The final goodbye :(

sarahann1

Visit site
Said my final goodbye to my oldest lad today.

Went away on Friday for a long weekend, he was fine when I left, fine all weekend by all accounts, got to the yard on Monday to a hopping lame horse. First thought was abscess, but called vet anyway to double check, no obvious signs of trauma etc, but very sore. Vet had a good dig, nothing to find, other than pulses in all four feet pointing to laminitis. My vet reckons all factors considered, it was brought on by hormonal changes, possibly due to undiagnosed Cushings.

Smartie was in his 30s and whatever the cause, the prognosis of weeks, probably months of box rest to fix this, wasn't in my eyes fair to a field kept horse who didn't do at all well in.

Felt like the wicked witch this morning when I got to the yard as he whickered away at me. But he went well, with a belly full of food he'd normally never be allowed, and he went before he was depressed or unhappy.

I have no idea when this will seem real, despite holding him to the end, I looked for him in the field as I left this evening from seeing my other horses.

RIP old man, going to miss you.

Ceriann

Visit site
Very sorry for your loss. He was a fab age but appreciate it hurts no less due to this. He went with a belly full of tasty food, happy and with you by his side - cared for to the end.

Adopter

Visit site
Sorry to read of your loss. When the shock of this happening so quickly fades, I hope your happy memories and the knowledge that his end was peaceful will be a comfort for you.

It is never easy whatever the circumstances.

mytwofriends

Visit site
You did the right thing for Smartie OP. Remember that. He's pain free now and he reached an incredible age.

Hugs to you, and treasure your fond memories of your time with him.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Heartbreaking for you but the right thing for him... I feel for you!

I read somewhere this week about a guy having to have his rabbit pts as a boy and his mum telling him that it was better to do it while the rabbit still had good memories of life...
It really struck a chord with me as I'm facing the same decision if my laminitic pony has another episode when she's reintroduced to grass....and her very old, poorly sighted friend will go with her as she's his best friend & I do t think he'd cope without her....

3OldPonies

Visit site
So sorry you've lost a dear old friend. You did the right thing and at least you can console yourself with that thought. Cushings is a real b*gger of a disease. Sending big hugs.

SnowandSunshine

Visit site
So very sorry. You will look back and know it was the best thing to do before he got miserable. I have to face this soon and hope I can be as brave. xx

Sarah_K

Visit site
Condolences, never easy to make the decision but be happy that he was happy and healthy almost to the end.