The Great Yorkshire

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Anyone give me some ideas please.

We are going to the show, leaving home on Monday early and can't get into the hotel in Wetherby until late afternoon.

I would like to make the Monday part of our mini break and need ideas for things to do/see, visit on the journey. Route is M40 out of Worcestershire, M1. Harlow Carr and Valley Gardens have caught my eye but both are Harrogate rather than on route.

Tuesday is hunter day and the reason for me going. Hubby will be given a £1 and told to amuse himself whilst I watch the classes and dream about having a horse good enough to compete again. Wednesday we will wander the showground together trying not to spend any money.

Many thanks for any thoughts or recommendations.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Did a reply and the forum's new gremlins ate it goddamit!

Yorkshire Sculpture Park at Bretton?

Still an hour or so from your destination.

https://ysp.org.uk/

Outdoor sculpture park with restaurant and shop.

I used to ride from the M1 junction to the park in a few minutes, so it won't add to your journey.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Wonder if I could sneak Ted in and dump him, he would be a magic pit pony.

Ha Ha, he would soon be wedged! I am not sure if they are still there or not.

Nooooooo…. I just looked, and not only do they still have ponies, they say they also have a huge Clydesdale, so Ted would feel right at home! …

"Finn is our Gentle Giant! He is a Clydesdale and stands at a huge 17.3hh! Bred for temparement, size and strength, horses such as Finn were largely used above ground for delivering coal and shunting on the railways as well as in agriculture. In some areas, mines had high roadways. In these mines, large horses could be found working underground."...

https://www.ncm.org.uk/your-visit

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
If you fancy a bit of pre-show shopping, you could go the Pot House Hamlet at Silkstone just off the M1 at Barnsley (sorry can't remember the junction number), there is a nice table service cafe for lunch and you could go on to Cannon Hall easily from there too.
The Pot House Hamlet started life as a Rose Nursery but now has a bigger Garden Centre, the cafe, several small independent shops and a petting 'zoo', as well. Or you could go there for an early lunch and then onto the Mining Museum (the museum cafe is nowhere near as nice, lol).

neddy man

Visit site
If you fancy a bit of pre-show shopping, you could go the Pot House Hamlet at Silkstone just off the M1 at Barnsley (sorry can't remember the junction number), there is a nice table service cafe for lunch and you could go on to Cannon Hall easily from there too.
The Pot House Hamlet started life as a Rose Nursery but now has a bigger Garden Centre, the cafe, several small independent shops and a petting 'zoo', as well. Or you could go there for an early lunch and then onto the Mining Museum (the museum cafe is nowhere near as nice, lol).

J37 then 1mile

teacups

Visit site
Depends what you like! Harlow Carr is great if you like gardening esp, but is definitely Harrogate although on the outskirts.

Harewood House is not quite en route but is about 10 mins from Wetherby, head for Collingham from M1, then in Collingham turn off for Harewood. It has some gardens & a bird garden, the house itself is also nice. There is another house + garden not too far from M1 in South Yorks which is supposed to be nice, not been, name escapes me though! In fact there are probably several on the way.

The Yorkshire Sculpture Park is just off the M1 near Wakefield, a modern art gallery and sculptures dotted about a large parkland grounds which belonged to Bretton Hall.
Maybe you should specify whether you like art, gardens, shopping, activities, city or not, etc. <g> If you like shopping and shopping malls then Meadowhall in Sheffield will be perfect, it's huge - right by the M1.

Have a lovely time at the Show - I've still never been! - and set off early to avoid the traffic, as no doubt everyone will tell you. Look forward to hearing about it.

teacups

Visit site
Ooh it worked! Tried to send that yesterday afternoon, but kept getting an error message. Just spotted somewhere else that logging out & back in again helps, and it worked...let's see if this one goes...

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Thank you so much. We are looking at all suggestions, we are gardening/heritage/history types although we do plan to have a walk around Harrogate in the evening.

I am looking forward to the show, it is a mecca for hunters and I have never been before, even when I had a horse good enough as it is too far away.

The weather is suggesting cooler temps for Harrogate so hopefully it will be comfortable, unlike Worcestershire at the moment. We have a large countryside show right on our doorstep today but I have withdrawn Miss Sick Note and the Pocket Rocket. 30 degrees and concrete going is no fun for anyone.

teacups

Visit site
I know next to nothing about hunters either so will definitely be interesting to hear what you think of the Yorkshire Show offering.

Wetherby itself is also quite nice, I think - you can walk by the river if you still have energy left, and it still has a greengrocer, butcher, fishmonger. There is a tack shop called Fox saddlers you could have a nose around in too.

30 C up here too this weekend - but yes, next week should be cooler than that. I can imagine withdrawing them. At least nobody will have to be pulled out by tractors at the end of any Shows right now <g>

Last edited:

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I was at GYS on Weds and Thurs and had a fabulous time.

On Thursday, while wandering around the main ring, we caught the demonstration by the hounds and local hunts. One horse there was absolutely beautiful (well, they were all beautiful but one was more my type). I didn't get any pictures but it was a big spotty cob, possibly a xbred Normandy cob?? Did anyone else see it or get a picture?

ETA: assuming xbred because I thought Normandy cobs were Bay or possibly a solid colour.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
We had a most lovely 3 days in Yorkshire, my first visit and I will certainly be going back.

Day one we visited Harlow Carr which was lovely, the weather had scorched a fair bit of the garden but there were plenty of beautiful area and the stream walk was fabulous. The chocolate ice bream cone from Betty's Tea Room was simply the best ice cream ever. After a walk around Harrogate we went into Valley Gardens right in the town centre to picnic for our supper. Valley Gardens are amazing, run by Harrogate Council, they are huge and immaculate. One of life's simple pleasures, a picnic on a park bench in the evening sunshine. It is an alcohol prohibited area so we hid our shared tin of fruit cider in our picnic bag !

Our hotel was a little basic on the A1M Wetherby but cheap, clean and just 7 miles from the show ground. Hunter judging started at 7.30 with the novices so we left early and still queued to get in. Whichever HH forum member who suggested having membership, I thank you wholeheartedly. I took your advice and the perk of forward parking was a massive advantage, a five minute walk into the ground. The public parking was miles of walking.

Husband given a pound and told to clear off, I settled in the stands, and goodness what stands they are ! to watch the hunters. Quality from top to bottom of the line in every class. Ride judge Nigel Fuller rode every horse nicely and got a good tune out of most of them. The main ring is huge and was well watered allowing the hunters to gallop properly. The outer rings were also watered and the horses really relished the going. There was a nasty fall in the HW and the poor lady was down for a while but the incident was dealt with really well.

My back seat judging from the stands was reasonable so that pleased me, especially in the maxi cobs on the Wednesday as there was a super type right down in 18th who, I felt had been hard done by and should have been in 7th ish. He was pulled right up into 8th in the final stages. Another highlight was watching Adorable Alice's half brother take his Hoy's ticket with a win in the ladies.

Lorenzo and his horses entertained in the afternoon, how does he train those horses. The heavies filled the ring and were an amazing sight, as were the Dales and Fells, both massive classes. The hunter broodmares and foals made me want to breed again, the foal would have to stay a foal though, don't want anymore youngsters to deal with.

The cattle lines were huge and filled with magnificent stock, the dedication of those stockmen is so evident. We treated ourselves to some wine and cheese in the food hall before watching the Cumbrian Axe Men pole climb, 10 seconds to go up 180 feet, insane ! We were lucky with the weather, it was warm but not exhaustingly hot and we had lots to drink so both days were comfortable. The GYS was very impressive and anyone with farming, equine or countryside interests would love it,

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
I was at GYS on Weds and Thurs and had a fabulous time.

On Thursday, while wandering around the main ring, we caught the demonstration by the hounds and local hunts. One horse there was absolutely beautiful (well, they were all beautiful but one was more my type). I didn't get any pictures but it was a big spotty cob, possibly a xbred Normandy cob?? Did anyone else see it or get a picture?

ETA: assuming xbred because I thought Normandy cobs were Bay or possibly a solid colour.
Highmoor Bloodhounds had a chunky spotty when they paraded (photos on their fb page), is that the one you mean?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm glad you had a good time, AA. We went on the Tuesday and watched the sidesaddle class. It was great that it wasn't the traditional 'Ladies' Hunter' and, although there were some very nice horses forward, the winner was a cob. We only went on the one day this year so had to combine our horse watching with shopping and sheep.

Do come back to Yorkshire, there is loads more to see.

jojo5

Visit site
We went last year and by the sound of it stayed in the same hotel not far from the show ground, AA, basic but convenient and clean. As we were not having a holiday ( moved house) we treated ourselves to a VIP package, which was expensive but really worth it. Forward parking, our own table all day in the members building and a guaranteed seat in the stands ( not numbered but they only do the number of VIP packages that fit in that section of the stands), also morning tea/ coffee, a lovely lunch and afternoon tea. It was great!
Would have loved to have someone as knowledgable as you to watch the show classes with, though! The perfect day!