The best way of handling a rearer?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Like serious serial rearer! Go’s up with little warning, although I can guarantee it will happen in certain situations sometimes I’m caught to tally off guard (not literally as I know it’s pissible but I mean I have no idea what causes it sometimes!)
Will rear repeatedly after the first one and lash out with front legs.
Whilst I’m genuinely not scared I AM scared of loosing it, there have been a few occasions where it’s got a leg over the rope and so as the horse lands there is no possible way to keep hold. It’s always been re-caught fairly easily but...
Starting to really annoy me 😂
What is really the correct way to deal with and hopefully stop this?
Nb, horse does it to anyone it’s just
me that has the pleasure of handling it most.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Doesn’t do it ridden so not as dangerous.
Still managed to break my finger last winter I think I was lucky that was all I injured in honesty

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My approach to this issue, given that it's a confirmed habit would be:

Lead with a lunge line. Give him plenty of slack at all times. When he goes up, run out the lunge line, stand back, and make no attempt to stop him. When he finally comes down to earth, gather in the lunge line as if nothing happened, give the horse a treat, rewarding the calm behaviour you want, and carry on.

DiNozzo

Visit site
Provided you're sure he's not in pain, and you have a bit of room, I'd stick a lunge line on him, and when he goes up, chase him forwards on a tight circle until he stops being a prat.

Be consistent, and whenever he so much as threatens it, chase him out onto a circle and keep him going until he's sensible about life again.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Other than yelling like a loon "get down here you bleep bleep bleep or you are off to tesco" 😂 scared the crap out of a friends horse that she never did it again with us.

Lunge line and whip as soon as he goes up get it moving forward on a small ish circle each time it does it.

Worked on a few we have known and handled.

Keeping the neck bent also helps. Helps to disenage the body and makes it harder and/or impossible to rear.

Is it just in hand?

be positive

Visit site
My approach to this issue, given that it's a confirmed habit would be:

Lead with a lunge line. Give him plenty of slack at all times. When he goes up, run out the lunge line, stand back, and make no attempt to stop him. When he finally comes down to earth, gather in the lunge line as if nothing happened, give the horse a treat, rewarding the calm behaviour you want, and carry on.

I would probably try the above, he is probably expecting to be told off and that in itself can set them off, if ignoring it doesn't work then wait until he is on four feet and work him on a circle until he has had enough then do more.

ihatework

Visit site
Racer yes, although out of proper work for some time due to unjury no he’s not entire
Yes he will strike out

Well presumably it doesn’t belong to you so ultimately dealing with it will be down to whatever tactics your boss ultimately wishes to take.

If it were mine I would put a short set of draw reins over it’s back, through front legs and clip to bit. Fairly unsavoury and not without risk, but equally human safety comes first. It is not something I would do lightly or without the full consent of the owner

ihatework

Visit site
I would probably try the above, he is probably expecting to be told off and that in itself can set them off, if ignoring it doesn't work then wait until he is on four feet and work him on a circle until he has had enough then do more.

Sounds like they are rehabbing an injury

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Is it just in hand? Stay well to one side, and either whack on bum, smack over the front cannon if it's striking out (you have to be quick). If it's really annoying I'd pull him over, but you need to be on soft ground, be quick and nimble (and probably have a bit of experience and done it before). Or you can make him stay up there; that'll soon take the shine off it :)

P.S. We often train horses to rear, so don't look on it as a necessarily bad thing...

Goldenstar

Visit site
Is the horse being hand walked because it’s been injured ?
Is the issue only when being led out not in the stable .

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry! Yes rehabbing, he doesn’t do it ridden and tbh I don’t remember him doing it when he was in work either.
It’s only in hand and he’s lovely in the stable, really quiet!
He’s also oddly good to cold hose (🤞) not wanting to speak too soon ;)

Yes he’d get screamed at from everyone else but it doesn’t help matters and as said I’m the main handler at the moment. I try to pick my time so everything’s quiet which helps but not always possible.
I did try refusing at one point but everyone thought I was joking 😂

ihatework

Visit site
So we have gone from a serial confirmed rearer in the OP. To only does it in hand when not in work.

It sounds manageable if less than ideal. Surely the manager of the yard tells you how he wants the horse managed?

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Been there ... & 17.2hh of angry horse waving his front legs at you is quite daunting. A confirmed rearer not opposed to throwing himself over backwards, if you got angry, he'd beat you with his size & propel you into next week. We taught him to disengage his hindquarters, & asked for that as soon as we felt any tension (they can't go up with the hindquarters disengaged). Any nonsense & we'd be doing turns on the forehand ... we'd then give him a few seconds to think about it, & then ask to move forward calmly. Took a few sessions & consistency but he soon realised it was easier just to walk on & behave. No yelling, no stress, no bit, no fights ... just consequences.

Visit site
Throw it on the walker, close your eyes and ears and walk away 😂😂

We dont do any in-hand walking really unless it is a short term muscle injury. Its just straight on the walker and ignore it for 5mins. Only certain people are allowed to deal with those horses though who can get them too and from the walker with no issues rather than letting any tom dick or harry try to do it.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Doesn’t do it ridden so not as dangerous.
Still managed to break my finger last winter I think I was lucky that was all I injured in honesty

Some youngsters can be quite naughty like that - this was my worst - he LOVED rearing even when loose. Hewas a BIG, young colt with the manners of a wart-hog. I started making ME the only one who led him, led him in a chifney with a 3' length of blue pipe in my left hand. When he reared, he got a solid whack above the knees - one was enough. Within two weeks, he stopped trying that although I carried the pipe for another month and started allowing staff to lead him - with the pipe. He DID rear again a few times the first time I took him hunting - 7 then, not long gelded - and he liked a good view oer hedges while on covert duty, lol. But perfectly balanced. He didn't do it again after that.Rambo-loose-rear.jpg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Some youngsters can be quite naughty like that - this was my worst - he LOVED rearing even when loose. Hewas a BIG, young colt with the manners of a wart-hog. I started making ME the only one who led him, led him in a chifney with a 3' length of blue pipe in my left hand. When he reared, he got a solid whack above the knees - one was enough. Within two weeks, he stopped trying that although I carried the pipe for another month and started allowing staff to lead him - with the pipe. He DID rear again a few times the first time I took him hunting - 7 then, not long gelded - and he liked a good view oer hedges while on covert duty, lol. But perfectly balanced. He didn't do it again after that.View attachment 29198
He’s beautiful! And that’s an amazingly timed photograph.
Wonder if a whip would work used the same way?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Throw it on the walker, close your eyes and ears and walk away 😂😂

We dont do any in-hand walking really unless it is a short term muscle injury. Its just straight on the walker and ignore it for 5mins. Only certain people are allowed to deal with those horses though who can get them too and from the walker with no issues rather than letting any tom dick or harry try to do it.
This is only going to and from the walker 😩😂 he’s actually worse coming back aswell for some reason