The culmination of 6 years work - thrilled!

measles

Visit site
Just over 6 years ago A's new 13.2hh JA pony, bought with almost our last penny, pulled a check ligament just after we bought her and we have never gone through such disappointment and upset. I still can't listen to Tom Jones and Chicane's "Stoned In Love" that was on my phone at the time without breaking down as I listened to it endlessly sitting on a crate hosing her leg. We did everything possible to care for the injury and she did come back to jump with A at the end of the following year but by that point although only 12yo A was too big to continue jumping her:

PollyRHSQual08Combi_zpsd9045449.jpg

The day Polly's leg was scanned at the vet hospital and the extent of the damage revealed I made the spur of the moment decision to have the wonderful Matt Hanks who just happened to have a free 15mins scan her with a view to putting her in foal. His advice was to go ahead if we wanted but at 16yo she might not take for a first foal and it was June already so we only realistically had one season. We had a huge family discussion that evening and booked her to Tiny Tim X, the prolific 35yo 12.2hh JA pony stallion who had won everything and I jumped against as a child. Against all the odds Polly took and in 2007, on her own birthday, she had Poppy, born to parents with a combined age of 51yo

000_0685_zpsf074982a.jpg

Fast forward to today and Poppy went to her first jumping show and only second ever time ridden away from home. B was 3yo when she was born and they have grown up together so to see them together was a very special moment. Perhaps it has been her handling - as it certainly isn't from experience - but she behaved impeccably, accepting the other horses and ponies and Rowallan's dressed and colourful main arena. Jumping clear in each of her rounds, albeit over tiny fences, was fantastic but nothing could top just how easy and good, and happy she was :) B and she are almost like brother and sister in a sort of way.

201209230916561_zps1b9e630e.jpg

In time I hope that she overcomes her fear of rosettes :D

201209230927205_zps87b1b6f6.jpg

Polly is an older lady now but has a home with us for the rest of her days. She still has a glint in her eye and pricks her ears, straining over the stable door when the travel boots come out, so perhaps B will do a little, just the amount she is happy with, when he is bigger. If not, that doesn't matter as she has given us such a wonderful journey. Good things do come from those sad, despairing moments.

Cazzah

Visit site
What a lovely story and a great start to their 'career' together! They make a fab pair and she is very nice. Fingers crossed with breeding like that they will go on to great things together! :D

_EVS_

Visit site
This has made me tingle! All the best to little Poppy and B and I look forward to lots more reports as they grow together! Good things can come out of bad xxx

Vetwrap

Visit site
You must all be so proud of B and Poppy. It doesn't all happen by accident though, so is testament to everything that you all put in.

Well done to all of you!

Lovely photos, btw.

Little Nell

Visit site
Awww Just lovely. She looks very like her mum but with Timmy's white face. I've always been a huge Timmy fan and its great to see his youngsters out and about. What a special lil lady she is. If she has only 1/4 of the talent her daddy had you've got a cracker. Hope you don't mind, i shall pass this onto my friend who used to own him, jeez nearly 30 years ago. I'm away to look out old 12.2 pics now and reminisce:D

Last edited:

measles

Visit site
Awww Just lovely. She looks very like her mum but with Timmy's white face. I've always been a huge Timmy fan and its great to see his youngsters out and about. What a special lil lady she is. If she has only 1/4 of the talent her daddy had you've got a cracker. Hope you don't mind, i shall pass this onto my friend who used to own him, jeez nearly 30 years ago. I'm away to look out old 12.2 pics now and reminisce:D

She has his markings down to the socks - we have a photo of him on our yard noticeboard and he really stamped her. Mum is a forrest bred New Forrest and has slightly high knee action which Poppy has inherited a little but looks wise she is definitely a Tiny Tim offspring!

Happy to pass on the pic - I have loads more and must know your friend (and you?!) from the "olden days" :D

georgiegirl

Visit site
gorgeous post measles - I bet it was an emotional day for you all to get to that stage!

I really look forward to seeing how they progress together :)

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Not fair, that story has brought a tear to my eye, I am getting very sentimental in my old age:eek:

Lovely story B and Poppy look a perfect team, looks like B is following in big brother foot steps:)

measles

Visit site
What a special day for you. It's true these moments make the rough times worth it. Good luck I'm sure there are more days like this ahead :)

Thanks, EventingMum. Anything at all she achieves is a bonus and a pleasure so there is absolutely no pressure as happy days out are enough. I am usually the most competitive person but with her I feel spending time with her is enough.. Partly sentimental - like alwaysbroke must be my old age ;)