The Good News... And the Bad News :(

khalswitz

Visit site
Bit of a mixed bag this report - and none of it even involved competing this time.

The bad news first. Geoff is broken :(

As I posted a little while ago with the dramatic shoe-twisting and foot-impaling scenario, and the subsequent jumping outing where he turned into a rodeo pony again for the first time in seven months, he has been as high as a kite. He even came in one day lathered an inch thick in sweat from the field. Something has been Up.

I went up to catch him on Wednesday night and the YO caught me. Said Geoff had been very unsettled and jumping up onto the bank next to the fence line and down again, and galloping right up to the gate as if to jump (which he can!) before skidding to a halt and galloping off again. Went down just to feed, as had a horrific cold, and he ambled up to me. Fed him, but noticed he was a bit... Trippy. He went to walk away, and on the turn I watched him trip again. He wasn't right.

When I took him on the hard and tried to trot him up he looked clearly lame, on the hind leg where he had twisted the shoe two weeks before. Must have abscessed. Took him in, and called the farrier who came out the next morning. He was very quiet when I arrived, unlike him, and when I took him out of the box he looked very, very lame on his opposite fore. Farrier took a quick look and agreed opposite fore, no sign of any tenderness in either foot.

I did a thermal scan, to see what I really didn't want to see - a lot of heat over the inside of his fetlock. I didn't have my computer with me so couldn't refine the images to get a look at the individual tendons, but that was now my fear.

Out came the vet, who said on palpation he seemed very tender over the inside of his fetlock. She said it didn't seem specific to a tendon or tendon extension, so he is on box rest for a week with antiinflammatories. If he is still lame, we start nerve blocking and scanning tendons. But I am keeping fingers crossed for it just being a strain from hooning around the field. He has been a very good, quiet patient so far, which to be honest is a bad sign... If he was feeling well he'd be very angry by now...

However, some better news. I've been looking for a part time job alongside my business for a wee while now, just to keep me going through the quieter winter season especially. Part time office work has proved hard to find, and I'm hating doing bar work with a passion. However, I saw a flexible part time position advertised last week on an event yard - I applied, was interviewed, and have been offered it!

It's part time, assisting with general yard duties, cover when they are away (with not very many events let alone international events in Scotland they travel quite a bit), and a bit of riding. I'm very excited, albeit a bit nervous. Have warned them that I'm no comp groom, and whilst I'm very happy and confident dealing with youngsters and riding different types of horses I am far, far from a pro rider. I go along for a half day on Monday to sort out the fine details and get to know the routine a bit.

So all very mixed news in our world at the moment!! Vibes appreciated for Geoff, and fingers crossed for me for Monday!!!

khalswitz

Visit site
Sorry to hear about Geoff. Lots of vibes for a speedy recovery. And lots of good luck to you for Monday!

Well done on your new job and best of luck with it. Vibes and hugs to Geoff

Do hope it is nothing serious for Geoff. We'll send get well quickly vibes to him.
Well done on the job - sounds great :)

Oh no, sorry about Geoff, hope it's nothing serious.

The new job opportunity sounds great, have a fab time on Monday :)

Thanks all. He is being VERY quiet so am very suspicious. He hasn't even raided all the boxes of rugs that I keep in his stable, which I thought he might do, and looks like he's barely box-walked - very unlike him :(. I took a book over this afternoon and settled into a rug at the back of his stable to keep him company, and he just lay down beside me! Poor boy :(

I'm really looking forward to Monday though - am really excited to learn lots, and get a little more involved in the eventing world :) just hope I don't make an idiot of myself!

Lolo

Visit site
Oh, I have all my fingers and toes crossed that he's just given himself a bang and a fright, and will be right as rain after a bit of a rest.

But what brilliant news about the job, how exciting. You will love it- Al is in her element as a groom, it's where she really found her feet and all sorts of doors can open to you with it.

khalswitz

Visit site
Oh, I have all my fingers and toes crossed that he's just given himself a bang and a fright, and will be right as rain after a bit of a rest.

But what brilliant news about the job, how exciting. You will love it- Al is in her element as a groom, it's where she really found her feet and all sorts of doors can open to you with it.

I'm really, really hoping so. Was just getting ready for Petplans which are middle of next month, and getting all ready for a quiet winter working away to get going next season again. Thanks for the vibes!

I'm really excited about it. I'm just hoping I'm not a total plonker! It's something I've always wanted to do, and will fit perfectly alongside my current work.

Hope the injury isn't anything serious, well done on the new job sounds more fun than office work.

Thanks. I'm sure it will be!!!

hope it's nothing serious - will keep my fingers crossed for you. Good luck with the new job.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will have to live vicariously through Lenny reports in the meantime, nudge nudge ;)

blood_magik

Visit site
Thanks. I appreciate it. I will have to live vicariously through Lenny reports in the meantime, nudge nudge ;)

there will hopefully be something up later today. :)
I really do hope Geoff is okay. I know how frustrating it can be having to wait to see if your horse really has broken himself. Chin up, Mrs. x

khalswitz

Visit site
there will hopefully be something up later today. :)
I really do hope Geoff is okay. I know how frustrating it can be having to wait to see if your horse really has broken himself. Chin up, Mrs. x

I'm trying not to think 'what if' too much, and just concentrate on just now. It hit me that if he has done a tendon, then that is probably our eventing dreams over before they've even really begun :( so trying not to dwell on it too much. Thanks for the sympathy though, I appreciate it xxxx

blood_magik

Visit site
try not to think that way - doing a tendon doesn't always mean the end. My late veteran did his hind SDFT aged 21 and he came back stronger than ever despite the vet saying he'd never jump again.
Try to keep your chin up. It's no use worrying about the what if's. x

PolarSkye

Visit site
I'm trying not to think 'what if' too much, and just concentrate on just now. It hit me that if he has done a tendon, then that is probably our eventing dreams over before they've even really begun :( so trying not to dwell on it too much. Thanks for the sympathy though, I appreciate it xxxx

I am the Queen of "what if" . . . if you have ever taken a look at my thread on Kal's recovery from lameness back in April of this year, you'll know ;). However, please try and take a breath and park the nasty thoughts . . . you don't yet know what's causing Geoff's lameness . . . and torturing yourself won't help - so there!

Sending Geoff "get well you numpty" vibes . . . and a hug for you for good measure.

P

khalswitz

Visit site
I am the Queen of "what if" . . . if you have ever taken a look at my thread on Kal's recovery from lameness back in April of this year, you'll know ;). However, please try and take a breath and park the nasty thoughts . . . you don't yet know what's causing Geoff's lameness . . . and torturing yourself won't help - so there!

Sending Geoff "get well you numpty" vibes . . . and a hug for you for good measure.

P

Thank you. Both of my last two suffered lamenesses that left them unrideable and ultimately even field-lame, so I have a bit of a paranoia - but, and this might seem silly, with both of them i had a horrible gut feeling when the lameness started, and with Geoff I haven't. So that is probably what is keeping me from having a full blown panic. He has suffered tweaks before with me, one whilst I was riding him, and whilst this is worse, I'm hoping it is just the same thing...

But thanks for the vibes, I appreciate it :) xx

khalswitz

Visit site
And another set of (((vibes))) for Geoff, that he recovers quickly and fully! And good luck tomorrow! :)

Thank you!!!! :D

blood_magik said:
try not to think that way - doing a tendon doesn't always mean the end. My late veteran did his hind SDFT aged 21 and he came back stronger than ever despite the vet saying he'd never jump again.
Try to keep your chin up. It's no use worrying about the what if's. x

Whoops, I missed your reply! Thanks - that does make me feel a little better! :D

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Sending Geoff get well soon vibes! Hopefully it will be just a bump. Well done on new job. Sounds like it good be a lot of fun.