The best trot ever?

tristar

Visit site
i like the black horse s trot because it shows cadence and relaxation from which can come true lengthening, eventually, the trainer asks for very little extension, which the horse delivers, in no way is the horse pushed out of its stride or unbalanced, when the horse walks it is allowed to stretch down its head.

the chestnut horse, i think, should be in a field eating grass, at his age, not leaping around like a fairy, although i see what there is to like about him, but as a breeding stallion he is too weak in the loins for my taste and looks engineered by breeding and manufactured in his training whereas the black horse looks natural, unforced and unhindered by his rider

cptrayes

Visit site
Seriously impressed Cortez, by you doing a levade without having to use the reins. Such great proof that the horse is in self carriage and nothing is being forced.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hmm on my phone and it won't let me quote!

Cortez she is a beautiful mare and makes a lovely picture, it looks so much fun! What confo faults would you say she has which should limit her?

Auslander, thank you that was really interesting to read. Though doesn't help me with my worrying, I guess it's a case of do nothing with them so you can't break them or see how you get on and stop when it's physically too much....
Or pay for scans and X-rays every month to moiniter them 😄, could see my mums bank balance objecting to this.

Is it fair to say that a good back end is more important to have right, as this is where you are asking them to sit?

Sorry totally off subject now., though I think Topaz has the best trot ever ;-).

x x

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
What confo faults would you say she has which should limit her?

Is it fair to say that a good back end is more important to have right, as this is where you are asking them to sit?

Sorry totally off subject now., though I think Topaz has the best trot ever ;-). x x

The mare is built totally downhill (14.2h at "withers" - she has none - and 15.1h at croup), is very long in the back, has a straight hind leg. She has a very good neck, set on perfectly (for my job, i.e very high on the shoulder - thank you Mr Friesian Daddy), and an enormous, powerful hindquarter. But mostly what she has is the most beautiful, willing temperament, which is, at the end of all the single most important ingredient - along with soundness! Despite having atrocious conformation she is 16 years old, has worked all her life since the age of 3 and never taken a lame step (touches all available wood!)

"though I think Topaz has the best trot ever"...of COURSE she does.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Re the above comment about soundness. . .some horses are just tough. Usually it goes with intelligence/sense too, as they keep themselves out of trouble, but it can't be denied some horses just have iron constitutions.

Even beneficial biomechanics isn't as simple as having 'good conformation'. Different structures support different jobs more easily and being exceptional in one area can make up for deficiencies in another.

I have a bit of a theory that people have become quite reductionist in their views when choosing horses. They go by what they see and often discount what they 'feel'. It's true knowledge is the backbone of intuition but it's how you mix and apply that knowledge that counts. All the people I've known with a talent for picking good horses have been very knowledgeable but they've also liked what they liked.

_GG_

Visit site
Re the above comment about soundness. . .some horses are just tough. Usually it goes with intelligence/sense too, as they keep themselves out of trouble, but it can't be denied some horses just have iron constitutions.

Even beneficial biomechanics isn't as simple as having 'good conformation'. Different structures support different jobs more easily and being exceptional in one area can make up for deficiencies in another.

I have a bit of a theory that people have become quite reductionist in their views when choosing horses. They go by what they see and often discount what they 'feel'. It's true knowledge is the backbone of intuition but it's how you mix and apply that knowledge that counts. All the people I've known with a talent for picking good horses have been very knowledgeable but they've also liked what they liked.

I used to be the "eyes" for a fairly inexperienced buyer when I was a kid/teenager. At the sales one day, I saw a little Chestnut that looked like it had been put together out of parts from all sorts of breeds, but I convinced Bob and he was bought for £80. 6 months and many SJ ribbons later, he sold for £4k. Not long after that, I saw a 15.2hh TB x and took a real liking to her. Again, Bob looked at me and said her feet are shot, she's got a square back end, no substance etc....I convinced him though and she came home. Bob remained unconvinced, so I begged my parents and we bought her for £1500. When at Hartpury and competing AM dressage, we turned down some stupid money for her. She was baby, I wasn't going to sell her, but despite her flaws, she was an exceptionally talented little horse.

Having a good eye for a horse has nothing to do with being able to spot the perfect conformation or type IMO...but it has everything to do in being able to see beyond the shell in front of you and assess the horse for what it could be. Sometimes, I honestly can't put my finger on what makes me like a horse....but my gut screams at me and I listen. It hasn't let me down yet.

Mearas

Visit site
i like the black horse s trot because it shows cadence and relaxation from which can come true lengthening, eventually, the trainer asks for very little extension, which the horse delivers, in no way is the horse pushed out of its stride or unbalanced, when the horse walks it is allowed to stretch down its head.

Totally agree Tristar:)

TarrSteps

Visit site
I used to be the "eyes" for a fairly inexperienced buyer when I was a kid/teenager. At the sales one day, I saw a little Chestnut that looked like it had been put together out of parts from all sorts of breeds, but I convinced Bob and he was bought for £80. 6 months and many SJ ribbons later, he sold for £4k. Not long after that, I saw a 15.2hh TB x and took a real liking to her. Again, Bob looked at me and said her feet are shot, she's got a square back end, no substance etc....I convinced him though and she came home. Bob remained unconvinced, so I begged my parents and we bought her for £1500. When at Hartpury and competing AM dressage, we turned down some stupid money for her. She was baby, I wasn't going to sell her, but despite her flaws, she was an exceptionally talented little horse.

Having a good eye for a horse has nothing to do with being able to spot the perfect conformation or type IMO...but it has everything to do in being able to see beyond the shell in front of you and assess the horse for what it could be. Sometimes, I honestly can't put my finger on what makes me like a horse....but my gut screams at me and I listen. It hasn't let me down yet.

I knew a guy when I was a kid who was a pretty lousy rider but he could walk into a field of a hundred horses and say, 'That one' and was never wrong. Too bad he ruined the ones he kept!

One of the necessary skills for trainers in the North American system is the ability to assess horses for clients and it's a real knack. Interestingly, people who are a bit agricultural about it are often more successful as don't get blinded by non essentials.

Mearas

Visit site

the chestnut horse, i think, should be in a field eating grass, at his age, not leaping around like a fairy, although i see what there is to like about him, but as a breeding stallion he is too weak in the loins for my taste and looks engineered by breeding and manufactured in his training whereas the black horse looks natural, unforced and unhindered by his rider

I did just want to add that I think allowing the horse to stop and stretch regularly and certainly after some good work is a really undervalued thing. In the video the black horse did perhaps six fantastic strides and was then allowed to stop. It is a great way to teach a horse to recognise when he has done the correct thing.