The equestrian new invention thread

TrasaM

Visit site
It's pouring rain.. It's cold and it's Sunday. So something I've been thinking about for a while but saving for a wet day :) so here goes.

If you could invent something..for the horse rider or generally associated with horses and riding what would it be.
Yes, I know that tack shops are full of things that owners are convinced they need but there must be other things that we've wished we could have.
Mine would be something that would protect my nether regions effectively .. I recently bought some boys pants for riding in and looking at the construction though that a sorbothane pad inserted in the doubled up fly part would be very effective. :D

Cowpony

Visit site
Straps to keep my lower leg and elbows in the right place, but which would of course be totally safe if I fell off.....

sandi_84

Visit site
I'd invent the vet-wrap gun! It's not for bandaging, oh no! It's for automatically wrapping someone's mouth (i.e yard beaches) or for tying the hands of someone who does something naughty in my presence such as feed my cob treats ;)

I reckon the collective minds of HHO could come up with a winning product or two, make them into the equestrian equivilent of a swiss army knife and we could all be millionaires :D

Cowpony

Visit site
Oooh, how about a saddle with a Velcro seat, and jods with the other bit of the Velcro! You could do the same with the saddle flaps and inner legs of the jods and always have a perfect position. Would save on tack cleaning too.

Cowpony

Visit site
A carwash type installation for muddy horses, just send them through it and they walk out the other side totally clean.

Greylegs

Visit site
I think you might be mining a rich seam here ....

- Rubber banks to match rubber stable flooring to save having to bank up shavings
- Non-stick / Teflon feed buckets
- Flexible but indestructible feed buckets/trugs
- Waterproof coveralls for winter riding - like an all weather onsie / boiler suit
- Automatic water feeders that don't freeze up
- Some kind of mud repellent for tails, manes, feathers which works but which isn't greasy or oily
- Re-usable / washable bedding

.... I'm sure I'll think or more ....

Cowpony

Visit site
Plaiting bands that don't break.
Martingales that you don't have to have superhuman strength to pull through the rubber loop, and rubber loops that don't break.
Rosettes that don't send your horse mental by touching their ears.
Rosettes that don't fall off halfway round the victory lap.
Some sort of trolley that will carry poles and wings across a sand/rubber arena.
A device for putting poles back up without having to dismount.

be positive

Visit site
An automatic mucking out machine and yard sweeper.

You can get a yard sweeper but it may be cheaper to do it yourself unfortunately.

I went to a yard a few years ago where the owner had made a system for almost automatic mucking out but had failed to get further with developing and selling it. He had collection points in the corner of each box where you chucked the droppings and wet, when he turned on the power it went out through large tubes to a collection point, brilliant idea as so little work for the groom, he also had automatic hay feeders in the other corner so they could get hay at anytime he wanted, that went into a shute then was piped round to each box and dropped through into a haybar type thing in the corner. They all had waterers so the grooms had very few stable jobs to do.

be positive

Visit site
If this weather continues a cover to go over the whole yard, the fields and possibly the hacking route but I would make do with an indoor school that could be built for a minute budget.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Could you send him here when he has done your mucking out, happy to provide the tea and sarnies.

Nope !

He does have bad habits though ie,

Puts head collars on upside down, my horses have got to the stage they don't mind - even Ted !
Moans when I fail to pick feet out and go up the newly swept yard
Moans when agricultural cob does diy on the fencing
Moaned when the cat nicked his sausage sandwich - told him not to put it on the mounting block !
Refused point blank to go on the roof yesterday afternoon to repair the felt, ok it was hailing and blowing a gale but don't be a wimp.

and finally at the ball on Friday he scoffed everyone's left overs ! declaring I never feed him.

Boulty

Visit site
Well seeing as someone has already stolen my haynet filling device idea then I'd like something I can stick my horse's horrific muddy, awful legs in and have them come out totally clean and dry...

be positive

Visit site
Nope !

Puts head collars on upside down, my horses have got to the stage they don't mind - even Ted !
Moaned when the cat nicked his sausage sandwich - told him not to put it on the mounting block !
Refused point blank to go on the roof yesterday afternoon to repair the felt, ok it was hailing and blowing a gale but don't be a wimp.

and finally at the ball on Friday he scoffed everyone's left overs ! declaring I never feed him.

Have you tried using the blue pipe to teach him a few manners, it sounds as if you are too lenient and he is lacking respect, otherwise a carrot stick may work, restrict the tea and sarnies.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nope !

Hmm, does sound trainable, though? Sorry, cross posted!

Tobiano

Visit site
Anyone remember the 'buttoneer' from about 2 decades ago which was a little machine that apparently sewed buttons on to a garment with one click (as opposed to lots of fiddling with a needle).

I think we need the 'plaitaneer' for convenient show preparation :)

Also maybe a device that helps you keep a great position - like a satnav, could give you instructions like 'right heel down', 'left seat bone lighter' as you ride around. I'd give myself a couple of circuits before I started yelling back at it, but I still rather fancy the idea.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Self rolling bandages please! A device that picks put feet for me so I don't get back ache leaning down to do my 11.2hh pony's teeny feet (I'm nearly 5'9)

TandD

Visit site
Well after riding in the rain Friday evening and to keep my horse dry he had on 2 waterproof exersise sheets and I put a turnout rug hood on him attached to the saddle.... I think there is a gap in the market for an all in one waterproof riding rug!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
goggles with a 'light up runway' so you know if your going straight at a fence...bit like the helmets in start trek in to darkness
a handsfree phone built in to the riding helmet (for emergency calls only)

Greylegs

Visit site
Well after riding in the rain Friday evening and to keep my horse dry he had on 2 waterproof exersise sheets and I put a turnout rug hood on him attached to the saddle.... I think there is a gap in the market for an all in one waterproof riding rug!

We could team that up with my all in one waterproof Onsie. That would great....

blitznbobs

Visit site
A tempory arena umbrella that you can cover an arena with so it's temporarily indoor and you can put it down in the summer - and it would be non flap so not spooky...