the healing power of horses

Allie5

Visit site
My posts recently have been hugely life changingly sad. It really is a crappy time and having brought the horses in tonight i hunkered down in the corner of Darceys stable for a good cry. The yard was quiet but i was trying not to make any noise in case. YO appeared. To be honest I really lost control, i guess I felt safe so I just let it all pour out. I have been so surrounded by pain, fear, illness, injustice, abuse and misery recently i had to let it out. Darcey turned her back on her haynet. (in itself a huge thing for my :fat: mare!) and came to stand with me. She made no attempt to touch me but stood as you see a mare watching a sleeping foal, with her head almost at the ground just beside me. It felt like she would have hugged me if she could. She absorbed all the pain and waited until the moment passed. When i sorted myself out she watched me stand up and moved forwards until her head was pressed against my chest. Literally a second or two but enough pressure to let me know she was there. Then she lifted her head and looked me square in the eyes. And went back to her haynet. She's never been the most demonstrative of mares so this just seems so extraordinarily sensitive to me. Then i went in to see Tommy, my Billy Butter goofball baby boy. He chewed my shoelaces, twanged the elastic on my jacket against my butt, threw a brush at me, reversed into me to scratch his tail, pointed out his itchy belly......I arrived at the yard an emotional wreck and left feeling like a weight has been lifted. I shared my pain and he made me smile.
I apologise for the gushing post but my goodness don't we share our lives with astonishing animals!

tazzle

www.funbugfund.co.uk
I am sorry that you have been feeling such sadness recently ( we need a huggy smilie here !) but I am glad you have the horses to get away to ;)

My mare has absorbed a few of my tears over the years but I remember a time when someone elses mare did a very simila thing to your Darcey . She was a kind of loner really, mostly grazed on her own and not one much for people. One day I really lost it sitting at the edge of the big field ( over 20 acres) , sobbing my heart out. Then I became aware of her right next to me ..... and for the next twenty minutes or more she grazed inches from my feet :) . She let me touch her and fondle her ears ( again unusual) ....... then she just seemed to decide I was ok and wandered off.

Never did see her ever choose to be that close to any human in the field again ;)

I am not anthromorphising but I do believe there is more to horses than just pure reactions to stimuli or instincitve behaviour ;)

ISHmad

Visit site
We are truly blessed to have horses in our lives. Allie5 take care of yourself, what a beautiful emotional memory to treasure always.