight... though Salty was plenty cheerful when I was in the saddle :eek: I don't care if it rains now, ANYTHING but that sodding snow :lol:

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well I got my pair lunged the school was too wet really but they got half an hour each they where good considering how little turnout they have had .
It’s was a bit snowy both had balls in their feet after but at least I feel I have started again .its too wet to level the school I have left it in the hope more water has gone in the morning and I can get it level before I work them tomorrow I don’t think it will be safe on the drive yet so we are stuck in the school .
I have jumping booked for Thursday night and I will get them out jumping again on Monday and then I have camp next wed thurs I am being very brave and taking both I will be exhausted however I have a cunning plan to import fit young friend for one of the lessons on Thursday .I am really looking forward to camp I hope the weather does not ruin it , the XC training won’t be happening though ,never mind .
Hunting with horses is off due to the wet I had to try very hard not to look too pleased in front of MrGS but I am so over hunting this season .
H has had an easy season so will stay in work for a while he’s full ID and fully mature now so I can’t let him gain to much wieght .
Then I have to deal with what to do with Fatty whose stifle did not come sound and Tatts who damaged his suspensory hunting at the beginning of December Tatts is 18 bad age for that type of injury not looking forward to that .
But spring is coming at last .