The hack started off so well then....

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I decided to be brave and set off home the long way round and without company. So my first part solo hack on my newish horse, started off around the lanes he was good, neighed alittle but we got round. Turned to go back down the 60mph road back to the yard and bang he took off with me! Managed to stop him after the van we were racing stopped ( along with my heart at this point ) I then got off and lead him the short distance back to the yard. It wasn't a bolt about 8 strides of canter, but very scary. He does pull away from me sometimes when leading him from the field, seems that's what he is doing when being ridden. I've had him 8 weeks now and really feel like sending him back.

We went on a farm ride last week and he was brilliant. My friend rode out on her horse the other day and he took off when a lorry came up behind him, and he also did it again yesterday when we were out and my horse followed. Which makes me think he will now make a habit of it because he can. I really don't want to give up on him, but I don't want to die either ;-(

woodlandswow

Visit site
:( how scary, maybe it was the fast cars.. has he been on the fast road before? get some friends to go with you that way more then have some more goes going solo but in places where it is safe so he knows not to do it. maybe you could get someone more experienced to take him
its just a matter of not letting him get away with it
all horses take time to settle, dont worry too much and enjoy him for what it is!!

Paddy Irish

Visit site
The trouble is with these situations is that they soon become ' chicken or egg' in that you will automatically tense up when you're out on the fast road in anticipation of him taking off with you , which in turn will trigger him into taking off with you. Can you do this ride the other way round so that you are doing the road part going away from home and the lanes on the way back? If your new horse is everything you wanted except for this hiccup , then stick with him and don't go down the fast lane until you've either got company to give your confidence a boost. The longer you take getting to know one another the better it'll become , ATM it's just a balance of terror!

Firewell

Visit site
Aw it's hardly surprising really when a big lorry comes up behind him fast, he sounds like he's being quite good really.
My horse spooks and shoots off for a few strides all the time, it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I just quickly bring him back and just carry on as normal.
Really it does sound quite a normal reaction, I'm sure he will get better as he gets used to road.
Just think if it this way, so he spooked and ran forwards, nothing awful happened, he stopped, all was OK. It's just one of those things.
If I was you I'd just relax, you haven't had him long, your confidence in him will grow. Maybe next time you ride down that road make sure you have him between hand and leg to make him feel a bit safer, maybe flex him left and right, do a few strides of shoulder in at walk just to take both your minds off it.
You'll be fine don't worry, also you don't have to hack him on your own just yet if you do feel tense, take your time there is no rush :)

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
I can't avoid the road as its directly outside my yard, I've hacked him loads of times in company and he's been fine, a little jumpy but nothing major. And it wasn't just a few steps forward he did canter off. The cars were behind him the van didn't really come up that fast behind him so I'm really not sure why he

It wasn't my horse who ran off when the lorry came up behind him it was my friends.