The importance of a good Ad photo-

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
*Waves at anyone who remembers me*

Would YOU go and see this horse? (he's mine, btw, I can be as rude about him as I like) I was looking for a sharpish bay mare (bit like PF, if you remember her) to bring on to showjump up to 1.10m, but you know how life works out...

I know his breeder v well and I know he has a lot of very nice horses, but he is TERRIBLE at presenting them. He also misunderstood the directive :p and said "I've got a very quiet 4 yo grey gelding that would suit you..."

10513447_10152530428661798_5454081903043750853_n.jpg

Honestly, he does look a bit like a camel. I wasn't impressed and I certainly didn't want a GREY (think of all the washing!!) but out of courtesy and curiosity I went to have a look

He didn't look much better in the flesh. VERY narrow, very overgrown feet. However, he DID feel very very safe and he had lovely paces. He popped a few jumps with the minimum of fuss, but also the minimum of effort. Rather listless, in fact. Nothing like LC (remember him? He's SEVEN next week!!) who is the Freddie Mercury of the horse world. He was also hopelessly unfit.

This is the photo I took while I was there, after riding, so grubby and sweaty.

10502142_10152530435606798_3884834249274279181_n.jpg

He already looks so much nicer, doesn't he? Coat like a yak, bless him.
Remember I said he was safe? I LOVED that, so I pretended to think about it for all of 10 minutes, agreed terms and he was mine.

This is him when I got him home. He already looks more cheerful :p

10488049_10152530431486798_4417804316367349906_n.jpg

And this is him after a clip and a tidy up, that same day.
10423661_10152530429596798_8160149170210651427_n.jpg

Same horse, photos taken a week apart. Which one would you have gone to see?
For those interested, he's a WB out of a trakehner mare by For Caletto.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/for+caletto

First show (90cm) aged 5- Love my tweed ;)

11666117_10153450913141798_5746104144811721517_n.jpg

11694868_10153450913351798_2064588575240308705_n.jpg

Fiona

Visit site
No way would I have gone to see the first one, bum looks a hand higher than his wither..

Amazing the difference a good pic makes.. He looks great.

Fiona

be positive

Visit site
That first photo is dreadful, it would put most people off, he is a smart looking boy and it just shows why a poor photo in an ad is worse than no photo, you would go and look on his breeding and the fact that he is homebred, just as well you know his breeders and were able to look past the initial appearance.

It looks dry and sunny in Argentina, pouring with rain here yet again!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
That first photo is dreadful, it would put most people off, he is a smart looking boy and it just shows why a poor photo in an ad is worse than no photo, you would go and look on his breeding and the fact that he is homebred, just as well you know his breeders and were able to look past the initial appearance.

It looks dry and sunny in Argentina, pouring with rain here yet again!!

I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't know the breeder!
It's not very dry at the moment; we have wet summers and dry winters. At least it's not cold :)

rachk89

Visit site
Wow what a difference you've made. Well done. :) On the first photo you took though, I got so confused with his legs, they looked like they were crossed at first, then I looked properly, but weird first glance.

Bernster

Visit site
Haha great contrast in those pics. Def goes to show its worth a good shot, although your seller might think he did just fine selling him from that dodgy photo ��

4Hoofed

Visit site
Agree with this 1000%! SO many ads I see around (especially on FB etc.,) and I just want to ring them and say, right 1 good on side shot, clean horse, level ground (one of each side if it's a coloured!), no garbage dumps, decaying muck etc., in the background. Maybe one good head shot, and a ridden picture. Maybe a jumping picture if thats what the horse is good at, either over a proper XC fence, a hedge or a fence, no garden chairs and brooms! Don't have a decent jump shot? Either go somewhere to take one if the horse is worth it, or wait till they view it to break the bad news re: garden chair, broom situation! We've all been there (well I have.. more broken trees baling twined up in woods...) but the whole internet doesn't need to bloody see! Or a million selfies of you with said horse! :D I look sometimes just out of nosey parker syndrome and just wonder if these horses ever sell!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Agree with this 1000%! SO many ads I see around (especially on FB etc.,) and I just want to ring them and say, right 1 good on side shot, clean horse, level ground (one of each side if it's a coloured!), no garbage dumps, decaying muck etc., in the background. Maybe one good head shot, and a ridden picture. Maybe a jumping picture if thats what the horse is good at, either over a proper XC fence, a hedge or a fence, no garden chairs and brooms! Don't have a decent jump shot? Either go somewhere to take one if the horse is worth it, or wait till they view it to break the bad news re: garden chair, broom situation! We've all been there (well I have.. more broken trees baling twined up in woods...) but the whole internet doesn't need to bloody see! Or a million selfies of you with said horse! :D I look sometimes just out of nosey parker syndrome and just wonder if these horses ever sell!
So many ad photos are just sooo awful. And agree about the untidy backgrounds! It looks so dodgy!