The joy of a new saddle!!!!

Shoei

Visit site
After having Chester nearly a year and a couple of crashing falls from the working hunter saddle he came with I decided to get a dressage saddle and seperate jumping saddle. Wow... What a difference! I've been working him in the dressage saddle this week and the difference is so noticeable. I can wrap my legs around, sit deep and he goes so much better.

Bit of a pointless post really but I've only ever had GP saddles and just wanted to share my joy!

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha I share your joy, I got the worst GP fitted by a master saddler that made me feel like one false move and I was out the door, then a lovely flexible treed close contact one that rectified all my fears, now using a jumping saddle as more secure for the fast work with good knee support and cranking those stirrups up higher and higher, yay for saddle based confidence!

MissJessica

Visit site
I am looking for a dressage saddle, what did you go for? And yes I know your joy, I had a new saddle in March.
I bought one that fitted my boy when I first bought him, it was very old and second hand and I used to slide around in the massive seat two sizes too big for me! Having one that fits me too is a dream xx

Nannon

Visit site
I got my first ever brand new saddle 2 weeks ago and it's the best thing ever! It currently has 2 fleece covers on it and stirrup booties :) I know the novelty will wear off but I don't want to mark it!!

Shoei

Visit site
It's a Jeffries dressage saddle. It is actually 2nd hand, I had a saddle fitter come out who had loads to try and this suited both of us the best. It really is so comfy!!!

Shoei

Visit site
I purchased two fleece saddle covers too.... We struggle with damp in our tack room so hoping they will help.... Obviously I have also had to buy new saddle cloths, stirrups and leathers and now need 2 new bridles to match 😆

Nannon

Visit site
Hope so!! I unfortunately spent more than I wanted to on the saddle soooo currently clashy clashy with brown stirrup leathers on a black saddle eek!! Also have brown bridle still! How embarrassing :p my birthday list is bridles!!

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha I put up with my brown stirrup leathers never matching anything even brown saddles til I found this brown and tan saddle, it was fate I tell you!

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
Thanks for this thread... It has made me think. Just bought a new pony and I currently have a dressage saddle that I know won't come close to fitting her. She's a table-for-a-back connie and it's an Isabel werth do curved tree.

I'm off to yhl tomorrow and gonna look at saddles. My friend mentioned the thorowgood gp cob but I'm really wanting a dressage saddle, but want to do whp so will 'need' a wh saddle but dislike them to jump in.

Hhhmmmmm!!

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Atlantis , thorowgood saddles are more curved than wintec. Not sure about their cob models, but certainly the standard GPs are.

The Thorowgood Cob models are as flat as they come.

Thanks for this thread... It has made me think. Just bought a new pony and I currently have a dressage saddle that I know won't come close to fitting her. She's a table-for-a-back connie and it's an Isabel werth do curved tree.

I'm off to yhl tomorrow and gonna look at saddles. My friend mentioned the thorowgood gp cob but I'm really wanting a dressage saddle, but want to do whp so will 'need' a wh saddle but dislike them to jump in.

Hhhmmmmm!!

How about the Thorowgood Cob Dressage? http://www.thorowgood.com/T8-Cob-Dressage.html

Then a K&M monoflap jump (built on the TG cob tree):http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111507929408?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Or a Thorowgood jump (also on cob tree): http://www.thorowgood.com/T8-Jump.html

Then an Jeffries WH saddle (the Jeffries ones seem to suit flat backs).

This is assuming that you're made of money, which you're probably not! At a push you could do dressage in the WH saddle I suppose? Or decide what you'd rather do first while you save up for another saddle?

Princess Rosie

Visit site
I've recently swopped from a farrington WH into a thorowgood T8 cob dressage and I'm very impressed, very comfy and feels like you are riding in a decent leather saddle due to the leather seat and knee rolls, definitely feel more secure in it than the WH (although I still somehow stayed on in the WH through a "whoo hoo" bucking fit).

marmalade88

Visit site
The boy came with a horrid Wintec thing as few months ago. I didn't invest at the time as I knew he'd change shape. Went and bought a lovely 1 yr old Kieffer Garmisch, so comfortable for general riding and jumping, really keeps you in place. His shoulders are a lot freer to move. I will keep my eyes out for a dressage saddle next year when I've saved more as I think we'd both benefit from it. Riding at the level we're at now I don't see the advantage in having different saddles.

Shoei

Visit site
Chester is a Gelderlander so also awkward to fit ...high wither that goes far back, girth far forward and big shoulders!!! I'd recommend getting someone out who has s big range... We tried a fare few before deciding on the Jeffries.

leggs

Visit site
ooohh....i had a stubben meastoso fitted 2 months ago and it is ready and paid for but for now nearly 3 weeks I haven't had time to pick it up !! I'm sure the saddle guy thinks i'm nuts but working 12 hours a day, 7 days with then 1 day off I just don't have the opportunity to pick it up within shop hours :-( 3 more weeks of these crazy hours at work....

I chose the mocca brown so i HAVE to shop for a brown bridle as well :)

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
The Thorowgood Cob models are as flat as they come.

How about the Thorowgood Cob Dressage? http://www.thorowgood.com/T8-Cob-Dressage.html

Then a K&M monoflap jump (built on the TG cob tree):http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111507929408?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Or a Thorowgood jump (also on cob tree): http://www.thorowgood.com/T8-Jump.html

Then an Jeffries WH saddle (the Jeffries ones seem to suit flat backs).

This is assuming that you're made of money, which you're probably not! At a push you could do dressage in the WH saddle I suppose? Or decide what you'd rather do first while you save up for another saddle?

All brilliant suggestions thanks. My friend has a cob gp on her highland who also has a long flat back.

Looking forward to having a sit on some tomorrow.