The Definitive Best 2nd hand 4x4 to tow a trailer

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
We've decided the wagon has to go - we're just not using it enough at the moment to justify keeping it - so we've decided (despite my trailer phobia!) to sell it and get a big 4x4 and trailer instead.

We don't want to spend much as we both already have cars so the big 4x4 will be used only for towing (short local trips only as any long journeys we will just hire a box) and the odd trip to the feed merchants. I already have a 4x4 (Subaru Forester) but it isn't up to the weight of towing what we need (two horses... one 16.2hh and one 14.2hh).

We've set our budget at a lowly £2.5K. On our list of possibilities are Discos/RRs/Landcruisers - all of the fairly ancient variety.

But what would you guys recommend?

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Of the three I 'd go for a land cruiser, esp with the budget.

Obviously with all the money in the world...I'd go for a RR!

smile.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Dhiatshu Fourtrack!!Will meet your budget and 3500kg towing capacity...do a google on it and a search on here and you will see how everyone raves about these cars for towing!

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
We really don't mind what make - just want to get whatever will do the best job for the money.

Fourtraks are therefore a definite possibility, though not a make of car I have any experience of...

Is there a particular model/engine size of Fourtrak I should be looking for?

L

lilym

if you can find one a diahatsu fourtrack, not luxury but tows like a train!

SusanFlynn

Visit site
I love my pajero and they come at great price and so well loaded up as well. 2.8 TD LWB and tows 3.5.. auto which makes it easy peasy to tow and reverse. I also run it on part cooking oil..look at Pajero forum for good advice and they also run section on cooking oil. it isnt new idea to do and they run well and better and far lower emissions. Some fuel stations sell the bio diesel as well at pumps.

Sooty

Visit site
I like Land Rovers for a lot of reasons, but mainly because they are permanent four wheel drive. Many others are only usable in rear wheel drive on roads, and in the wet or on ice can be a bit skittish. Also, Landy parts are cheap.

SpruceRI

Visit site
I've got a Fourtrak and love it. It's a 2.8 TD. It's got loads of boot space and is a tough motor. Not top on the list for comfort, drives a bit like a Land Rover, but I know I can put just about anything in my trailer and the car can legally pull it. Also, someone in a 4WD truck crashed into the back of it recently. Their car was seriously crunched. Mine - just pushed the grill protecting the back lights and squashed the spare wheel - no damage to it though!

clipclop

Visit site
Love my Landy
grin.gif

On number two now, but my original is still going strong.

The one I have now is reasonably new but has mega mileage and still drives beautifully.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I've had Land Rover but for build quality plus pulling power go for Mitsubishi, Shogun or Pajero it matters little. They're comfortable, powerful & will tow a trailer & 2 large horses all day.

The downside, as with alot of big 4x4s is that specially when towing they are pretty thirsty. There is no cheap way of transporting your horse around, lorries & 4x4 are expensive.
frown.gif

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Fourtraks - you can't beat them!! Easy to drive, will pull a house, not top of the plush stakes but a brilliant workhorse that won't let you down. We went all the way to Anglesey and back,(100 miles plus, up and down some serious hills) empty one way, brood mare on the way back and only used a tankful so nowhere near as thirsty as some of the others either. We're on our second and would have another any day.

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Jeep cherokee Sport 2.5ltr petrol.
Brilliant tow vehicles!!!!
I just happen to know where there is a very nice example. Only done 95k for sale well below your budget.!

filly190

Visit site
I bought a four track and it tows 3.5 ton easily, can hardly feel my ifor and two 17hh horses. I paid £4k for it and have never looked back. They are built like a defender and are a little rural, no posh extras, but I swear by it.

zulu705

Visit site
Isuzu Trooper LWB 3.1 TD
I've had two of these, frist one was a F reg petrol one, towed great but ate fuel. Second one was an N reg SWB diesel. Towed just as well but really annoying with only 3 doors. LWB is best. Don't get a 3.0 diesel as apparently they have engine problems.

Chex

Visit site
I recommend a trooper 3.1 too. We have a SWB, just as a towing car really. Its an R reg and still goes fine. Never had any probs towing two fat horses with it!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
my parents have the Isuzu, we are onto our 2nd one as we have driven the first one into the ground, it is an N reg 3.1 disel that has towed 2 16hhs, from home to school (230miles) every 6 weeks with no problem, this included all their tack etc in the trailer too.
we have just got a new W reg isuzu which is going to be used from now on to tow