The Dizzy Blonde - Rest in Peace my Beautiful Girl

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Today my beautiful nine year old Dutch Warmblood mare Dizzy was put to sleep.

We made the decision on Thursday, when another bout of lameness had been going on for nearly two weeks. My vet, who attended Dizz in the four years and four months that I'd had her, said it was the worse she'd ever seen her.

Dizzy had bony irregularities on her pelvis, which came to light ten days after I'd bought her. There was secondary damage to her rear suspensory ligaments. Last year bilateral bone spavin was added to the list.

She's been to Rossdales, and the Animal Health Trust. The first said retire her, the second said see how it goes.

We kept on trying. She had physios, Bowen Therapist, massage, back people. Always had the saddle fitter out, at one stage on a fortnightly basis . The dentist every six months. Tried her shod and unshod.

I'd been working her to try and get enough muscle to help hold her together, but I'd put on weight due to a damaged knee and achilles so stopped riding last September. Vet and saddler said I was okay, but I didn't want to risk it. She'd already gone lame again, quite badly, and we suspected her SI. We thought the hilly terrain was a contributory factor, so moved to a yard with flat fields and hacking, and where she could be out 24/7 as she'd sieze up if stabled too long.

In the last six months she's been lame four times, including this bout. It seemed that in work or out of it made no difference to the lameness. We believe all the issues stemmed fron the damaged pelvis and there was no way to treat it, we couldn't fix her or even make her comfortable; the pain was making her grumpy, with some days worse than others.

Today my lovely friends who love the horse rallied round. Alwaysbroke came to the yard and stayed with us, for which we are all very thankful. My lovely vet, Lizzie Allen, ensured she could be the one and was so kind, I can only apologise for breaking down. The chap who took the Dizz away was quiet, respectful and patient, he has my eternal thanks. My family were, as ever, my rock.

We took each horse up to say goodbye. LC was quiet and just dropped his head to her, then turned away. Grey Mare was very upset, so D1 walked her around and away. Titch was heartbreaking. He didn't understand why Dizz didn't get up, nibbled on her lips and pushed her with his muzzle.

I can't believe she's gone. I've known for a long time that this was coming one day, I just didn't ever believe the day would arrive. There are some sad memories for sure, but there are so very many happy ones. She was calld the Dizzy Blonde as she used to spin and make me dizzy. She hated standing still. Loved hacking out and being nosey, with a stride that just ate up the ground. Jumping was exciting, but we had to stop as it wasn't doing her any good, though in my blind ignorance I'd hoped to get her fit and muscled enough to try again one day. We managed a couple of dressage tests at Eland, which was lovely, and three camps there, one with D1 (when I'd broken my back) and twice with me, which was an absolute hoot. She had an inordinate love of Polos and hated biscuits. She'd give me her last ounce of strength and I've given her mine.

Dizz was brave and strong and loving. She taught me a lot and made me smile.

I miss her.

Last edited:

Mrs B

Visit site
Oh My! I am sorry, Mrs M ...

Sending gentle hugs to you and wishing your lovely mare Godspeed to her rest.

Mrs B x

Fools Motto

Visit site
OMG. I am so sorry for your loss. She was indeed a beauty, and will be sorely missed by all who knew her, and all here who read about her too, myself included.
May she be running around, pain free and looking down upon is, no doubt thanking you for the last act of kindness.

RIP Dizzy.

Many hugs to you and your family.

lea840

Visit site
How heart breaking for you... Dizzy sounded like a character who was very much loved. How lovely of you to allow her friends to say good bye to her. Rest in peace and run free girl...

Red30563

Visit site
So very sorry for your loss, MrsM. You did your very best for her all the way through - right up to the final act of kindness.

RIP beautiful Dizzy. xxx

babymare

Visit site
Hugs to you and your family. what a lucky horse to have such a loving caring mum. look to the stars at night and she will be watching over you RIP Dizzy x x

teresagarsden

Visit site
I have followed your posts for many years now and I have always had a special soft spot for Dizzy.

RIP Dizzy Blonde... Mrs M you have completed the final kind act for her, my thoughts are with you.

Run pain free now Dizzy one.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Oh My! I am sorry, Mrs M ...

Sending gentle hugs to you and wishing your lovely mare Godspeed to her rest.

Mrs B x

Thank you hunny.

So sorry to hear this - you did your absolute best for her. Lots of hugs (((())))

Thank you. I just wish there was more.

Hugs to you. Rest in peace Dizzy

Thank you.

I hope you got my text back, i had such poor signal :(

Was thinking of you today hun and said a little pray for her xxxx

Run pain free beautiful horse

Thank you. Yes. Appreciated.

Oh mrs M I am so sorry to hear this
RIP Dizz
Sending lots of hugs to you all

Thank you.

So sorry MrsM:(

RIP Dizzy :( sleep well lovely girl

Thank you hunny.

OMG. I am so sorry for your loss. She was indeed a beauty, and will be sorely missed by all who knew her, and all here who read about her too, myself included.
May she be running around, pain free and looking down upon is, no doubt thanking you for the last act of kindness.

RIP Dizzy.

Many hugs to you and your family.

Everyone says thank you.

So sorry....big hugs xxxxxx :( :( :(

Thank you.

Sorry for your loss :(

((((((hugs))))))

Thank you.

How heart breaking for you... Dizzy sounded like a character who was very much loved. How lovely of you to allow her friends to say good bye to her. Rest in peace and run free girl...

She was indeed. Thank you.

I'm so sorry to hear this MrsM, no-one could ever have tried harder to fix Dizz than you did, she was lucky to have you. Rest peacefully Dizzy x

She had that effect. We just wanted to fix her. Thank you.

Thank you hunny.

So very sorry for your loss, MrsM. You did your very best for her all the way through - right up to the final act of kindness.

RIP beautiful Dizzy. xxx

Thank you. It's hard and it bl00dy hurts.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Oh heavens MrsM:(

You tried so hard for her, I'm sad it just couldn't be:( Remember the smiling times:)

RIP Dizzy