The fattest pony I've ever seen

stormox

Visit site
I've seen overweight but this goes beyond that. It is the same sort of shape as a bison. It's a candidate for a welfare organisation but she wants nearly two thousand pounds for it. I'm simply incredulous.
I hope the buyer will be able to slim her down, at least it seems the seller realises theres a problem.
However I think its a bit unfair to pick out random ads (unless you are intending to buy) and just make comments.

Safi2

Visit site
The pressure on that poor ponies joints but he horrendous. Hopefully his new home will be successful in slimming her down

PapaverFollis

Visit site
If they were serious about getting it a new home for the sake of its health then they should be giving it away, preferably via a charity to ensure its future (with a donation to the charity to boot).

Letting a pony that will apparently stay behind electric fencing get that fat is pretty criminal and definitely cruel. Letting a pony that won't stay behind electric fencing get that fat is bad enough but when you HAVE got the means to control grass intake and still give it a bit of freedom... horrible. I hope the poor thing finds a good home because them asking for that amount of money is ridiculous.

gallopingby

Visit site
I sometimes wonder why some people have nothing better to do than comment on animals they can’t afford to buy or aren’t actually interested in buying? Back to the age old question of how much is it worth! The answer of course is as much as a genuinely interested buyer feels they should pay having viewed the animal and chatted to the owner. Not all horses are sold for the advertised price but hopefully a sensible ad keeps the time wasters away.

Smoky 2022

Visit site
People should really stop posting horse ads on this form . It’s really inappropriate and unfair on the owner of the horse. I am constantly seeing this type of post linking horse sale ads and people aren’t being nice it’s inappropriate. easy knowing these people are hiding behind a computer screen.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How much would it be worth if it wasn't obese?

I sold similar without the fat but same sex, colour, age, size and ability for £300 four years ago. I would not expect her to cost more than £1000 absolute tops in good condition, £500 looking like that, she's a walking time bomb right now.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
People should really stop posting horse ads on this form . It’s really inappropriate and unfair on the owner of the horse. I am constantly seeing this type of post linking horse sale ads and people aren’t being nice it’s inappropriate. easy knowing these people are hiding behind a computer screen.

As a seller of two horses in the last 12 months I accept that as soon as I've released photos and videos onto the Internet, it's no longer in my hands who comments on them.

There's no doubting that pony is a welfare case and if publicity like this brings it to people's attention how unacceptable it is and what the consequences might be if they let it happen to their pony, then I think that can only be a good thing for horses in general.

Hepsibah

Visit site
I am in the market for a little driving pony/companion at the moment and I'm more than able to pay for it. I'm just flabbergasted that this pony has been able to get this fat without dying and that the owner seems to think someone will pay well over the odds for the opportunity to rehabilitate it.

Snowfilly

Visit site
It’s a welfare case and could quite easily be reported as such. If someone was starving a horse, they’d quite rightly be dragged over the coals and people would have no issue sharing the pictures. This is abuse on the same scale, and will eventually kill the pony. I have no hesitation in seeing this ad shared as widely as possible, the seller deserves every negative or unpleasant comment they get, and should consider themselves lucky if they don’t get a WHS visit from it.

Palindrome

Visit site
It's a quality pony despite the weight. They need to put her in a grazing muzzle asap or a grasseless paddock with soaked hay.
I have seen ponies that fat in a field in the UK, they were cobs.

Fjord

Visit site
Thank you Widgeon. She's still cresty and I'm getting her tested for Cushings as she was borderline in the Autumn, but she's happy enough as long as I feed her! ?

Ycbm, even with prices so high at the moment I think this one is pushing it then! It's a shame, she sounds lovely, poor thing.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
Although clearly a welfare issue (and just as much of a welfare issue as a starved horse), I do feel a certain amount of empathy with the owner as it can be really difficult, if not impossible to manage the weight of a good doer.

Mine destroys muzzles if the grass is deemed too short & if you aren't in control of the field nanagement or aspects of their routine, it can be a really difficult line to keep them a reasonable weight, especially of there is a metabolic reason behind it.

That doesn't mean for a second I think it's ok to let the pony get so fat or that they should be advertising him for £2K.

Visit site
It's a quality pony despite the weight. They need to put her in a grazing muzzle asap or a grasseless paddock with soaked hay.
I have seen ponies that fat in a field in the UK, they were cobs.

No one that wants a proper show shetland will buy a chestnut with a substantial white blaze. And it needs a proper mane. It's debatable whether they hogged it or it has sweetitch.

Equi

Visit site
See i love a little fat to fit project. Its very overweight, but easily remedied with a little management. Ill fully admit one of mine has got a bit beyond what i like in weight mostly because as a stallion he always kept weight off, then when gelded just ballooned so it caught me off guard. He is now on soaked hay and muzzled, will be clipped and cold in winter so i fully expect him to be back to his "looks good" weight next year. These things can just creep up on you even if you are semi-aware.