The impact of ISH's coming over (or not comig over actually)

18hhOlls&Me

Visit site
I'm looking for an eventer, 17hh or up (I'm 9 1/2 stone), have been enjoying XC so much as well as sj and dressage that I decided my next horse would be an established (10 yr or roundabout). I've got a friend Robert Smith who is has been so kind to help me find the perfect horse; he was my trainer so knows how I ride. Looking to progress through intermediate. He is positive we will find something in the next 2-3 weeks but he mentioned that the prices of UK and European horses have skyrocketed since there are so few ISH making their way over....seems such a shame,and it's all wrapped up in politics. Some horses I looked at expecting to be £15,000 were £25000 ovno. Fingers crossed I will find 'the one' and if anyone knows a brave, scopey 17hh WB or ISH or similar, I will pay a finders fee of £1000! I don't want to miss this summer riding as I am working part time for home, then come autumn some serious training! 5 * professional yard awaits. Unless Robert gets in first!! How are other people on the market faring finding a suitable horse? xx

Widgeon

Visit site
I can't help but wonder why being 9.5 stone means you need a 17hh horse? I'm a stone heavier than you, and 5'8", and ride a 15.1 (admitedly he is cobby, and might be a bit small to event, but you probably get my point). Does it have to be quite so big? You might widen your search if you looked at 16hh upwards. Jack Thomas-Watson up in Northumberland imports some nice jumping / event types from Ireland, they're usually quite green but they are nice and from my limited dealings with him he seems honest.

honetpot

Visit site
I can not help thinking that getting a horse to that age and that size with some competition record, that will pass a full vetting, will make it expensive and as rare as hen's teeth.
If you look at the thread about the costs of BE, plus the size of the horse, if you really have produced that diamond wouldn't you want the very best price for your investment.

I'm Dun

Visit site
I think you are looking at more like 3 x upwards of the 15k you quoted unfortunately. 15k seems to get you a nice RC allrounder type if you can find a sound one! Something already produced, with the ability to go on to intermediate and then be produced by a pro is going to be incredibly expensive

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Agree about the price point, if you got that for £25k you’d be doing well and I’d be looking for the “buts”.

But yes, selling from Ireland to GB has become a huge ball ache since Brexit, so horses are going elsewhere.

honetpot

Visit site
I think you are looking at more like 3 x upwards of the 15k you quoted unfortunately. 15k seems to get you a nice RC allrounder type if you can find a sound one! Something already produced, with the ability to go on to intermediate and then be produced by a pro is going to be incredibly expensive
I was going to say that but I never buy horses that expensive, so never window shop in that price range. I know someone who bought a young riders horse twenty years ago, it was about 15.2, and they paid over £30k.