The Biomechanics of horses at Badminton XC

JustKickOn

Visit site
I'm sure many of you will have seen this video, but thought I would share it.
It's really interesting to see the movement of the limbs and muscles on the approach and over the fences. The stresses their joints, tendons and ligaments etc go through must be enormous!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Qz_pt4nsk

Hope some of you find it interesting!

dixie

Visit site
Fascinating, thanks.
Good to see the fences at different angles too, some of them look much harder and bigger than seen from other angles.

dieseldog

Visit site
Watch it again and just look at the riders - really interesting. Think it shows how much movement they have in the saddle and maybe amateur riders are a lot harder on themselves than they should be. No one is perfect.

alfirules

Visit site
Wow, love this! I didn't go on XC day this year and only watched on TV, but this shows the XC in so much more detail.

Those horses are so intelligent as much as anything, to clock on to where they have to go and what they have to jump, the angles and approaches to those fences are incredibly difficult.

Really interesting to watch, thanks for sharing the link!

Also, shows you definitely don't want to be without the leg grease over those sorts of fences, certainly helped the horses glide over a couple of those!

Last edited:

rara007

Visit site
Agree with DD!
And the movement of the saddles over the horses backs too.

Last edited:

JustKickOn

Visit site
A girl at college posted it to Facebook and I thinks she works part time for Russell on the yard.
I keep watching it and it becomes more fascinating and riveting each time.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Fabulous to watch and such a lot to be learnt from it.

We had a few lessons with Russell and an assessment of the horse two years ago, well worth it and much learnt.

My horse is career endingly injured and watching the video made me realise how much pressure the limb structure absorbs and how important the appropriate ground conditions are.

Alyth

Visit site
The best video since the from Badders in Princess Annes time!! That angle one coming out of the water is brilliant!! I will use up all my broadband allowance watching this!!

Angua2

Visit site
WOW just watching that and some things that I learnt watching the documentary on the grand national horses makes me wonder how event horses manage to build up the energy in the hind quarters to get over some of those.

Fasinating

AdorableAlice

Visit site
WOW just watching that and some things that I learnt watching the documentary on the grand national horses makes me wonder how event horses manage to build up the energy in the hind quarters to get over some of those.

Exactly my thoughts and made me realise the immense forces that must have been involved when the lad blew a hole in his hind check.

hnmisty

Visit site
Shows how clever they are with their feet as well.

I was expecting half of those horses to stop in slow mo...and over they went.

crystalclear

Visit site
I really enjoyed watching that - thank you. I found the footwork especially intricate when they jumped the log with the down hill landing!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
I really enjoyed watching that - thank you. I found the footwork especially intricate when they jumped the log with the down hill landing!

Yeah I agree the downhill stuff was amazing to watch. You can almost see the horses thinking 'oh hang on I'll put in a short one'.

Ive seen that Russel is holding a biomechanics course in the summer using this footage and the stuff from london 2012 too. Might be worth a look.

JFTDWS

Visit site
That was so interesting, it's given me a headache. I must watch it again and pay slightly less attention :eek:

(not used to thinking so hard anymore apparently :p )

nic85

Visit site
That was amazing.

I cringed when a few of them hit their legs on the jumps though and also clicked my tongue and rode the fences to make sure they got over lol!

Its amazing to see what their legs have to cope with, it also goes to show how proper fittening work really helps strengthen their legs.

Brilliant. :D

coffeeandabagel

Visit site
Amazing, thanks for posting. Its even more interesting if they arent set up perfectly for the fence - how they use themselves to get out of trouble, the grey at the lake was brilliant.