The Boy

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Just sharing some pics of me and the boy as these are the first ones I've had taken of me on board since I bought him just over 2 months ago - we are still getting use to each other and he is still getting use to having fuel on board (after dental probs) and is enjoying trying it on with me at the moment (and I seemed to have turned into a big wimp) But he is lovely and I think this time next year we will be having lots of fun. Please god no comments about the Pelham and roundings!! His back end needs building up as he has no muscle but he is still very handsome and is showing off his new boots and hi viz :)

Apologies if they come out mahoosive

545489_10151415987068974_930130933_n.jpg

575024_10151415987183974_848792225_n.jpg

45066_10151415987323974_1123427456_n.jpg

Elsiecat

Visit site
What a gorgeous boy! I love his colourings! Never seen a horse quite like that!

No reason not to ride in a pelham, my girl goes well in one also. Do what works for you both, no one else :)

TheoryX1

Visit site
He is very handsome and I love his colouring. Why on earth do people go on about pelhams with D rings on them? If it suits you then fine, its nobody elses business. I use them when I cannot be arsed to ride in double reins. Even at nearly 20 my cob is bloody strong, and I feel a lot safer knowing I can stop.

CBFan

Visit site
He looks a lovely boy! Very nice colouring!

How old is he? What sort of problems are you having?

I hope you don't mind me saying but your saddle appears to be tipping you backwards which may be causing him pain or discomfort and may be causing / not helping your problems...

Jill Crewe

Visit site
He looks a lovely boy! Very nice colouring!

How old is he? What sort of problems are you having?

I hope you don't mind me saying but your saddle appears to be tipping you backwards which may be causing him pain or discomfort and may be causing / not helping your problems...

He is 11, when I got him he bad dental problems and was quidding all his hay. So he was/is generally weak.

Problems generally with hacking out in a group/other horses passing him, but the problems are manifesting in bucking...thanks for the comment about the saddle - I was unsure whether it was the best fit for him - but because he is slightly under developed and will be filling out over the next couple of months then it will change. I will get a master saddler out at beginning of January - I welcome any advice you can give me though. Also worried about cost of getting new saddle sorted but obviously it is very important.

**Vanner**

Visit site
He's a. Lovely chap - he will be stunning when he's muscled up!

I love Pelhams as a little extra help for those of us with strong uns but I also agree with the above about the saddle. It needs a back riser at least.

CobsGalore

Visit site
He is rather handsome :)

I was going to mention the saddle too, but CBFan has beat me to it. Maybe you could get one with an adjustable gullet so you can change it as he fills out?

Jill Crewe

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the nice comments :)

I also agree with the above about the saddle. It needs a back riser at least.

I must say I don't like the saddle - it doesn't feel comfortable for me either. Will make this my next thing to sort out then now that teeth are sorted. Never simple is it ;) Thanks for the advice - saddle fitting isn't something I've had chance to learn about so I take your comments on board and will get on the case.

ISHmad

Visit site
You've chosen a very handsome horse there, shall look forward to your future photos. See if you can find a saddler who can bring lots of different saddles to try on him, so you can see not only what fits him but what feels comfortable to you as well. Don't let them fit too narrow a saddle as he needs to muscle up and not be constricted in his spine.

Jill Crewe

Visit site
You've chosen a very handsome horse there, shall look forward to your future photos. See if you can find a saddler who can bring lots of different saddles to try on him, so you can see not only what fits him but what feels comfortable to you as well. Don't let them fit too narrow a saddle as he needs to muscle up and not be constricted in his spine.

Thanks, we have a very highly recommended saddler nearby (Nathaniel Underwood), better start re-jigging my finances spread sheet around again! :D

widget

Visit site
Your prob best getting a nice second hand one with adjustable gullet doesn't have to cost a fortune and you can sell yours to help pay for it too. I know what it's like when all bills come at once!

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
He is lovely !!! :D To help him bulk up, lots of ad-lib hay should do the trick - has really worked with my lad this winter. Or if his teeth are still tender, Fast Fibre is really good too. x

Mince Pie

Visit site
Lovely pony, has a lot of muscling up to do! With the saddle I wonder if it isn't a bit too far forward as well, which won't help with the tipping :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
re the saddle, it looks like he's going to be changing shape for a while - it may be worth trying a treeless until he "settles into himself " ?

ladyt25

Visit site
very sweet - he'll be lovely once he's fittened up and filled out a little bit. As for the saddle, I would suggest going for something wider than you need. I got a Kent & Masters for my horse after I'd had his saddle years and it really was a bit knackered and wasn't fitting properly.

I was advised to get something wider, not something that 'fit' and then pad it out - you can then change the padding as they fill out. The K&M also has an adjustable gullet so you can change sizes that way. Another plus with them (and presumably the cheaper synthetic Thorowgood saddle) is the gullet is wide all the way down. My chiro thinks they are great because of that. Some saddles the gullet narrows towards the back (daft really) and hence can cause pressure on the spine, especially in horse who are a bit broader in their backs.

I found the K&M very reasonable brand new as well as £700 approx. 2nd hand will be considerably cheaper and the synthetic saddle you can get for about £200 2nd hand. Invest in a prolite or gelite pad where you can move the inserts to adjust where you have the padding.

Jill Crewe

Visit site
He is lovely !!! :D To help him bulk up, lots of ad-lib hay should do the trick - has really worked with my lad this winter. Or if his teeth are still tender, Fast Fibre is really good too. x

Thanks, teeth are all good now - such a relief to see him empty a haynet! My OH bought me a hay bar for Christmas which is on it's way so the boy can stuff himself :D

Lovely pony, has a lot of muscling up to do! With the saddle I wonder if it isn't a bit too far forward as well, which won't help with the tipping :)

Wish I could ride him more to get him built up but hard with work and winter routine - lots of hills round us though so I'm looking forward to comparing before and after photos in Spring. Will take more notice of what I'm doing with saddle, bloody silly of me if it is too far back!

Nasty, send him to me immediately so you don't have to look at him anymore lol. What a lovely looking ponio!

:D:D Thanks for your very noble offer....it does hurt to look at him some times...but I will soldier on and just put a bag over his head if it gets too painful ;)

what a lovely boy, he has that rare happy honest look in his eyes that i love

Ahh thanks,yes he does and he's a very friendly boy. Always comes bounding down the field to be caught! :D