The ginger one is back at stud...

Gingernags

Visit site
Definitely no foal, but as I said before, was expecting it and today was just the 5% chance that we scanned too early...

Everyone (or nearly everyone) that has jabbed with prostaglandin has said they have had a quick season and possibly early ovulation and missed them but caught them on the next natural season. I'm gathering that if you do jab them and you haven't scanned and checked the follicle size, thats what causes the problem as either you have a season but there is no follicle mature enough or they ovulate early.

Anyway from the scan yesterday, she has some smaller follicles on her right ovary, but the biggest about 15mm whereas they get to about 35mm when they ovulate ( I love talking to vets!!), but on her left she has one at abut 25mm. Vet goes with my estimate plus 2 days so he thinks she'll come into season at the weekend (my figures thought today).

So we took her straight back to the stud and the little minx has been bouncing up and down chatting and squealing to a mare and foal in the paddock next door, and looks happy to be back there! We've agreed that when she comes back into season, she will be covered on days 3 and 5 (Not 1, 3 and 5) and the vet doesn't think she'll tear again as its not that common anyway, and she has healed fine, but if she does, to just pop in for some more antibiotics and he'll check her out.

They all love her at the vets, our vet was out on a call when we got there so we were sat (me and evil sister) on the step to the offices/small animal surgery, in the sunshine, with Asti being all cute and pestering the staff and clients by being extra friendly and basking in the sun and attention.

That mare is such a diva but in such a nice way!

Got some nice piccies which I'll upload and put on later... spotty stallion and their baby Hanoverian stallion who is sooooo gorgeous I'd almost change my mind but he's only 3 and not really fertility tested yet, waiting for one of their quietest mares to come back in season to try him with.

sallyf

Visit site
Hate to say it but what were they doing covering on day one.
The cervix will barely have relaxed and mare might be showing but wouldnt as receptive.
IMHO that is asking to damage the mare.
Sorry not meaning to be harsh but we have stallions and wouldnt even consider it.

Gingernags

Visit site
I did wonder, but they have a mare that has only one day that she will show and stand, and as it took 3 weeks to get anything from Asti, as she's normally very silent in her seasons, I guess they weren't risking missing her on that one day. She was behaving exactly the way their mare does and she did stand fine. She'd been trying to kill him before that! But with their mare, as I say there is only one day and if they miss it, thats it, he erm.... only has one shot at it! (But usually successfully).

And she was fine from that covering , it was the second one, on day 3 that she had the problems. At least now we know that she is slightly longer cycling than the 15 out and 5 in, she's more like 6 days in season and 17 out so 23 days not 20-21. So on that working, she should come into season Saturday, be covered Monday and Wednesday and I'm guessing she should (by the vets estimate too) ovulate Tues/Weds.

So everything STILL crossed!

Then scan mark III - 18 days from last covering...