The Champions Tour

Nats_uk

Visit site
I know this isn't a real "competition" thread but I saw a thread in here a while ago dismissing this demo/show and I just wanted to say I had a great time.

The show started off with Geoff on a 4 year old (Hayley as in Roy and Hayley from Coronation Street!!!) and Oli on a 5 year old and they discussed the basics of getting horses to soften by themselves and the need for rhythm and balance in all things. Geoff said (and Oli agreed) you shouldn't be looking for a stride to a jump, just get the horse there in a rhythmic, balanced, bouncy canter.
After some singing from Dave Clough and some vaulting from the Jive Ponys (both very good) the show got back underway after the interval with Oli doing some dressage on Neo Du Breuil (lovely grey - missed last season as accident on road) and then he came back out with Gorsehill Star and Geoff on Apollo Star (his new potential Grand Prix horse). The jumps went on and after a warm up and Geoff trying to scare Oliver "the nancy eventer" with big "proper showjumps" (all tongue in cheek!!) they did a course - both ended on 4 faults but Oli won as he jumped the stage in the middle!!!

I have to say I thought it was excellent - the banter between the two was amazing, the audience was nearly always in stitches and they put on a fun and informative show. I have to say the ending with Oliver was brilliant (but won't say what happened for those that are going). It wasn't the most educational demo I have seen but then it was never advertised as that.

Oh and I got to meet them both and get their autographs in the interval and I have to say Oli is lovely ;) :D

Photos --

Neo Du Breuil:
2011-01-24214611.jpg

2011-01-24214431.jpg

2011-01-24214447.jpg

2011-01-24214844.jpg

Last edited:

mrussell

Visit site
I saw it back end of last year and it was, TBH, pretty dull. It was just Geoff and Oli sodding about, trying to grab a pint from a jump wing... or pretending to take the mick out of dressage riders.

Sounds like it might have improved....

pinktiger

Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it im goin to see it on friday so will be able to see it first hand!!! I think im going mostly to be entertained and maybe pick up a thing or two would be great!!!

smurf

Visit site
I went to the first show of this series at Gleneagles and it was terrible. Perhaps they have listened to the feedback and improved it?

smiffyimp

Visit site
I saw it back end of last year and it was, TBH, pretty dull. It was just Geoff and Oli sodding about, trying to grab a pint from a jump wing... or pretending to take the mick out of dressage riders.

Sounds like it might have improved....

and Oli's dressage is pants!

josaffie

New User
Visit site
Hi Wanted to reply went to champions tour last year and it was brill so i went back this year and was even better. It was both entertaining and informative and noway dull!!! Hope they do another one next year it was just fantastic best i;ve ever seen!!!:D:p::)

soulfull

Visit site
Thinking of going on Sunday. do you get to ask questions?

Looks like fun and I think our yard needs the support as I believe not that many tickets have been sold (by yard anyway) I worry if we don't support things like this then in future they won't come!

Annieroo12

Visit site
i went to see the champions tour the other night. i very much enjoyed myself. i feel that they kept it entertaining and fun for all as well as giving tips and useful points.

i would like to marry oli!!!! :)

Piglet

Visit site
I went to see the tour on Thursday night and thoght it was BRILLIANT :D Geoff goofing around was so funny - he is definitely the saving grace of the evening but then I remember him in fancy dress with Skelly etc at Olympia and even then he was a comedian - well worth going :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I went to see it last night and I am really cross that I spent the money on that instead of the Funnell one as had the choice. I just felt it was based at the lowest common denominator and every time something vaguely interesting was being explained then it was cut into with a rubbish joke and it was stopped. I felt aggrieved that the intervals were so long before starting at the half way point purely to make money with photos as it was freezing last night and did not see the point of the karaoke singer who basically sang covers. I probably sound really miserable about it but having seen Tim Stockdale and Chris Bartle where it was very interesting and little useful snippets could be gleaned then there was no comparison.

TheMule

Visit site
I went last night and was disappointed. It didnt really hang together- some random singer, a video of clips I could watch myself (in the warm!) on youtube,a bizarre opening performance which didnt seem to have any point, I didnt find the demos useful or informative- could hardly make out what Geoff was saying, Oli occaisionally started to say something interesting but got cut off with Geoff's 'jokes'.
It was also freezing cold and hard to see much.
Just glad I didnt have to pay for my own ticket!!

SpottedCat

Visit site
I was there last night and TBH it was pretty naff! I summed it up today when someone asked me what I thought by saying that I thought their 10yo daughter would probably have had a great time...

It certainly wasn't what I'd class as a 'lecture-demo' - we had a bit of a giggle about it at the yard today as a couple of other friends had gone too and snuck out early as they were bored and freezing! It's a very clever money-making/marketing/self-promotion exercise though, and no doubt will continue to run and be popular - just don't go expecting to learn anything beyond the very very basics.

WandaMare

Visit site
I went last night and had a great evening......I wasn't expecting a full on educational evening, just a bit of fun and a good laugh, which is exactly how it turned out. There was a good atmosphere, it was nice to see and hear about the horses being trained and I thought the banter between Geoff and Oliver was really entertaining. There were 20 of us in our group and we all really enjoyed ourselves and agreed afterwards it was good value. The only thing which spoilt the evening for me was that it was sooo cold but I guess thats what you get if you go to a horse demo in january. Would definitely go again next year.

pinktiger

Visit site
i went last night too, didnt go with great expectations of learning too much, from what i had heard it was more entertainment value, and we deffo had a laugh and a giggle and a gawp at the lovely lovely horse flesh, laughed in the right place and 'ahhhhhh'ed' in the right places ect!!! I do agree with whomever said about it not flowing it needs to be a bit smoother and it was a bit random, a guy singing in the middle and then a girl vaulting on her fab well trained pony< bit odd> ANNNNDDDDD!"!!!!!! MY god it was cold and why the heck couldnt the heating go on for just a min????? Bonus tho last night, anyone spot the special guest????????

rocky123

Visit site
I went to see it as a night out after seeing oli do a lecture demo last year which was brilliant... i thought the champions tour was brilliant learnt a few useful tips and had a good laugh would go and see it again if they do it next year!!!!!