The award for the longest serving horse carer goes to?!

Gift Horse

Visit site
The thread about wanting more time to do other things after 55 yrs of horse care got me thinking.

Who, on here has racked up the most years of daily horse care?

Not me, I’ve only served 24 years :)

Mrs B

Visit site
Not as long as that, yet! Had care of a pony from 8, so coming up to 44. I wonder how many barrows of poo that is?

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
Well I got my first pony when I was 9, kept her at my grandads farm...then onto first horse at 14 kept at a riding school, and then sold last one , my sons horse 3 years ago. 50 years of horses...god knows how many Barrows of poo ar Haynets I’ve filled...miles I’ve driven in the horsebox..times I’ve held horses for my son while he played Polocrosse or walked them between chukkas ..now I am having a break...don’t think I will go back to horse ownership now.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
44 winters and don't I know it.

I could be retired, possess savings instead of owing my wonderful vet a small fortune, have a nice big clean house instead of the rabbit hutch grubby one, a nice car, holidays, nails ! nice hands instead of the ones I hide, the list is endless but.............

I would not change a thing, other than wishing my amazing horses were all still alive and I didn't have to watch them age and leave me.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Mother was given my 1st pony when I was a yr old, before that I was apparently parked outside stables in my pram (She was head girl for local yard). Remember cycling to the yard when I was 5, with mother having 2 brothers on her bike- one on the kiddie seat on the back and the other on the handlebars. Tho it stopped for a bit when brother no 3 turned up.
Am closer to 60 than 50 now..... Currently have 3, most I've had was 16, plus the liveries .... so much to muck out, so many items of tack to clean....

Am sure there are others here who have been barrow pushing and riding loads longer tho :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I got my first equine (which wasn't a pony, he was a very evil donkey stallion) when I was 8; I'm 59 now, so 51 years and counting - that seems to be a recurring number!

Fools Motto

Visit site
A mere 36 years of caring for our equine family. (I did have a very brief break, hated it, missed the horses, so I'm back!) Many barrows of poo, many miles of walking to the fields, many water buckets carried and many yards of yards swept!
But, no where near the leader!!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Probably getting on for 55 years. I did have a short break when the children were very small but not for long and I only had a pony nothing for me to ride for 10 years. I didn't miss the work, but did miss the riding although I could ride a bit for a hunter livery yard.

It is starting to get a bit much now. This current horse will be the last, although I hope to carry on riding at a local stables that does long hacks and there might be a pony for the grandchildren ...................

sunnyone

Visit site
Forty six years for me, but I do try to let them live out as much as possible.
Currently sat at home for 6 weeks due to falling off an electric bike. Wore a helmet but still got amnesia, concussion and swollen knee. However OH who was in the lead said I kept hold of the handlebars so it didn't take off!!
In a way I'm grateful if it had been horse related, he'd have called time instead of which he's taken over, so I might make 50 years yet.

Archangel

Visit site
39 years - 33 of those were with the same horse (still lost without him). Now if I was to add up the cost of them over time... let's not go there.