The final decision - what do do after all is done?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Remember the good, remember he was a lucky horse to have you in his life, to care for him to ensure he did not suffer. You justify yourself to no one, ever, not even once and don't even think about doing it. Rise above any nastiness you are the better person.

Mrs B

Visit site
I am sorry you lost him but maybe his last gift to you is to show you 2 people in their true colours ... two people you need not give the time of day to anymore but concentrate on yourself and those who are worthy to be called friends.

Thinking of you.

frankster

Visit site
I should have explained, he was diagnosed with severe arthritic changes in all 4 legs and worse, had become wobbly behind and at risk of going down.

One 'lady' sent me a facebook message saying that she 'knew' that my vet had given me 'loads' of Danilon to help him so why 'kill him'. The other person was altogether poisonous and virtually tried to convince folk that a horse 'sent to the kennels' is literally set upon by hounds and eaten! I know she is stupid and foolish but the human brain conjures godawful images when one is sad....

tamsinkb

Visit site
I should have explained, he was diagnosed with severe arthritic changes in all 4 legs and worse, had become wobbly behind and at risk of going down.

One 'lady' sent me a facebook message saying that she 'knew' that my vet had given me 'loads' of Danilon to help him so why 'kill him'. The other person was altogether poisonous and virtually tried to convince folk that a horse 'sent to the kennels' is literally set upon by hounds and eaten! I know she is stupid and foolish but the human brain conjures godawful images when one is sad....

So sorry for your loss.

I work by the adage 'Quality of life is more important than quantity of life' - being buted up to the hilt isn't quality of life for the long term, especially in the cold, miserable weather we have this time of year. As for the kennels comment......some people are just eejits! You did the best possible for your horse.....nothing else to say - anyone who says differently isn't worthy of your time.
Txx

Britestar

Visit site

I said goodbye a horse on Monday that had become very wobbly behind. No amount of Danilon was going to help him. Shortly before he Vet arrived he went down and really struggled to get back up. It was distressing for him and us. If that was a danger for your horse, you absolutely did the right thing.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I had mine PTS a couple of months ago. I had 2 idiots who I thought were friends block and delete me on Facebook as "he was only young". He was, but it didnt matter how young he was, I couldnt fix him. I tried right up until the day I first saw him look miserable and fed up, then I called time.

Theres always some moron who thinks they know best. They are wrong. All I can say is your better off without them. Things will get better in time. I was absolutely heartbroken at first but it does get easier.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I don't know the background OP but as someone who said goodbye to their best friend last week my heart goes out to you.

It's still too soon for me to say it will get better as I'm still finding everything quite raw myself, but take comfort in knowing you did what was best for your horse and they're no longer in pain xx

pippixox

Visit site
It is hard to rise above them and ignore them but that is exactly what you must do.

My old boy was nearly PTS last year due to a brain cyst, but improved. However, he is increasingly stiff from his arthritis- holding out for spring as warmer temperature can help. But I think you made such a good decision. Quality of life is so important. I can't stand to see decrepid horses hobbling around in retirement

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Oh my goodness, ignore them, ignore them, ignore them!!! What absolute morons...

You 100% did the right thing for your boy, I'm so sorry for your loss, it's just the most awful thing to have to go through. Have a virtual hug .... :(

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Ignore the idiots...you did the right thing.
Have a drink or two, a hot bath and an early night...everything is a bit better the next day.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
I will always respect the person who makes a difficult decision and let's there horse goes. I will not respect people who allow their horse, or any animal suffer or passes on their problems. It's horrid , it's sad but it is the best we can do at the end for animals that we love.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site

Please ignore these horrid, spiteful, and woefully ignorant people.

You did the best thing you could ever do for your horse; he was your best friend, and you made the best possible choice that you could ever have done.

I feel outraged that fellow horse owners could ever treat anyone in such an awful situation, in this way.

We've all been through it unfortunately, it never gets any easier alas. But it IS the last, and most precious thing, we can do for our horses.

Am SO so sorry, sending big hugs. This is something I'm gonna have to face with one of mine later this year.......... :(

vmac66

Visit site
You did the best you could for your horse. My boy is currently going blind but is happy at the moment. The day he tells me he has had enough Will be the day I let him go. You don't need these negative people in your life, they are not worth your time xx

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I had a wobbler with a fragmented neck vertebrae put down and SusieT on this forum insisted I had him killed unnecessarily. You did the right thing. The kind thing for the horse. It will hurt less in time.

siennamiller

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear this. You did the right thing, it would have been very selfish of you to keep him going when he was suffering. You did the right thing for HIM. Sending you hugs. Xx

mytwofriends

Visit site
I had my gentle giant, my favourite horse in the world, PTS a couple of weeks ago.

Similar to yours, OP, he'd had arthritis and also had to be helped up several times during his final week. He wasn't showing distress, but I couldn't bear the thought that he might be found down one evening. I made the call. It has been gnawing at me ever since as he looked the healthiest he'd looked in months, cheeky, bright eyed and shiny. I still wonder if I did the right thing, but fortunately everyone I've spoken to says I did. Doesn't make it any easier, so for you to have bi*ches second guessing your decision must be horrific.

He was my last horse. I've had them for decades, and it's the end of an era. I'm lost. I find myself welling up in supermarkets - carrots, vegetable oil, sudocreme, sunny days, daffodils ....... It's so hard. I miss him so very much.

Just treasure your happy memories, OP, and realise you absolutely did the right thing. It's horrid, I know.

X

Micropony

Visit site

I would rather be your horse than theirs. You have shown compassion and done your horse the final kindness. They are just mean and spiteful and, if they would keep their horses soldiering on in pain because it made them feel better, they are not the kind of owners I would respect.

So sorry for your loss. Hope you are soon able to remember the good times and forget these idiots xxx

Amirah

Visit site
A life of pain is a miserable thing for an animal, they can't demand painkillers or tell themselves they'll get better like we can. So sorry that you've had mean people to deal with on top of your grief. Xxx

LD&S

Visit site
I had mine PTS a couple of months ago. I had 2 idiots who I thought were friends block and delete me on Facebook as "he was only young". He was, but it didnt matter how young he was, I couldnt fix him. I tried right up until the day I first saw him look miserable and fed up, then I called time.

Theres always some moron who thinks they know best. They are wrong. All I can say is your better off without them. Things will get better in time. I was absolutely heartbroken at first but it does get easier.

I shed a tear reading your post as I remember what you went through.

I am still amazed at how hateful people can be, not just towards people but the animals too, can a life full of pain and suffering really be justified just because the horse, dog etc can be doped to the eyeballs with no hope of recovery.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

Oh LeoWalker that's awful. I was so worried I'd face similar when it came to Pops, particularly as I'd got M a couple of months before. I had/have a massive guilt complex over feeling like I'd replaced her as it is (even though those that matter know I'd have happily kept her as a pet if I could!) so I half expected others to accuse me of giving up on her now I had M, which couldn't have been further from the truth.

I think people just find it hard to reconcile cutting short a young life...I mean death at any age isn't ever easy but it's harder when a decision is made based on quality of life and outwardly the horse still appears like any other youngster. Deep down I feel I probably left Pops a few weeks too long as by the time the day came to say goodbye the spark had gone, but even then she'd spent the day before frolicking in the sunshine and I imagine someone just seeing that as a snapshot in time might suggest she didn't need to be PTS.

LadySam

Visit site
Of course you did the right thing. I'm so sorry you have to deal with nasty imbeciles on top of everything else.

I think a partnership between a person and a horse can be a bit like a marriage sometimes, in that it's unknowable to anyone outside of it. Only you are able to make the right decision, whatever other people might think.

ozpoz

Visit site
So sorry for your loss.
If only all horse owners had to pass a test on understanding end of life for equines,then these ignorant people who have caused you distress would not be allowed to own a horse.
Causing further upset to the responsible owners who do their best for their horse at all times is indefensible.
I hope you take comfort in knowing you looked out for him when he needed you. x

frankster

Visit site
Almost a week later I do feel better about saying farewell to a loyal and brave friend who had hidden his pain and discomfort for quite some time I suspect. Like Leo Walker above I shall not forgot the unkind know it alls who wanted to make us all so much unhappier. I have never really believed in karma but I sincerely hope that it exists.

Everyone on here has been a tremendous help, knowing that there are people who understand is comforting.

paddi22

Visit site
you completely did the right thing, and if anyone had said half the stuff to me that they said to you, then i'd be limiting my interactions with them to a polite hello and that would be all. There are a percentage of people who just cannot comprehend death is natural and who believe in keeping animals going regardless of what pain or bad quality of life they have.

I can appreciate that is their viewpoint, but to express it unasked for to someone going through a difficult period is unforgivable in my eyes, and I wouldnt give them the time of day anymore to be honest

LadyLuck1977

Visit site
Sorry for your loss, there always seems to be an idiot or two who think they know what is best for your horse. I had this a couple of months ago when I had my mare PTS. It's hard enough having to make that decision without someone being horrid about it.

touchstone

Visit site
Definitely the right thing. I had my mare pts over a year ago, I had a nightmare the other night where I'd sold her to a home that was totally unsuitable, I managed to sneak in to see her and she was miserable with her head on the floor and saddle sores on her back. I shouted of her and she lifted her head and galloped over to me, at which point the new owner appeared and said that she never did that for them and I was desperately trying to gift them my saddle so that she wouldn't have sores, while planning how to steal her! .....The I woke up and the relief I felt when I remembered that she was dead! It sounds awful, but it really is the kindest ending for them when they are in pain and ill.