The hairiest horse in the world

Marquire

Visit site
Have I got the hairiest horse in the world?

Now no-one knows Grumpy Boy's breeding although it is generally believed by his previous owner that he came over from Ireland as a 4 year old with a 'batch' of horses sold to a hunting yard in the borders. The general consensus is that he's mostly irish TB with a bit of ID thrown in for good measure but he doesn't have feathers or anything.

However, last night he had his THIRD clip since October. That's one clip every 3 and a half weeks! Is this normal?????
It's not as if I'm clipping for the sake of it. He was so hairy after 3 weeks this time that you could bearly see the clip lines from the last clip and he gets so hot when he's ridden he need the hair off.

Is anyone else finding their horse needing to be clipped more this year?

piaffe

Visit site
Poor you! I hate clipping. Im clipping my two tonight for the first time this winter.
grin.gif

Tempi

Visit site
Bloss has been clipped out twice already, her first clip grew back really quickly which it usually does, and her second one i only did just over a week ago..............im praying it dosent grow back too quickly as i want to last her out until the middle of february for her next one.......

miller

Visit site
Just done mine for the 4th time - have to clip every 2-3 weeks from Oct to beginning of Jan then it's done for another year!

He is 1/2tb, 1/4ID 1/4 Welsh D

Rambo

Visit site
Trike has had 2 clips already and isn't far off needing his 3rd too
smile.gif
Even Bo who grew next to no coat last year and wasn't clipped at all until January, has had 1 clip and it's completely grown out already.

Kelly1982

Visit site
I am so lucky my horse bearly needed clipping the 1st time and she still hasn't grown any hair back after 3 weeks
shocked.gif

My friends horse though is soooo hairy and in desperate need of a clip and this will be his 3rd time this year too, he is a warmblood.

KatB

Visit site
If I had had clippers, mine would have been about to be done for the 5th time. But then I did clip him at the end of Sept first cos he had a ODE he needed to be furless for!!!

albert

Visit site
my TB who normaly gets away with one clip a year needs doing again and he had HW rugs with necks at all times.

My cob has been done twice and ok at mo but will need doing again by xmas and she is really rugged up as well.

Rambo

Visit site
Hair re-growth is as much to do with light as temperature. The weather has been very mild so far this winter so it's unlikely to be a shortage of rugging. Everyone I have spoken to has said their horses have been growing coats so much quicker than usual this year
crazy.gif

jayvee

Visit site
I think I got one of the hairiest..
Murphy the Clyde x is soo hairy he even blunts the clippers after 2 clips!
He is clipped right ot inc his legs, and feels much better for it.
Am considering clipping him through out the year. As his coat is extremly thick in the summer aswell and suffers for it poor bug.

jayvee

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hair re-growth is as much to do with light as temperature. The weather has been very mild so far this winter so it's unlikely to be a shortage of rugging. Everyone I have spoken to has said their horses have been growing coats so much quicker than usual this year
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhh maybe this is a sign for a really hard winter looming?!

Theresa_F

Visit site
About to do the boys again - he has been 4 weeks. Cairo and Chancer have nearly all their hair back.

I am actually considering taking a lot more off this time, they are sweating up just playing in the school without rugs on for 20 mins. Cairo comes back from hacks dripping. I am still using summer turnouts and 150 g night rugs - it is still not cold in the south east.

Bet the minute I do it snows.
mad.gif

miller

Visit site
Definitely not rugging in my lads case- he gets checked at 11pm and is def warm enough - any warmer and he'd be sweating! Horses winter coat will grow until the nights stop getting shorter (21st Dec) as nature intended - only way round it is a UV light.

izzyxxx

Visit site
i dont clip mine because i would be doing it every week she is an appy x welsh cob and already she has 2 inches of fur!!! being only 14hh she looks like her legs are 2 small and is impersonating a teddy bear her spots are starting to disapear as her fur takes over and she ends up sheding her coat up until september i tried rugging her up last year to reduce how much it grew but it didnt work so i give up lol !!!!